The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How hydrogen atoms store and release energy?  (Read 2767 times)

Offline jccc

• View Profile
How hydrogen atoms store and release energy?
« on: 16/07/2014 18:45:22 »
If I can understand it, I might find a way to make energy.

Offline jccc

• View Profile
Re: How hydrogen atoms store and release energy?
« Reply #1 on: 21/07/2014 17:12:38 »
I think energy is stored within atoms force field. Break down atoms force field, energy will be released and produce heat etc.

Similar to open/break a compressed air tank. The pressured air flow/bang can do work, therefore energy.

If we can break down H atoms force field in water to release heat, it would be great. Nucleus power plants only used a fiction of atoms stored energy due to by products are still atoms, most energy/mass is stored in the by products.

Completely discharge/kill protons in water by some way, should release all the energy/mass.

Offline JP

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22/07/2014 01:43:14 »
Please keep threads used to promote your own theories to the "New Theories" section of the forum.

-The Mods

Offline PmbPhy

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22/07/2014 05:21:36 »
Quote from: jccc
Do you ever use Google to search for answers before you ask? It would give you a starting point. What you can't grasp from a web page you can ask on the forum.

Try starting with this - http://www.astro.umass.edu/~arny/jatoms_tut.html

Offline jccc

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24/07/2014 04:05:02 »
Electrons can orbit at only certain discrete distances from the nucleus

For example, in a hydrogen atom, the electron can orbit at a distance of about 0.05 nm, 0.2 nm, 0.45 nm, etc, but NOT at 0.6 nm or 0.02 nm. (Note: 1 nm = nanometer = 10-9 meters). Scientists describe this limitation on the orbits by saying they are quantized. Notice this is very different from the case of planets orbiting the Sun. A planet can orbit at any distance from a star. An electron can orbit an atomic nucleus at only certain distances.

The quantum nature of atomic orbits critically affects the interaction of atoms with light. Because the orbit in which an electron moves determines the energy stored in the atom and because the orbit size can only have certain values, the energy stored can only have certain values. That is, the energy stored in an atoms is quantized.

The above is from that page, so the electrons are orbiting all the time.

Charged particles accelerate in EM field will release energy, how come electrons orbit for billions of years without stop?

Offline Ethos_

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24/07/2014 04:34:02 »
We can't make energy, we can only use it or transfer it from one source to another.
« Last Edit: 24/07/2014 04:40:46 by Ethos_ »

Offline PmbPhy

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 24/07/2014 04:38:26 »
Electrons can orbit at only certain discrete distances from the nucleus
That is not true. Electrons don’t orbit the nucleus in the same way a satellite orbits the earth, i.e. as in a particle moving on a trajectory in a path that goes around the nucleus such as something moving in a circle on ellipse. You need to stop thinking like that when it comes to quantum mechanics.
For example, in a hydrogen atom, the electron can orbit at a distance of about 0.05 nm, 0.2 nm, 0.45 nm, etc, but NOT at 0.6 nm or 0.02 nm. (Note: 1 nm = nanometer = 10-9 meters). Scientists describe this limitation on the orbits by saying they are quantized. Notice this is very different from the case of planets orbiting the Sun. A planet can orbit at any distance from a star. An electron can orbit an atomic nucleus at only certain distances.
That’s also not true. Take a look at diagrams with atomic orbitals. This pa is a wonderful page for that. See - http://winter.group.shef.ac.uk/orbitron/
Just click on which one you wish to see. It’ll show you really nifty orbital diagrams. This gives you an idea of where electrons can be found in an atom under specific conditions such as the energy level, angular momentum, etc.
Charged particles accelerate in EM field will release energy, how come electrons orbit for billions of years without stop?
Charged particles only radiate energy at macroscopic levels, where Maxwell’s equations in their classical form hold but not on the microscopic level, i.e. not when they’re part of a microscopic system such as an atom, molecule or when they’re motion is around a nucleus in a solid. When they’re in solids and have a bulk motion so that there’s a macroscopic time varying field then they’ll radiate.

Haven’t you ever heard of the conservation of energy? It’s one of the most well established laws of physics. It states that energy can never be destroyed or created. All that can happen is that the form of the energy is changed.
I think energy is stored within atoms force field. Break down atoms force field, energy will be released and produce heat etc.
Then all you’re doing is releasing the energy, i.e. moving it from one place to another and changing the form of it in the process.
Similar to open/break a compressed air tank. The pressured air flow/bang can do work, therefore energy.
the gas had energy to begin with. Again, all you're doing is changing the form of the energy. But this has been going on for a very long time. Nature has been doing it for billions of years.
« Last Edit: 24/07/2014 04:46:39 by PmbPhy »

Offline bakumets

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 05/11/2014 10:23:46 »
How hydrogen atoms release energy you can read in this article

newbielink:http://www.scirp.org/journal/PaperInformation.aspx?PaperID=49252#.VFn5uhYTOUl [nonactive]

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #7 on: 05/11/2014 10:23:46 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length