The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: burning acupuncture  (Read 6990 times)

Offline Wealt

• First timers
    • View Profile
burning acupuncture
« on: 30/08/2006 22:26:28 »
Hey Naked Scientists! I have just found this board( actually it was recommended to me)
I have a question I hope ye could help me with.

I had a lot of stomach problems about 3 years ago...no appetite...constant need for a seriously ripping bottom burp and a constant pain in my solar plexus.
My work is fairly stressful so I  assumed it was psychosomatic.
The doctors I saw couldn't find anything wrong but after about 4 months of it getting worse I couldn't eat without being sick.
It got so bad that I couldn't drink water without bringing half of it back up!

I ended going to a Japanese lady who treated me with something very much like acupuncture but without needles.Instead she burnt an herb and placed it on different parts of my body.

This all happened in Holland but now I am back in England.I would love to have further treatment but I do not know what the treatment is called never mind where I could find a practitioner.

Can body help?

It aint what you got...Its how you got it

Offline iko

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: burning acupuncture
« Reply #1 on: 30/08/2006 22:43:56 »
quote:
The doctors I saw couldn't find anything wrong but after about 4 months of it getting worse I couldn't eat without being sick.
wealt

Agopunture without needles? wow!
Go back and see your doctor again, tell the new symptoms, she/he will find the solution for your problem...
Give orthodox medicine another chance. Please.
You may need endoscopy or something to check your stomach...don't wait for too long and make a common problem a scaring life-saving emergency.
And let us know!
iko
« Last Edit: 19/09/2006 21:58:23 by iko »

Offline Carolyn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30/08/2006 22:48:24 »
Hi Wealt - is it called moxa therapy?  Try this website, or google moxa therapy.
http://www.althealth.co.uk/services/info/therapies/moxa.php

Hope that helps.

Carolyn

Offline Carolyn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30/08/2006 23:00:54 »
Brian - Something else you may be interested in is a Scio.  I had this done about a year ago when my arms and hands started hurting.  The pain was excruciating.  My hands and fingers started swelling to the point that I  could barely move them.  It then spread to my ankles and knees.  I was out of town so I went to this holistic medical place on a friends recommendation.  Within a matter of minutes the pain subsided.  By that evening all of my pain and swelling were gone.  The cost wasn't as bad as I thought either.  A little more than a doctors office visit. My explanation of it doesn't do it justice, so here's another website for you to check out.

http://www.scio-wellness.com/
« Last Edit: 30/08/2006 23:02:07 by Carolyn »

ROBERT

« Reply #4 on: 31/08/2006 14:28:06 »
quote:
Originally posted by Wealt

I had a lot of stomach problems about 3 years ago...no appetite...constant need for a seriously ripping bottom burp and a constant pain in my solar plexus.

Have you considered a the posibility of Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS).
 The therapies for IBS seem more reasonable/accessible than trying to find an acupuncturist to burn Japanese herbs:-

" Drink lots of water, preferably three litres a day.

A high-fibre diet improves digestion. The amount of fibre must be increased gradually to allow the stomach to get used to it.

Avoid food or beverages that make the symptoms worse. Coffee and milk are frequent offenders.

It may be helpful to keep a diary in which you note down the foods that seem to upset your stomach.

Avoid strong spices and foods that give you wind.

Avoid large meals, but eat regularly.

Limit your alcohol intake.

What else can improve IBS?

Physical activity and exercise can improve digestion and reduce stress.

Heat treatment with hot packs, hot-water bottles or electric blankets may relieve the symptoms.

Try to reduce the number of stressful situations in your life. You might like to experiment with some of the different relaxation techniques, such as meditation.

It may be useful to keep a diary, noting what seems to cause distress in the bowel.

Try to keep things in perspective: excessive worrying about digestive problems could lead to social and psychological problems.

Which medicines are used?

Medicine for stomach cramps (antispasmodics, eg mebeverine, hyoscine). When cramps are a major problem these remedies may be helpful to the patient.

Stool-softening laxatives, if constipation is a major problem.

Medicine for treatment of gas and stomach rumbling, in cases where these are a major problem.

Tricyclic antidepressants are sometimes used to relieve pain in people who have not responded to other treatments.

Cholestyramine can help the small proportion of IBS sufferers who have diarrhoea secondary to impaired handling of bile salts within the gut.

Antidiarrhoeals such as loperamide, if diarrhoea is a major problem.

Several types of serotonin antagonists are under trial in IBS, some with encouraging results.

Long-term outlook

IBS usually occurs periodically throughout life. The symptoms can improve or get worse and may disappear for a while.

Irritable bowel syndrome is not a life-threatening condition and cannot result in cancer or serious intestinal disease. Treatment with medicines such as those mentioned above will normally ease symptoms. "

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/diseases/facts/irritablecolon.htm
« Last Edit: 31/08/2006 14:43:01 by ROBERT »

Offline iko

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30/08/2006 22:43:56 »
quote:
wealt

Agopunture without needles? wow!
Go back and see your doctor again, tell the new symptoms, she/he will find the solution for your problem...
Give orthodox medicine another chance. Please.
You may need endoscopy or something to check your stomach...don't wait for too long and make a common problem a scaring life-saving emergency.
And let us know!
iko
« Last Edit: 19/09/2006 21:58:23 by iko »

Offline Carolyn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30/08/2006 22:48:24 »
Hi Wealt - is it called moxa therapy?  Try this website, or google moxa therapy.
http://www.althealth.co.uk/services/info/therapies/moxa.php

Hope that helps.

Carolyn

Offline Carolyn

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30/08/2006 23:00:54 »
Brian - Something else you may be interested in is a Scio.  I had this done about a year ago when my arms and hands started hurting.  The pain was excruciating.  My hands and fingers started swelling to the point that I  could barely move them.  It then spread to my ankles and knees.  I was out of town so I went to this holistic medical place on a friends recommendation.  Within a matter of minutes the pain subsided.  By that evening all of my pain and swelling were gone.  The cost wasn't as bad as I thought either.  A little more than a doctors office visit. My explanation of it doesn't do it justice, so here's another website for you to check out.

http://www.scio-wellness.com/
« Last Edit: 30/08/2006 23:02:07 by Carolyn »

ROBERT

« Reply #8 on: 31/08/2006 14:28:06 »
quote:
Originally posted by Wealt

Have you considered a the posibility of Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS).
 The therapies for IBS seem more reasonable/accessible than trying to find an acupuncturist to burn Japanese herbs:-

" Drink lots of water, preferably three litres a day.

A high-fibre diet improves digestion. The amount of fibre must be increased gradually to allow the stomach to get used to it.

Avoid food or beverages that make the symptoms worse. Coffee and milk are frequent offenders.

It may be helpful to keep a diary in which you note down the foods that seem to upset your stomach.

Avoid strong spices and foods that give you wind.

Avoid large meals, but eat regularly.

Limit your alcohol intake.

What else can improve IBS?

Physical activity and exercise can improve digestion and reduce stress.

Heat treatment with hot packs, hot-water bottles or electric blankets may relieve the symptoms.

Try to reduce the number of stressful situations in your life. You might like to experiment with some of the different relaxation techniques, such as meditation.

It may be useful to keep a diary, noting what seems to cause distress in the bowel.

Try to keep things in perspective: excessive worrying about digestive problems could lead to social and psychological problems.

Which medicines are used?

Medicine for stomach cramps (antispasmodics, eg mebeverine, hyoscine). When cramps are a major problem these remedies may be helpful to the patient.

Stool-softening laxatives, if constipation is a major problem.

Medicine for treatment of gas and stomach rumbling, in cases where these are a major problem.

Tricyclic antidepressants are sometimes used to relieve pain in people who have not responded to other treatments.

Cholestyramine can help the small proportion of IBS sufferers who have diarrhoea secondary to impaired handling of bile salts within the gut.

Antidiarrhoeals such as loperamide, if diarrhoea is a major problem.

Several types of serotonin antagonists are under trial in IBS, some with encouraging results.

Long-term outlook

IBS usually occurs periodically throughout life. The symptoms can improve or get worse and may disappear for a while.

Irritable bowel syndrome is not a life-threatening condition and cannot result in cancer or serious intestinal disease. Treatment with medicines such as those mentioned above will normally ease symptoms. "

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/diseases/facts/irritablecolon.htm
« Last Edit: 31/08/2006 14:43:01 by ROBERT »

Offline scotttay

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 14/09/2006 09:54:54 »
HI,

I TOO SUFFER WITH THE SAME PROBLEM AS YOU & I SEE THE CHINESE MEDICINE PEOPLE.  I UNDERSTAND ACUPUNCTURE THROUGH THE MARTIAL ART I HAVE STUDIED; YOU CAN HAVE MOX TREATMENT THAT YOU HAD IN HOLLAND IN ANY CHINESE HERBAL MEDICINE SHOP THEY ARE DOTTED ALL OVER THE COUNTRY.  YOU CAN ALSO HAVE A BLEED DONE WHICH IS DONE AT THE BASE OF YOUR THUMB NAIL, A COUPLE OF MM BACK FROM THE CORNER OF YOUR NAIL - THEY JUST JAB IT WILL A LITTLE ARROW HEAD AND TAKE 3 OR 4 DROPS OF BLOOD TO TAKE 'FIRE' FROM THE BELLY.  THEY ALSO HAVE HERBAL TABLETS WHICH I TAKE WHICH COSTS 7.50 FOR A WEEKS SUPPLY & THEY ARE LITTLE TINY BLACK BALLS SO THEY ARE EASY TO SWALLOW WHEN YOU ARE STRUGGLING TO SWALLOW & BECAUSE THEY ARE HERBAL, THEY DO NOT DAMAGE YOUR LIVER & KIDNEYS.  ANY CHEMICAL TABLET FROM THE DOCTORS WILL DESTROY YOUR LIVER IF YOU TAKE IT FOR TOO LONG.  IF THIS HAPPENS, YOUR EYES WILL GO YELLOW & YOU WILL BECOME MENTALLY ILL.

HOPE THIS HELPS
SCOTT.

ROBERT

« Reply #10 on: 15/09/2006 16:00:43 »
quote:
Originally posted by scotttay

THEY ALSO HAVE HERBAL TABLETS WHICH I TAKE WHICH COSTS 7.50 FOR A WEEKS SUPPLY & THEY ARE LITTLE TINY BLACK BALLS SO THEY ARE EASY TO SWALLOW WHEN YOU ARE STRUGGLING TO SWALLOW & BECAUSE THEY ARE HERBAL, THEY DO NOT DAMAGE YOUR LIVER & KIDNEYS.  ANY CHEMICAL TABLET FROM THE DOCTORS WILL DESTROY YOUR LIVER IF YOU TAKE IT FOR TOO LONG.

Herbal remedies can damage the liver:-

" It is well known that people often take combinations of herbal and/or other dietary supplements. In this circumstance, if a person develops severe liver injury, identifying which supplement is the specific culprit is very difficult. "

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=20320

Just because a product is "natural" does not mean it is beneficial:
 some of the most toxic substances known occur naturally.
« Last Edit: 15/09/2006 16:07:08 by ROBERT »

Offline Gaia

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 15/09/2006 16:54:07 »
quote:
Originally posted by scotttay

HI,

I TOO SUFFER WITH THE SAME PROBLEM AS YOU & I SEE THE CHINESE MEDICINE PEOPLE.  I UNDERSTAND ACUPUNCTURE THROUGH THE MARTIAL ART I HAVE STUDIED; YOU CAN HAVE MOX TREATMENT THAT YOU HAD IN HOLLAND IN ANY CHINESE HERBAL MEDICINE SHOP THEY ARE DOTTED ALL OVER THE COUNTRY.  YOU CAN ALSO HAVE A BLEED DONE WHICH IS DONE AT THE BASE OF YOUR THUMB NAIL, A COUPLE OF MM BACK FROM THE CORNER OF YOUR NAIL - THEY JUST JAB IT WILL A LITTLE ARROW HEAD AND TAKE 3 OR 4 DROPS OF BLOOD TO TAKE 'FIRE' FROM THE BELLY.  THEY ALSO HAVE HERBAL TABLETS WHICH I TAKE WHICH COSTS 7.50 FOR A WEEKS SUPPLY & THEY ARE LITTLE TINY BLACK BALLS SO THEY ARE EASY TO SWALLOW WHEN YOU ARE STRUGGLING TO SWALLOW & BECAUSE THEY ARE HERBAL, THEY DO NOT DAMAGE YOUR LIVER & KIDNEYS.  ANY CHEMICAL TABLET FROM THE DOCTORS WILL DESTROY YOUR LIVER IF YOU TAKE IT FOR TOO LONG.  IF THIS HAPPENS, YOUR EYES WILL GO YELLOW & YOU WILL BECOME MENTALLY ILL.

HOPE THIS HELPS
SCOTT.

Whooow, slow down there Scotttay, you give dangerous advice. Any medication, allopathic (ie conventional drug therapy) or otherwise can be useful when the benefits outway the risks. And yes, herbal medicines and vitamin supplements can damage you.

Take too much vitamin A and you will eventually damage your liver and spleen.

I have had a high platelet count for the past few years and one of the first things that the consultant haematologist asked me was if I was taking any Chineese medicine because that is a very well known result. In my case no I wasn't.

Gaia  xxx
« Last Edit: 15/09/2006 16:56:42 by Gaia »

Offline iko

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 19/09/2006 22:02:39 »
Wealt disappeared for the last 20 days!
He might have been properly cured somewhere.
I hope he didn't take too many herbs all together.
Wish him a full recovery...
either alternative or orthodox.
cheers,
iko
« Last Edit: 19/09/2006 22:04:21 by iko »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #12 on: 19/09/2006 22:02:39 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums