The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Will the Amplituhedron simplify nuclear physics?  (Read 1250 times)

Offline evan_au

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Will the Amplituhedron simplify nuclear physics?
« on: 17/07/2014 12:15:27 »
A recent discovery in geometry called the Amplituhedron claims to simplify calculations of nuclear interactions.

Feynman diagrams have been used to calculate the probabilities of various nuclear interactions - but it can take 50 pages of algebra to calculate the probabilities of even fairly simple interactions.

By expressing the interactions as the volume of the Amplituhedron, it is claimed that the same nuclear interaction can now be written as a relatively simple equation on a single page.

Will this discovery make nuclear physics accessible to more people?

Listen to the story (start at 5 minutes:50 seconds): http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/scienceshow/amplituhedron-challenges-the-notion-of-space-time/5590782

Offline jeffreyH

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • The graviton sucks
    • View Profile
Re: Will the Amplituhedron simplify nuclear physics?
« Reply #1 on: 20/07/2014 16:47:59 »
I am not surprised no one has answered this as it is very new. That is what the researchers suggest. It may be combined with twistor theory at some point. That is about the extent of my knowledge as I have only studied it for a very short period of time.

Offline chiralSPO

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20/07/2014 17:05:46 »
My understanding is that it came out of the study of twistor theory.

It's certainly a nifty mathematical device. What I don't know is whether it only simplifies our calculations or whether it is actually a development of our fundamental understanding of nuclear and particle physics.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 20/07/2014 17:05:46 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums