The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Floyd Landis, any theories?  (Read 2854 times)

Offline Corbeille

• View Profile
Floyd Landis, any theories?
« on: 31/08/2006 22:34:01 »

Cheated his way to winning the Tour de France. After he rode one of the greatest comebacks in cycling he was tested and found to have an excess of testosterone in his system. He had been tested earlier in the race but nothing was detected.

Testosterone doesn't give an instant advantage to an athlete so taking it the night before wouldn't do him any good. So how come he made an amazing comeback in the Alps?

One theory I read today is that he was EPO doping and put blood back into his veins previously removed from a time he was using testosterone.  How does that stand up?

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities - Voltaire"

Offline iko

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: Floyd Landis, any theories?
« Reply #1 on: 31/08/2006 23:03:56 »
My very personal opinion is that "dope" medicine is a young specialty and sometimes, may be only a few times, innocent athletes are paying the price. I hope I'm wrong.
Haematocrit could be high in certain people for physiological reasons (training in high altitude).   Even press reports about these facts seem a bit vague.
Further studies are needed to...
iko

Offline iko

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 31/08/2006 23:03:56 »
My very personal opinion is that "dope" medicine is a young specialty and sometimes, may be only a few times, innocent athletes are paying the price. I hope I'm wrong.
Haematocrit could be high in certain people for physiological reasons (training in high altitude).   Even press reports about these facts seem a bit vague.
Further studies are needed to...
iko

ROBERT

« Reply #3 on: 01/09/2006 14:43:48 »
It seems unlikely that there would have been enough time to reinfuse five litres of stored blood between ending the race and having his blood sample taken for testing.

I found this possible explanation for Landis' positive drug test:-

" However, there is one major wrinkle in the Landis case that is now making the rounds. John Eustice, appearing on ESPN with Dan Patrick, stated that it’s possible Floyd’s result is a false positive, because his testosterone level is low, not high. That corresponds to both the now-known fact that Landis was (legally) taking cortisone shots for the avascular necrosis in his hip (cortisone reduces the body's natural production of testosterone) "

http://boulderreport.bicycling.com/2006/07/index.html
« Last Edit: 01/09/2006 15:09:01 by ROBERT »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #3 on: 01/09/2006 14:43:48 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums