The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Is it safe to use Lutein or other drugs that are past their expiry dates?  (Read 1601 times)

Offline Jimbee

• View Profile
Macular degeneration runs in my family. Both my father and my grandfather had it. So when I heard taking the supplement Lutein could help prevent it, I immediately wanted to get on board.

The only thing is, Lutein wasn't in the vitamin/mineral dietary supplement I was already taking. So I went to a nearby pharmacy, and I bought two bottles. There are about 30 gel tablets in each bottle. So I thought I'd be set for a while.

The only thing is, upon closer examination of the bottles, I discovered they expired in August of 2013--almost a year ago, exactly.

Returning the bottles would be kind of a hassle. So, is it safe to take expired Lutein? I really need to know.

:) :) :)
« Last Edit: 05/09/2014 09:08:26 by chris »

Offline Ethos_

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: Using Expired Lutein?
« Reply #1 on: 28/08/2014 01:52:06 »

Returning the bottles would be kind of a hassle. So, is it safe to take expired Lutein? I really need to know.

:) :) :)
I would suggest you take the time and ask your druggist that question. He would either affirm this question or trade your bottle of outdated pills for another of an up to date item.

The Naked Scientists Forum

Re: Using Expired Lutein?
« Reply #1 on: 28/08/2014 01:52:06 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums