The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why wont the ants on my side walk give up?  (Read 1121 times)

Offline cheryl j

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Why wont the ants on my side walk give up?
« on: 28/07/2014 03:09:48 »
Almost every other day I have to hose down the walkway from the drive way to the porch to remove the ant hills that form in the cracks. They get to be about five or six inches in diameter. And within about a day or so they are back. It seems like a lot of effort on their part. Why don't they give up and go some where else where they don't have to keep doing repairs? And what is the purpose of these mounds anyway?

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Why wont the ants on my side walk give up?
« Reply #1 on: 28/07/2014 04:28:18 »
My guess is that you have part of the anthill under the sidewalk, or deep within the crack.  So, you're not wiping out all of the ants in the ant hill.

I'm sure each species of ant is a bit different.  Mom has a very wet, boggy area behind her house where the ants can build anthills 12 to 18" tall.  At least in that area, the tall anthills help protect the ants from flooding.

You're probably convincing the ants that they need a taller hill to keep from continuously flooding!!!!

My question is where they are getting the dirt to build the ant hill.  If it is coming from under the walk, then you could be damaging your concrete. 

I usually don't worry about critters outside of the house, but I've found those little ant bait poison traps to be very effective.  Just put one in the path where you see the ants walking. 

Offline cheryl j

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28/07/2014 09:20:24 »
Yes I notice the cement blocks are not as level, so the sand must be from underneath. I also wonder how they get them so perfectly round.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 28/07/2014 09:20:24 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums