The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: "NASA Confirms "Impossible" Propellant-free Microwave Thruster" - your thought?  (Read 1597 times)

Offline McKay

• View Profile
I read in a few articles that popped up a few days ago in multiple news sites where it was said that NASA has confirmed a propellant-less thruster possibility. (this, for example: http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2014-07/31/nasa-validates-impossible-space-drive ) They think the microwaves resonating might interact with the so called virtual particles of vacuum to create thrust, to push against.
What do you think about this? Have they found a long sought for way to push against space itself? Might this be better explained with un-popular pilot waves being produced and pushed against without matter particles? Or you think this is complete bogus?
I even read in a similar article where it was mentioned (of course, I cant find the exact one as there are quite many of them popping up) that using superconducting materials and some extra fine-tuning they could create a ton of thrust using one kilowatt of power, which seems rather too good to be true.

Offline Reality207

• View Profile
It seems that space contains radiation and magnetisms in abundance; (thought there could be some debate over that,) and there is gravity.
It would seem that space travel could best be accomplished using one of them. 
I would start with magnetism.

Offline jeffreyH

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • The graviton sucks
    • View Profile
That the test results show a violation of the conservation of momentum is very interesting.

Offline Reality207

• View Profile
It sounds like there are those that want to arrest him for breaking that law.
Shawyer says he's innocent and the law was not broken. Wiki

I like the guy, love his work.

The next question is why is the Johnson Space Center copying (steeling?) it?

Offline jeffreyH

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • The graviton sucks
    • View Profile
It sounds like there are those that want to arrest him for breaking that law.
Shawyer says he's innocent and the law was not broken. Wiki

I like the guy, love his work.

The next question is why is the Johnson Space Center copying (steeling?) it?

Steeling it against what? Criticism? You have absolutely no idea why I made that remark do you?

Offline Reality207

• View Profile
ya no one like the law of physics like C of M to be voilated (poor humor on my part)
Shawyer says, "the have not been voilated" did you know that?

I read that Roger Shawyer invented it and now others JSC and Chinese are copying it.  (steal) maybe that's ok but I don't think, so is that wrong??

Online alancalverd

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • life is too short to drink instant coffee
    • View Profile
Nothing impossible here. Google for "radiation pressure" to understand the concept of photon momentum. Now consider a resonant cavity with a hole in it. The cavity is filled with photons exerting pressure on every part except the  hole, so there is a net accelerating force away from the hole.

It's easier to demonstrate in a laboratory with more energetic photons (lasers are a good source) but the efficiency of microwave generation, especially in a vacuum, is much better. Classical physics (it goes back to Kepler) and clever engineering - the essence of space flight.

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums