The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Can violence be managed medically?  (Read 2523 times)

Offline Jimbee

• View Profile
Can violence be managed medically?
« on: 12/08/2014 07:09:21 »
I have this medical theory of violence, that I have been sharing (first with snail mail) for about 10 years now, probably closer to 15 actually. I have in a form letter, making easier to share with many people. And as you will see, I am definitely in the right forum as I share it with you all. Please read:

"I have a theory on violence that I have been trying to share with others for the past 10 years or so. For this reason, I may have sent it to you in the past, and I definitely apologize if this is the case.

My theory is simply this: why can't we some day treat violence with a MEDICINE taken by the violent person? Of course, some might just chose to be evil. So it will need the full cooperation of the person being treated.

I think a medicine would have several advantages to it. For one, it would be much more effective that simple rehabilatative therapy the same way psychiatric drugs we now have are more effective then old talk methods. Also, we could come across a drug simply by accident--before we even fully understand how it works, as has been the case with many drugs. This is why I believe we should start looking for this drug now. And of course this drug would have the advantage of making violence less likely where the potential greatly exists--like prisons for example.

Of course this does bring up some moral questions, like "Who are we to judge other people's moral beliefs and dispostions?". And, of course, people use violence to protect themselves, so we don't want to turn people into defenseless sheep. For these reasons, the medicine could just be used voluntarily at first, I imagine. But I do think the good that it will provide will far outweigh any evil.

What to call this new medicine? I once looked up "violent" in a Greek-English dictionary. And it said "bia" (inflected form, "bia-tos"). So about 10 years ago, I came up the appellation "antibiatic". ("Antiviolence therapy" and "antiaggression therapy" work good too, I suppose.)

Just to make clear here, I am talking about a drug that “resensitizes” the areas of the brain associated with human empathy. Interestingly enough, I think the hormone Oxytocin may have many of the qualities I am talking about.

I would like to hear your thoughts on my theory. And thank you very much for your time and indulgence :-), etc...."

Well, that's it. What do the rest of you think of my theory?

BTW, I don't believe I ever shared it on these forums. Please forgive me if by accident I have. But if I did, it would have been a long time ago. And I really think it is a good theory, worthy of telling people.

Also, if anyone knows anyone, esp. someone in the medical field, who would be interested in my theory, please tell them. I would love hearing their feedback too.

:)
« Last Edit: 05/09/2014 09:09:54 by chris »

Offline evan_au

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: My Medical Theory of Violence...
« Reply #1 on: 12/08/2014 11:11:36 »
why can't we some day treat violence with a MEDICINE taken by the violent person?
Some convicted criminals have psychological treatment and supervision as part of their parole conditions. This sometimes includes prescription of medications which are intended to keep emotions under control. For the prisoner, it is a choice of "take the medicine or go back to jail", so I guess in a sense it is voluntary.

I think the hormone Oxytocin may have many of the qualities I am talking about
Oxytocin is not quite the angelic hormone that was once promoted. It certainly does promote bonding between individuals in a family. However, it has been found to increase aggression towards outsiders (at least in some individuals). We should be wary of giving people a drug that potentially increases xenophobia, in today's multicultural world.
See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxytocin

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13/08/2014 06:10:59 »
For sexual crimes, castration, or chemical castration has been effective in reducing the recidivism rate.  Several studies indicate a reduction from 40-50% down to less than 10%.  There are few studies with violence (non-sexual) and castration.

As far as violence in general, I'm not sure.  It is a far more difficult problem.  When you look at the DSM, there are several medically diagnosed personality disorders including Antisocial Personality Disorder that may be associated with violence. 

Other disorders such as mania may be associated with reduced inhibitions, and can be effectively treated with medications. 

A large number of prisoners have severe mental disorders.  So, perhaps by better treating the underlying mental disorders one could reduce the associated crimes.

Offline PmbPhy

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13/08/2014 07:43:28 »
Quote from: Jimbee
My theory is simply this: why can't we some day treat violence with a MEDICINE taken by the violent person?
Medicine is merely a chemical that acts on the body to cause something to happen biochemically. Sometimes the biochemical reaction helps a condition with something like muscles while other times it helps things like a headache. But there has to be a condition which the biochemical reaction can indeed help. Merely taking medicine is meaningless if there's no disease or condition to fix.

You seem to think that there's one and only one cause to violent actions and there isn't so medicine can't help for that reason too.

Offline Ethos_

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13/08/2014 16:05:25 »

You seem to think that there's one and only one cause to violent actions and there isn't so medicine can't help for that reason too.
I agree Pete, and relying on another pill to solve social problems of violence is treating the symptom and not the problem. The problem with violence in society today has much more to do with external issues that face each of us daily. Education and the mental ability to adapt to difficult circumstances  will not be solved by another pill. Granted however, there is a place for wise medication when a physiologically altered mental imbalance is identified by skilled physicians.

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13/08/2014 17:42:28 »
Multiple causes may take different treatments.  So, if you could determine the underlying cause of violence in an individual, then one could use a custom treatment for that specific individual.  That is not a reason not to treat violent tendencies, but rather an indication that it is more complicated to diagnose.  One would still have to identify the violent individuals, but many of them get into the "system" early, starting with the juvenile justice system, or those who are bullies or violent in school. 

A lot has to do with a person's upbringing, and learning better coping skills.  However, one often finds siblings who presumably had similar upbringings with radically different personalities. 

I agree that one shouldn't always expect a "magic pill" to solve the world's problems.  Some may be helped with both counseling and medical treatment (if appropriate treatment is available). 

One issue might be getting individuals to continue with the treatment long-term.  Many individuals with major psychiatric disorders periodically go off of their meds, or decide to "self-medicate" with street drugs, often with undesirable side-effects.

The chemical castration programs need essentially daily follow-ups, otherwise many of the individuals on the programs would quickly stop taking the meds and relapse.

One problem is how to diagnose the potential for violence before it occurs.  Obviously one could treat repeat offenders.  But, what about the first-time offenders?  I will admit that I got into a few fights in school, mostly defensive, I think.  However, today I would consider myself very much a pacifist.  Thankfully I'm not mandated to be in a drug-induced stupor for standing my ground as a kid.

What about our military?  Can we make the military obsolete before making violence obsolete?

Offline PmbPhy

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 13/08/2014 20:28:44 »

I agree Pete, and relying on another pill to solve social problems of violence is treating the symptom and not the problem. The problem with violence in society today has much more to do with external issues that face each of us daily. Education and the mental ability to adapt to difficult circumstances  will not be solved by another pill. Granted however, there is a place for wise medication when a physiologically altered mental imbalance is identified by skilled physicians.
I agree. In some cases the cause might be rooted in depression. People who are depressed often turn to alcohol and drugs and that leads to violence in many cases.

Offline Ethos_

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 13/08/2014 22:57:45 »
In many cases, the violence being demonstrated has it's roots in our childhood. In my estimation, these psychological disturbances should be detected and treated early on. Our public schools could and should take a more active role in addressing these problems. Sadly, the school system pays too little attention to this and could help greatly in catching this dysfunctional behavior among it's students if more attention were paid to it. With greater attention to this problem, and given the resources to address the problem of bulling, racial, religious and ethnic persecution, along with gang related pressures, our young people stand a chance at becoming productive citizens. How can we expect our youngsters to grow into responsible adults when so much of what they're learning in our schools is destructive behavior?

Considering the state of affairs within our schools, it astounds me that any of our children turn out to be good citizens at all. To those young people that do, I tip my hat to them. That one fact gives me a great deal of faith in them, and the future of our beloved America.
« Last Edit: 13/08/2014 23:00:24 by Ethos_ »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #7 on: 13/08/2014 22:57:45 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length