The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Understanding reaction in example  (Read 1425 times)

Offline trytyutry

• First timers
    • View Profile
Understanding reaction in example
« on: 12/08/2014 23:32:04 »
Let's say we got 2 wresters(sumo wrestlers are good example) pressing against each other to push opponent out of the ring. wrestler one with weight 200kg and wrestler two with weight 300kg. Wrestler one cause a force on second wrestler but the same reaction force is caused on him. Does it mean cause he weight less the reaction force will always push him back more(greater distance) than he will push second wrestler forth? So it means no matter how strong first wrestler is he will always lose cause he weight less(cause his own strength works against him)??

Offline Ethos_

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: Understanding reaction in example
« Reply #1 on: 14/08/2014 00:56:23 »
So it means no matter how strong first wrestler is he will always lose cause he weight less(cause his own strength works against him)??
Not necessarily so my friend.

Weight does have the advantage here but strength and the use of leverage also comes into play. While speed may not appear to be significant, it can have a role in any success when used at the proper time. Exceptional balance would also increase ones probability of success in this competition.
« Last Edit: 14/08/2014 01:00:09 by Ethos_ »

Offline JP

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14/08/2014 01:46:12 »
If they're working on a frictionless surface and all they're doing is pushing, then yes.  They exert equal and opposite forces and given their unequal masses, the lower mass wrestler will lose.  But as Ethos points out, wrestling is not simply two people pushing on a frictionless surface!  Once you put in friction and the option to use leverage to tip your opponent over, this simple model goes out the window and the less massive wrestler can certainly win.
« Last Edit: 14/08/2014 01:51:23 by JP »

Offline trytyutry

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14/08/2014 20:03:33 »
I understand you can push yourself from the ground to gain advantage but how is leverage used here?

Offline Ethos_

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14/08/2014 22:12:00 »
I understand you can push yourself from the ground to gain advantage but how is leverage used here?
Leverage is one of the keys to success in the sport of wresting. It's basically the same advantage one acquires when using a lever to increase the application of torque to an object one wishes to move. I was on my wrestling team in high school so leverage is something I'm well acquainted with. Unless you've had the chance to participate in this sport, understanding the significance of leverage may be difficult for you to grasp. But believe me, it is at least half of the total effort necessary for success with strength coming in a close second when applied to this sport.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #4 on: 14/08/2014 22:12:00 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums