The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How do we perceive reality?  (Read 1539 times)

Offline thedoc

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
How do we perceive reality?
« on: 14/08/2014 18:30:01 »
Randy Carlo Gosling  asked the Naked Scientists:
I have a question regarding reality. I read about how what we perceive as reality is just a hologram
and our body is like a 'biological operating system' decoding something like waveform information. WE are CONSCIOUSNESS using this 'operating system' as a vehicle to experience this realm. What is your take on this?

What do you think?
« Last Edit: 14/08/2014 18:30:01 by _system »

Offline Ethos_

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: How do we perceive reality?
« Reply #1 on: 14/08/2014 22:24:08 »
Randy Carlo Gosling  asked the Naked Scientists:
I have a question regarding reality.

What do you think?
Like beauty, reality is in the mind of the beholder. This is not to say I don't believe my eyes or my ears about what they are sensing. I suppose the only substantiation we can have about the information we obtain thru these senses is conformation from others. But here is where even that falls a bit short; That information also comes to us thru our 5 senses. So what are we to believe?

I had a Social Studies teacher in high school that always said the following:

Quote: "Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see."

In the end, we can all choose to believe what this information presents us with. If we choose not to believe that information, I suppose we become totally lost to any reality other than one made up in our own imaginations. I believe they call that insanity.
« Last Edit: 16/01/2016 14:20:03 by Ethos_ »

Offline tkadm30

• View Profile
    • IsotopeSoftware
« Reply #2 on: 10/01/2016 13:03:27 »
The primacy of the mind to experience reality is a feature of living organisms. The internal purpose of consciousness is to unify the mind and the body in the universe.

"Matter is derived from mind, not mind from matter."
—The Tibetan Book of the Great Liberation

Offline puppypower

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10/01/2016 13:49:12 »
We see reality through various filters of the mind. These filters of the mind, is why two people, from two different political POV, can look at the same data and infer the opposite conclusions. The filters prevent us from seeing reality as it is. Rather they help define how one is expecting to see reality.

As an analogy, say you were wearing red colored sunglasses. I give you a piece of paper with red and blue dots, which are analogous to all the data points for a given subject. The red filter will make it impossible to see the red dots, since the filter will make the paper look red thereby making the dots blend and disappear. All we will see are the blue dots, which now look purple; red glasses plus blue dots.

Purple is composed of red and blue. This means that the half data, we can see, will appear to express both the red and blue dots, at the same time. This makes people think what they see is good for all the data. They can't tell they are filter biased but will feel conviction for their half basked perception of reality.

The filters of the mind, come from personal bias, group bias, all cultural knowledge which is subjective and/or temporary, and even from bias from our natural instincts. When you look through these various colors lenses, many things are not seen as they are but are biased by the col of the sunglasses.

Too see reality, you would need to question and isolate all the filters of the mind and then try to remove as many as possible. If you did this, and could now see reality, this can place you at odds with everyone else. If you can see red and blue dots on the paper, since you removed the sunglasses, but everyone else sees only half as many purple, the group will thinks you are off your rocker. The consensus means more than the voice of one.

There is also one other affect from the unconscious mind called projection. This is when the unconscious mind projects onto reality, like a movie. It is similar to filters, and can use the filters. It is where expectations color the data field even before we collect data. For example, the mother's love for her child, can make an ax murderer seem like her sweet little boy. She sees a projection of her once sweet child, onto the man, and reacts to the evil man plus lovely movie, like this is part of reality. The composite is misunderstood.

If we combine filters and projections, reality is under there somewhere, obscured and made cloudy. Many religious philosophies discuss leaving the mass mind of culture, and love your enemy, to remove some of the collective filters. This can put one at odds with the mass mind of filters.

Many of these collective social filters help culture corral the herd. If one cattle chute is red and the other cattle chute is blue, with red glasses, only a single purple chute can be seen. This single seems like the only way so it appears right. All sheep all head there to be sheared, since this seems unified; red plus blue means all the data.

Reality is not what the collective mind sees, but reality is what we see, when the the filters become natural.
« Last Edit: 10/01/2016 13:54:52 by puppypower »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #3 on: 10/01/2016 13:49:12 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums