The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Rotating objects slowing down their rotation in vacuum  (Read 1680 times)

Offline McKay

• View Profile
Rotating objects will, apparently, slow their rotation in vacuum do to interaction of the fluctuating EM field ("virtual photons" will appear blue-shifted in the direction of spin and red-shifted at the back end).
That is quite interesting. I wonder - would reflective rotating material slow down faster then absorbing material, just like solar sails are better made of reflecting material?
I read this quite some time ago - it was said to be measured and the rotating object emitted photons when loosing kinetic energy, though, I dont remember the numbers and can not seem to find them now.

Does this translate to simple straight movement of objects in vacuum (that is - they would slow down)? If so, cant this knowledge be used to push spacecraft against vacuum (the fluctuating EM field) itself like aircraft push against air?

Offline yor_on

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • (Ah, yes:) *a table is always good to hide under*
    • View Profile
Re: Rotating objects slowing down their rotation in vacuum
« Reply #1 on: 10/09/2014 21:42:30 »
Could you provide a link to that statement? If it is correct all classical spins should slow down, if I'm reading you correctly?
==

This one?
http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg20927994.100-vacuum-has-friction-after-all.html

"a virtual photon hitting an object in the direction opposite to its spin collides with greater force than if it hits in the same direction." But it's not proved yet, according to the article?
« Last Edit: 10/09/2014 21:53:27 by yor_on »

Offline yor_on

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • (Ah, yes:) *a table is always good to hide under*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10/09/2014 22:03:08 »
I don't know?

Think of a black hole, spinning close to light speed. There should be an awful lot of 'energy' around its event horizon. Think of all those 'virtual photons' constantly created there, 'colliding' with it. First of all, it should become kinetic energy, right?

That should mean that all objects spinning tap the vacuum of energy, doesn't it, assuming a 'field' of 'virtual photons' representing a vacuum. Translating that loss of energy into? kinetic energy and finally? Heat? Can you tap a virtual 'field'? What happens to the equilibrium of it?

And then we come to relative motion? Even though it is defined as 'relative', depending on coordinate system used, it do exist. It is a 'motion' as can be proved by using three object moving relative each other. and that should then represent the same? Wouldn't that give us absolute motion instead of a relative?
==

Assuming this to be correct, also assuming that a expansion must introduce 'new' virtual particles to keep the vacuum neutral, as needed to be in some sort of equilibrium, we seem to wreck havoc with conservation laws I think? I never felt that comfortable with the idea of virtual particles myself, but that, of course, is my own opinion :)

Or, you have to not only come up with a explanation as to how those 'virtual particles' gets replenished, and are able to to constantly present us a neutral vacuum, but also how to redefine relativity, to suit this idea.
=

ah yes, and when doing that we also, most probably, will need to (re)address what we mean by conservation laws. Possibly you can keep conservation laws, treating a whole universe as one field using transformations, also including virtual photons as part of that unified field, though. But it won't explain what happens with a expansion, and I still think it would give us absolute motion.
« Last Edit: 10/09/2014 23:43:46 by yor_on »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 10/09/2014 22:03:08 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums