The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Can we attract the UFOs to us?  (Read 2001 times)

Offline Expectant_Philosopher

• View Profile
Can we attract the UFOs to us?
« on: 13/09/2014 08:11:32 »
It seems in many cases of UFO encounters the area of the sighting has magnetic and radiation anomalies.  If UFOs do not cause these anomalies maybe UFOs are attracted to these anomalies.  If the anomalies are naturally occurring, say uranium deposits in Arizona, or man made, say Nuclear weapon storage areas in England, it might not make a difference in the UFOs' preference for those areas.  Could we artificially create a honeypot, creating an area with an abnormal radiation and magnetic anomaly, to attract a UFO?  If we created this anomaly honeypot in an out-of-the-way area and were ready to record, but had no electronics turned on, would the conditions be just right for a UFO to risk an investigation of the anomaly?

Offline PmbPhy

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: Can we attract the UFOs to us?
« Reply #1 on: 13/09/2014 09:20:36 »
I doubt it. It's not even clear to me whether those things actually occur or whether they're actually hoaxes. In  any case It's clear to me that they don't have any correlation between them.

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13/09/2014 11:14:27 »
...  Could we artificially create a honeypot, creating an area with an abnormal radiation...

Aren't Radio & TV broadcasts sufficient ?

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13/09/2014 15:04:43 »
Dismissing them as hoaxes automatically dismisses correlations.  You should've just said outright you believe them to be hoaxes, I would've accepted that as your opinion.  To say ipso facto that because the sightings are hoaxes there is no correlation belies the facts.  In many cases of sightings there is a correlation of reported environmental measurements of magnetic or radiation anomaly.  Travis Walton case in Arizona - Uranium mining, Rendlesham Forest - nuclear storage, Roswell - nuclear storage.  I do not have irrefutable proof one way or another of the veracity of the reports.  I just postulate that if the reports are true, then creating certain environmental conditions might stimulate the appearance of a UFO.  For us to wait for an opportunity to catch a glimpse from somewhere around this entire world of a true UFO seems a waste.  If the reports are true then the UFOs have a vested interest in the conditions of the environment, either because it is beneficial to them or because it is detrimental to them.  Radiation from a TV program I don't believe would have any attraction.  I am not a UFO fanatic, I could as easily believe that because there is a correlation between UFO sightings and nuclear facilities, that someone might invent a cover story to explain their presence near highly secure facilities.  I just hypothesize that if true, then we have at our means a way to force the issue.  We might set this up as a project, but acknowledge we may end up with a SETI like success rate.
« Last Edit: 13/09/2014 15:06:57 by Expectant_Philosopher »

Offline PmbPhy

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13/09/2014 15:48:11 »
Quote from: Expectant_Philosopher link
Dismissing them as hoaxes automatically dismisses correlations.

I did not dismiss them as hoaxes. In fact I said explicity in post #1 that
It's not even clear to me whether those things actually occur or whether they're actually hoaxes.

You should've just said outright you believe them to be hoaxes, I would've accepted that as your opinion.
Why on Earth would I do that since I have know what the heck they are?

To say ipso facto that because the sightings are hoaxes there is no correlation belies the facts.
Again, I neither said that nor implied it.

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13/09/2014 18:59:50 »
Let's set these emotions aside, please excuse the affrontery. So I pursued the other nuclear/magnetic - ufo linked cases, as I'm sure you have, especially for the 1973 Pascagoula Ufo abduction.  It seems they were building nuclear submarines at the Ingalls shipyards right near where the sighting occurred.  Connected with the Hill Abduction case from 1961, I found a microfiche document from 1963 (see link below, or search in Google for terms "white mountain uranium nh 1961 '63-7173' "), which outlines a survey conducted by Rice University for the Oak Ridge National Lab from 1960 to 1963, to ascertain the extent of Thorium and Uranium deposits in the White Mountains area of New Hampshire.  The Hill Abduction case centered around Franconia Gap in the White Mountains National Forest.  That the Hill Abduction case would be so coincidental to the nuclear survey being conducted, speaks to foreknowledge of the survey, a very human effect.  I realize pursuing the human explanation leads us down the course that might accuse those "fabricating" the stories with complicity with espionage. As much as we could create a honeypot to attract UFOs we could also test the other explanation, by having the government "leak" information about a new facility playing around with nuclear advances, a facility that never had a magnetic or nuclear anomaly and never actually would, and wait for a major UFO event to occur nearby.  This would prove the human motives behind the stories.  In these cases, we also gain some new insights, if espionage is involved, about activities the government would rather keep quiet about. If in encompassing events with these particulars, if we find a case where a major UFO incident was reported, but have no knowledge of government activity, could we assume some secret government activity is at that location? It would be a case where the spies knew of the location but citizens in the area did not.  About all these cases we could understand the constraints the government was acting under, that the government would never admit to the true activity and there would be government concealment of some sort evident. 

https://scholarship.rice.edu/bitstream/handle/1911/14138/6307173.PDF?sequence=1

« Last Edit: 14/09/2014 07:35:05 by Expectant_Philosopher »

Online jeffreyH

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • The graviton sucks
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 13/09/2014 22:19:50 »
Any advanced civilization that has acquired the technology for inter-stellar travle would be well in advance of us. If they didn't want to be detected they could in all probability achieve this. Thus to say we can trap them by a clever manipulation of the environment would be ineffective. They would already have much more advanced means of manipulating their environment. My guess is if they arrived here we wouldn't even know it had happened.

Offline PmbPhy

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 14/09/2014 02:20:08 »
Quote from: jeffreyH
Any advanced civilization that has acquired the technology for inter-stellar travle would be well in advance of us.
I disagree. Interstellar travel requires knowledge only about traveling between stars, nothing else. At the moment we don't know how to do it and therefore we don't know how difficult it is.

We therefore don't know how advanced one civilization must be over the other.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #7 on: 14/09/2014 02:20:08 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums