The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: EMAIL HOAXES AND CHAIN EMAILS  (Read 207114 times)

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
EMAIL HOAXES AND CHAIN EMAILS
« Reply #325 on: 01/10/2009 12:12:52 »
Is it any wonder that the banking situation is in the state it is, when they, allegedly, employ people of this calibre?
________________________________________________________________________________________________

To: info@notice.co.uk

I am Rev. Jones Maxwell Harth, a senior staff with the World Bank. This organization have arranged your total pending payment sum amounting to US$10 million, you have been waiting for a long time to receive your money without success.contact email:rev_jones_maxwell444@live.co.uk

________________________________________________________________________________________________

I now eagerly await the $10m. I shan't hold my breath.

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: 15/10/2009 10:33:14 »
Still giving Hell!

Got to Hand it to them they are rather persistent!lol...lol...

PLEASE DO NOT IGNORE!!! Contact: Email: (elizabethetters2@live.com)

|
Hoffman, Kathleen Ann

show details 9:23 PM (5 hours ago)

Dear Friend,
I am Mrs. Elizabeth Etters from Iceland, married to Late Engr Brown Etters {PhD} who worked with MULTINATIONAL OIL COMPANY EXXON AS A DRILLING RIG SUPPLIER in Kuwait for 19 years before he died on the 22nd August 2008. We were married for twenty four years without a child. He died after a brief illness that lasted for only four days. Before his death, he deposited the sum of 2,142,728.00 US Dollars with a bank In Canada and this fund is presently with the bank awaiting my disbursement as beneficiary and next of kin to the funds. Recently, my Doctor told me that I would not last for the next Eight months due to cancer problem. Having known my condition I decided to donate this fund to a church, organization or good person that will utilize this money in good faith.
l took this decision because I don't have any child that will inherit this money. I kept this deposit secret till date, this is why I am taking this decision. I don't think i will need any telephone communication in this regard because of the confidentiality of this transfer. Upon your reply I shall give you the contact of the bank. I will also issue a letter of authorization to the bank that will prove you the present beneficiary of this money. Reply to my very confidential email address below {elizabethetters2@live.com}
Await your responds and God bless you.
Mrs. Elizabeth Etters
Email: elizabethetters2@live.com

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: 28/10/2009 16:16:28 »
Yes yes....This is not a scam.. LOL.. we only want you to lie to a finance company and say you are the only living relative of the late so and so..... so we can collect the money!! LOL..LOL....

Today on AOL
casey.brian92@tallesuer.com
Dear Friend,
To:   undisclosed recipients: ;
Date:   Wed, Oct 28, 2009 3:31 am
Dear Friend,
 Please read with open mind.
 First of all I want you to Know that this is not a SCAM mail.Because based on what is going on all over the Internet world, people find it very difficult to believe things like this anymore. Have it in mind that you have nothing to lose at the end of the day.But why I'm sending you this letter, I think if that situation has a place in the internet world, maybe one from 1000 has a real transaction.If you can guarantee me from your side your trust and honesty I will be able to work with you.To Prove my sincerity, you are not sending any money to me. I will cover the expenses down here before the consignment will leave for your country.The funds is not in a bank,it's in a finance company.
 I am Brian Casey, a barrister at law. I am the personal attorney/sole executor to the WILL of a late client who worked as an independent oil Business magnate in my country and who died in a car crash with his immediate family on the 5th of Nov 2004. Since the death of my client in Nov, 2004,I have written several letters to the embassy with an intent to locate any of his extended relatives who are beneficiaries of his abandoned Funds and all such efforts have been to no avail. I want you to stand in for him and assist me to received the fund, You do not have to worry if you are related to him i will present you to the company as he beneficiary of the fund.
 After the completion of this transaction,40% will be for you, 10% for Charity works and the remaining 50% for me. Please if you feel interested, I crave your indulgence to please contact me.As I have said earlier, I want you know that this is the present situation,and do not take this as a scam mail.All I need is your help and support so that we can both carry out this project.
 I have decided to contact you so that we can talk and see how we can both put heads together and achieve a good result.
 On this note, I wish to present you to the finance company, as the surviving relative to the deceased so that we can put in claims for payment with your name as the sole beneficiary of the Will.
 I will appreciate if you can send me the followings;
1.Your Full Names
2.Your tel and fax numbers(for rapid communications)
3.Your age
4.Occupation
5.Your Current address

This will enable me file necessary documents at our High Court Probate Division for the release of the fund in your favour.
 I intend to invest my shares in your country under your management in any viable business venture.
I will send you more details as soon as I hear from you.
 Yours faithfully,
  Brian Casey.

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #328 on: 28/10/2009 17:00:53 »
Not a scam eh! Well I shall send my personal details forthwith.

Ooo yes, and I must give Brian a few lessons in English. I'm sure he will do very well as a Barrister when the Judge and Jury can understand him. Or perhaps he meant to say he is a Barista.

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: 28/10/2009 17:15:41 »
Welcome to the world of Scambaiting!

Does somebody want to transfer millions of dollars into your account?
Does someone want you pay you to cash cheques and send them the money?
Met a new friend/penpal on a friendship/dating site who's asking you for money?
Has a dying person contacted you wanting your help to give his money to charity?
Have you sold an item and are asked to accept a payment larger than the item amount?

IT'S A SCAM!

Don't fall for common scams like this - fight them!

So what is scambaiting? Well, put simply, you enter into a dialogue with scammers, simply to waste their time and resources. Whilst you are doing this, you will be helping to keep the scammers away from real potential victims and screwing around with the minds of deserving thieves.

It doesn't matter if you are new to this sport or a hardened veteran; if you are wasting the time of a scammer, or frustrating them in any way well that's good enough for us, and we would welcome you to join with our now very large community.
http://419eater.com/ 

(not for the faint-hearted)
« Last Edit: 10/11/2009 12:23:31 by RD »

Offline olla86

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #330 on: 05/11/2009 15:05:00 »
I thought you guys would appreciate this little bit of history.  I have read about The Spanish prisoner fraud in “My Experiences at Scotland Yard” by Basil Thomson (1923).  From Thomson’s first sentence, it sounds like it’s been around since the end of the Franco-Prussian War (circa 1871).  Thomson writes:

The Spanish prisoner fraud has flourished for nearly half a century.  It has the advantage over all other frauds in costing practically nothing for stock-in-trade, and incurring no risk whatsoever to the practitioner.  All he needs is a little stationery, a few postage stamps, and the names and addresses of farmers in Scotland and England.  The farmer receives a letter with the Valencia postmark from a Spanish colonel now languishing in prison on account of the part he played in a revolutionary conspiracy. 

The world may be divided into two classes — those who would reply to such letters and those who would consign them to the fire.  In spite of the picture drawn of Englishman by envious foreigners, the Britisher is by nature an imaginative and romantic person.  That is why you find him in every part of the globe: he goes abroad for adventure, to escape from the humdrum routine of his home surroundings.  And the farther you go north the more romantic he becomes.  That is why there are so few Scots left in Scotland.  To judge from the correspondence filed by the police, nine out of every ten reply, …

The [Great] War was unkind to the Spanish colonel, who had been lingering upon his death-bed for over forty years, and I hoped that it had killed him, but the ink was scarcely dry on the Treaty of Versailles before he broke out again.

Very intresting and cognitive information! Thanks for efforts!

« Last Edit: 10/11/2009 14:57:02 by olla86 »

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #331 on: 10/11/2009 07:28:28 »
'Phishing', 'chains' and other emails out to relieve you of your hard earned cash are bad enough, but this one is just pure evil. To prey on those who are ill, possibly terminally, is absolutely contemptable.

Dear Friend,

It is my desire to share this news with you.

I was diagnosed of cancer of the lungs last year 6/10/2007 and I felt my life has ended. A friend told me about this Priest of Shiva (Abhijat Balaji Ambar) and I never believed at first. After thinking about it and knowing fully well that I was going to die after all I decided to give it a try.

I have gone back to my job fully healed. The doctors performed series of tests on me and wondered what happened to the cancer that was killing me previously.

If you have any problems, please don’t seat there and do nothing, you can write the priest and he will help you.

He can be contacted via email: (abhijatbalajiam@yahoo.in)

This is my promise and the prize I am paying for my healing. Not money, no gift, nothing in return to this healing.

Good luck.

Ronald Bayhan

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: 07/12/2009 11:11:18 »
I really want to help these people, should I ?  ::)

JOHANNESBURG
REPUBLIC OF SOUTH AFRICA

Dear Sir,
                            PRIVATE AND HIGHLY CONFIDENTIAL

Greeting! I know you will be surprised to read from me, but please this letter is a request from a family in dire need of assistance. I am Mohammed Williams from Angola.The first and the only son of Brigadier Chanza Williams communicating to you from Johannesburg, South Africa.

I got your address from my random search at the net. And, I on behalf of my widowed mother Mrs. Bridget Williams  decided to solicit for your assistance to transfer the sum of US$35.8 Million (Thity Five Million Eight Hundred Thousand United States Dollars), which he deposited in a safe box to private security company in Johannesburg, South Africa. In fact, my father said, and I quote: My son, I wish to draw your attention to US$35.8 Million (Thity Five Million Eight Hundred Thousand United States Dollars).

I deposited the box containing the fund in a security company in Johannesburg, South Africa as valuables. During the war, I was very committed and dedicated in winning the war against the rebels, until I found out that the senior army officers and government functionaries were busy helping themselves with government funds and properties, sending them to foreign countries. Due to this, when the former adviser to the president and I were assigned by the president (JOSE EDUARDO SANTOS) to purchase arms in South Africa, we saw this as a golden opportunity and diverted the money and share it, of which I got a total sum of US$35.8 Million (Thity Five Million Eight Hundred Thousand United States Dollars).

In case of my absence on earth as a result of death, only you should solicit for assistance of a reliable and sincere foreign partner to assist you to transfer this money out of South Africa for investment purpose. I deposited the box in your name and you can claim it alone with deposited code. Your mother is with all the documents. Take good care of your mother and your sisters.

From these words of my late father, you can understand that life and future of my family depend on this fund, as such I will be grateful if you can assist us. We are now living in South Africa as political asylum seekers. Financial laws and regulations of the Republic of South Africa do not permit us certain financial rights. In view of this, I cannot invest this fund in South Africa hence; I am seeking your assistance to transfer this fund out of South Africa for investment purpose. For your assistance, we are prepared to offer you 25% of the total fund while 5% will be set aside for any expenses incurred during this transaction.

Please note that this transaction is 100% risk-free and the major thing I demand from you is to assure me the safety of this money when it finally gets to you. Further information and arrangement commence as soon as trust confidence and good relationship are established. I shall be most grateful if you maintain the confidentiality of this matter.
Please, confirm your interest through the above contact telephone numbers or email.

Best regards,

Mohammed Williams.
{For the family}

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #333 on: 07/12/2009 12:41:40 »
Well, if you're not interested, I'll be glad to assist.

$35.8m Sheesh! best one yet.

How come its never £4.86 or $5.97? Or "I have a white £5 note....."

Offline FuzzyUK

• View Profile
    • http://www.fusniak.co.uk
« Reply #334 on: 07/12/2009 17:04:33 »
How come its never £4.86 or $5.97? Or "I have a white £5 note....."

George says the amount is £82.57p. All that is required is your bank account details and your sort code and the monies can be wired directly:

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: 24/01/2010 01:40:47 »
Heres the newest in my box today... LOL lET'S NOT SUPPORT THAT RELIGIOUS TERRORIST GOVERNMENT BY LETTING THESE FUNDS SLIP AWAY! lol...lol..:::

Susan Strawn

Confidential Business Proposal‎ -

Dear Prospective Partner, My name is Avans Kilmberry, I trained and work as an external auditor …
       12:40 pm

Confidential Business Proposal

Susan Strawn

show details 12:34 PM (4 hours ago)

Dear Prospective Partner,

My name is Avans Kilmberry, I trained and work as an external auditor for
Bahrain Development Bank (BDB) in the Kingdom Of Bahrain, working as part
of a bigger team that covers the entire Middle East region. I had taken
pains to find your contact through a random web search using the deceased
name.

On routine audit check last year, I discovered some investment accounts
that had been dormant for at least twelve years. All the accounts belong
to a single/one account holder with monies totaling a little above Twenty
Seven Million, One hundred and fifty thousand United States Dollars
($27,150,000 USD). Now banking regulation/legislation in Bahrain demand
that I do notify the fiscal authorities after a statutory time span of
twelve years when dormant accounts of this type are called in by the
Kingdom Of Bahrain Monetary Regulatory bodies.

The above set of facts underscores my reason of writing and proposing to
you. My investigations of the said account reveals that the investor, an
American had died in 1997 which was the exact time the account was last
operated. I can confirm with certainty that the said investor died
intestate and no next -of -kin to his estate has been found or has come
forward during the past years.

I am of a settled conviction that using my insider leverage, I, working
with you can secure the funds in the account for us instead of allowing it
to pass as unclaimed funds into the coffers of the Government of Bahrain
(who might likely use it to sponsor their religion Mishap/terrorism). This
is especially possible as you bear part of the NAME of the said investor.
This exactly is why I crave your participation and co-operation. I am
seized with all relevant documents (legal and Banking) that will
facilitate our putting you forward as the claimant/beneficiary of the
funds and ultimately transfer the money to an account to be nominated by
you. Of course you shall be handsomely rewarded for your part in this
transaction as the people I am working with are prepared to allocate a 45%
slice of the total funds for your efforts.

I shall however leave out the final details of this transaction till I
receive an affirmation of your desire to participate. Rest assured that I
am on top of the situation all the time and there will be no risk
whatsoever if you elect to come on board. Needless to say, UTMOST
CONFIDENTIALITY is of vital importance if we are to successfully reap the
immense benefits of this transaction.

I do expect your prompt response.

Truly,
Avans Kilmberry
avans.kilmbery195@live.com
<mhtml:{637DDAD7-862F-437A-843B-CCB3C2D8C9E1}mid://00000009/!x-usc:mailto:
avans.kilmbery195@live.com>

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #336 on: 26/01/2010 12:57:55 »
Here's a spoof ebay mail. I have removed the hyperlink. The big giveaway on this was the return email address which rather than the @ebay.co.uk address was @e.bay.co.uk.

Unusually though, only one spelling mistake (Highlighted). They are learning!

But on first glance this looks authentic...... BUT ITS A SPOOF attempting to access ebay details.

Dear eBay Customer,
We recently noticed an attempt to log in to your eBay account from a foreign IP
address and we have reason to belive that your account was used by a third party
without your authorization.
If you recently accessed your account while traveling, the unusual log in attempts
may have been initiated by you. Therefore, if you are the rightful account holder,
click on the link below to log into your account and follow the instructions.
                Please click here to confirm your account online
If you choose to ignore our request, you leave us no choice but to suspend your account.
If you received this notice and you are not the authorized account holder, please be aware
that it is in violation of eBay`s policy to represent oneself as another eBay user.
The purpose of this verification is to ensure that your account has not been fraudulently
used and to combat the fraud from our community.
Thank you for your patience as we work together to protect your account.
Thank you for using eBay!

Offline SeanB

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: 02/05/2010 18:24:19 »
Or the email address is somebody_@_ebay.com.132468.ghjr45yg8.bjfhnrb.6jgntnbt.burfnvb.ntii.u6jb.jv.somescamsite.ru (underscores so your browser will not take this as a real email address) and the site shown to the reader looks like it is ebay, but not realising that domain names are read from the trailing end, the actual scammer is on somescamsite, the rest being a means used to fool the casual reader, who mostly believes the junk at the end of a site link is not human readable. Not helped by most mail readers by default giving a "pretty" HTML view of every email, and you can use this to hide actual site addresses, as well as use the numerous " Undocumented Features" in common mail viewers to create havoc in various ways.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: 17/10/2010 19:56:43 »
Thanks SeanB Thats a good notice on that one.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: 16/11/2010 03:41:06 »
Today on AOL

( Newest scam in my box.)

lucy@nanhaibank.com
THIS EMAIL IS FROM THE UNITED NATION
To:   
Bcc:   kwarvi44@aol.com
Date:   Mon, Nov 15, 2010 6:39 am

Attention:

How are you today? Hope all is well with you and family? You may not understand
why this email came to you. We have been having a meeting for the passed 7

months which ended 2 days ago with the then secretary to the UNITED NATIONS.

This email is to all the people that have been scammed in any part of the world,
the UNITED NATIONS have agreed to compensate them with the sum of USD $850,000

(Eight hundred and fifty thousand United State Dollars Only), This also includes
every foreign contractors that may have not received their contract sum, and
people that

have had an unfinished transaction or international businesses that failed due
to Government problems etc.

We found your name in our list and that is why we are contacting you, this has
been agreed upon and have been signed.

You are advised to contact Rev. Dale Robinson of INTERCONTINENTAL BANK NIGERIA
PLC, as he is our representative in Nigeria, contact him immediately for your

payment of USD$850,000 (Eight hundred and fifty thousand United State Dollars
Only)which way you need the fund to be delivered. So he will send it to you and
you

can clear it in any bank of your choice.

You are advice to get in contact with Rev. Dale Robinson and provide him with
below information.

Full Name:
Address:
Telephone Number:

Person to Contact Rev. Dale Robinson
EMAIL: c-care-intercontinentalbplc88@blog.lt
Tel: +234- 705 -7216-967

Thanks and God bless you and your family.

Hoping to hear from you as soon as you cash your Fund.

Making the world a better place.

Regards,
Mr. Ban Ki-Moon
UN Secretary General

Offline Dr. Junix

• View Profile
« Reply #340 on: 29/06/2011 09:53:40 »
What if we all go to these banks to collect? I think even the world bank would go bankrupt.

Offline Silver

• View Profile
« Reply #341 on: 24/11/2011 15:08:38 »
I post on some travel forums and recently got two emails on two of them, possibly from the same person using two different aliases, from a woman who fancied me and wanted to send me her photo, etc.

This scam involves sending you a photo of an attractive woman (it may be a man doing it) and then you get a number of lovey-dovey emails with the person at the other end trying to chat you up.

Then when you are ripe, you start getting emails asking for money. It may be to pay bills for a family member who is sick, the "girl" may want to visit you and want money for fare, passports, etc.

When they have scammed as much money out of you as they can, maybe even asking for your bank details so supposedly they can pay back (but they really want access to your account), the person vanishes or you are told they died, etc.

Offline Silver

• View Profile
« Reply #342 on: 24/11/2011 15:15:45 »
I have had a number of emails in the last several years saying they are holding huge amounts of money for me which they will release on payment of a small sum, maybe hundreds of dollars, pounds or whatever.

I tell them to take the sum out of the money they are holding and send me the rest. I have yet to receive anything.

By amazing chance, I am the 999,999th visitor to quite a number of internet sites. Who'd believe that? Not me.

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #343 on: 25/11/2011 11:25:30 »
..... I am the 999,999th visitor to quite a number of internet sites.......

No your not, I am!!!

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #344 on: 25/11/2011 11:45:40 »
See! I told you it was me and I have now claimed my prize. Could be anything from a home cinema to a 5 star holiday in Honolulu, or a super gadget selection worth £25k to a brand spanking new 'C' class Mercedes, or a Biro.

All I have to do now, is to figure out what to do with the 40' container load of duff Viagra pills I've bought. Can I put them on eBay?

Offline Geezer

• Neilep Level Member
  • "Vive la résistance!"
    • View Profile
Re: EMAIL HOAXES AND CHAIN EMAILS
« Reply #345 on: 29/03/2012 22:42:01 »
I have received a message from a very nice gent who would like my assistance in liberating the extensive funds of a certain Saif Al-Islam Gaddafi.

I'm pretty sure this should be a win-win for all concerned. I mean, what could possibly go wrong?

« Last Edit: 30/03/2012 00:24:33 by Geezer »

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #346 on: 30/03/2012 10:23:10 »
I'll have a piece of the action on that one, sounds like a pretty saif bet to me.

Offline grizelda

• View Profile
« Reply #347 on: 30/03/2012 20:06:01 »
I'm in. We're sure to make off with a bin laden with treasure.

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: 30/06/2012 05:55:57 »
I got a most unique SPAM today.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Received: from winweb-7.win.pem.crystone.net (winweb-7.pem.crystone.net. [83.168.226.77])
        by mx.google.com with ESMTP id jc5si5214282lab.57.2012.06.29.19.06.49;
        Fri, 29 Jun 2012 19:06:49 -0700 (PDT)
From: "Uniform Traffic Ticket" <uni_auto_6629@baltimore.com>
X-Mailer: MailMagic2.3
Reply-To: "Uniform Traffic Ticket" <uni_auto_6629@baltimore.com>
To: ...............
Uniform Traffic Ticket.

NEW YOURK STATE POLICE
POLICE CODE / PC78381652
TIME / 10:41 PM.
DATE OF OFFENSE / 24 Febuary, 2010.
OFFENSE CODE / NY82350
DESCRIPTION OF VIOLATION / SPEED OVER 50 ZONE In VIOLATION OF / NYS V AND T LAW

PLEASE PRINT AND FILL OUT THE FORM.

SEND IT TO / Alfred Town Court 5241 Shaw Road, Box 137 Alfred, NY 14241.

Thank you,
Department of Motor Vehicles.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Obviously the New York DMV does not have my E-Mail address, nor was I within 3000 miles of New York this year.  Oh, wait, that was 2010.  I wasn't there in 2010 either.  And, not New York, but rather  "NEW YOURK"

baltimore.com, I was thinking of Maryland, but it is actually registered to someone in the UK.
And crystone.net is somewhere in Sweden.

There is an Alfred, NY, but the zip code is incorrect, and the address is bogus.

Anyway, I have no idea what they're peddling, but I could imagine a lucrative business of bogus traffic tickets, except that I would never want to attach my name or address to fraud.

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: 30/06/2012 16:15:57 »
I got a most unique SPAM today.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NEW YOURK STATE POLICE
POLICE CODE / PC78381652

scammers do pretend to be government departments e.g. ... http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=170894,00.html/

[ Re: "most unique" ...
if something is unique, it is one of a kind, so something cannot be "very unique", or "more unique" than something else.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_%28grammar%29 ]
« Last Edit: 30/06/2012 16:21:59 by RD »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #349 on: 30/06/2012 16:15:57 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums