The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: EMAIL HOAXES AND CHAIN EMAILS  (Read 206833 times)

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: EMAIL HOAXES AND CHAIN EMAILS
« Reply #350 on: 02/08/2012 05:00:25 »
A quick question about forum etiquette. 

If a single spammer spams TNS 4 times. 
Do you want us to report it once for the spammer, or once for each message?  (the delay is annoying).
I presume it is easy enough for you to search for all messages written by the individual.
Or, just patiently wait for the message to vanish?

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: 03/10/2012 11:21:23 »
Haven't received one of these for a long time !
Sad thing is..the email's ending includes a good luck from his deceased wife !

Dear Sir/Madam

I saw your email address during the course of my  research today.Mr Name
is Allen my wife and I won a Jackpot Lottery 11.3 million in july and during
the process my wife passed away as a result of cancer illness, we are donating
 the sum of 1.million dollars to 6 lucky individual  over the world and if you
received this email then you are one of the luck recipients and all you have to
 do is get back with is so that we can send your details to the payout bank.
Please note that you have to contact my private email for more information
(allen.violetlarge1@ozledim.net)

You can verify this by visiting the web pages below.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1326473/Canadian-couple-Allen-Violet-Large-away-entire-11-2m-lottery-win.html

Goodluck,
Allen and Violet Large
Email:allen.violetlarge1@ozledim.net

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: 11/11/2012 11:21:02 »
Lol...lol..well it takes all kinds.. now both the livi g and dead...lol months old but I just read this one!... lol

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: 04/01/2013 13:10:28 »
awww !!....look what I received today !!...what a wonderful start to the new year !!.. I'm so happy I could weep !!

My wife and I have decided to donate US$500,000 to you.
Email:  Violet and Allen Large for claims - Happy New Year 2013!!!
viollinlarge@live.com

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: 05/01/2013 00:31:35 »
Just think
If once...  somewhere.
Someone was actually sincere.  How difficult would it be to give away an anonymous large donation to people randomly selected via e-mail. 
And, all those people that would be kicking themselves for passing up the opportunity after the "winners" appear on BBC.

Of course, undoubtedly the e-mail would be copied, and pop up over and over again for years to come.
« Last Edit: 05/01/2013 00:36:28 by CliffordK »

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: 05/01/2013 07:39:22 »
I've read somewhere about police sending "you have won a prize" letters to criminals who had failed to appear in court, some of them made an appearance receive their "prize" : a matching set of silver bracelets:)

[ similar to this ... http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/8883575/Police-trick-19-criminals-into-coming-forward-with-free-beer.html ]
« Last Edit: 05/01/2013 07:43:06 by RD »

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
  • A stupid comment for every occasion.
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #356 on: 16/07/2014 09:11:30 »
For some time now, users of BT Yahoo mail may have been receiving emails purporting to be from BT or Yahoo telling them that BT Yahoo mail is changing. In fact the change has already happened, yet these emails continue to be sent.

The latest may get some people worried that they might loose access to their mail and take hasty action. This mail is headed
 "****FINAL NOTICE****"

IT IS A PHISHING SCAM designed to catch you on the hop. Clicking on the link will take you to a convincing BT Yahoo look-alike login page. Entering your pass codes on this page sends internet criminals all they need to know to access your account.

Quote from: BT
How do I know if an email from BT is genuine?

For starters, BT never sends emails with attachments. If you receive an email which seems to be from us, but which has an attachment, you should delete it immediately without opening it.

You may see emails claiming to be from BT advising you that some of our email services are closing. If you receive an email like this and it's showing an unknown address or 'undisclosed recipients' in the 'To' or 'From' fields, you should delete it straight away. 

We also never ask you to "verify your account details" via email. You should never send your account details in an email either, unless you're using one of our secure email forms at https://www.bt.com/contact.

If an email contains a link which seems to go to a BT page, it's worth checking if the link will really take you there or somewhere else.

To do this, hover your mouse over the link (without clicking). The web address (URL) will show up in the bar at the bottom of your browser.

If BT has genuinely sent you an email about your account, the link is likely to be to an address which starts with one of the following:
•http://bt.com/
•http://www.bt.com/
•http://www2.bt.com/
•http://www.btsport.com/
•http://bt.custhelp.com/
•http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/
•http://email.planning-inc.co.uk/
•http://intc.tractionplatform.com/

If you're concerned at all, just don't click on any links in an email or reply to it, especially if it's about confirming or updating your personal or billing details. You can always safely sign in to see details of your account at www.bt.com/mybt. And if you need to get in touch, then you can safely contact us via www.bt.com/contact.

How do I report a phishing email?

An important note about passwords

One of the things that hackers rely on is that many people use the same username and password for multiple sites. So if they get hold of your account details for, say, a shopping site mailing list, then they'll use those details to try and get into your bank accounts.

Try not to use the same username and password for different websites.

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #357 on: 13/08/2014 08:40:48 »
Can you spot the obvious give-aways that this email does not, as the sender would have us believe, originate from Barclays Bank Plc.?

Quote from: phishing email

Important Notice

Dear Member,

Your Barclays Online account has been randomly flagged in our automative system as a part of our routine security measures.
 This is must to ensure that only you have access and use of your Barclays Online account and to ensure a safe experience. We require all flagged accounts to comfirm their information on file with us

Our review of your account has identified an issue regarding its safe use. We have placed a restriction on your account as a precaution.

To lift the restriction we will require some further information from you. once we review your further information and we're confident that the use of your account does not present a safety risk to our service and customers, we'll be happy to reinstate your account

Click here for verification 

Sincerely,

Barclays PLC UK

Links and images removed.

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: 15/09/2014 22:15:40 »
Now, that one was weird... 

Not an E-Mail, but I just got a call from somebody. 

Noisy Call Center.
Oriental Accent.
Phone Number Blocked on Caller ID

She claimed to be in Washington DC, and said that I was being given $9000.  The details were a bit sketchy with the background noise, but she said it was some kind of a rebate from the government for not having declared bankruptcy, or some such thing. 

All I had to do was provide my bank account number, or a credit card number, and they would transfer the money into my bank account.

I told the woman that I would prefer a check in the mail, and she stated that the only way to get the money was through an electronic funds transfer.  I told her that I didn't have a bank account number that I could give her, and she just hung up on me. 

Obviously they are fishing for bank account details from unwary, greedy individuals, and no doubt more money would be removed from the accounts than transferred into them.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: 17/09/2014 23:05:29 »
Lol...Lol... yep I get those calls also... and like she did with you when I tell them I dont have a bank account or a computer..they immediatly hang up!! lol...lol...

Offline Don_1

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • Knight Light Haulage
« Reply #360 on: 16/07/2015 16:07:50 »
There is a new phishing email doing the rounds.

You will receive an email with the following text:-

To
your email address

Dear User,

You have reached storage limit. You can not send or receive new messages until you re-validate your mail.

To re-validate the mailbox   Click Restore

Thank you!

System Administrator

These mails are coming from various senders, I have had two today, one from Ynotice and the other News service

I have not enabled the link from this email.

The following users thanked this post: Karen W.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: 29/10/2015 16:27:36 »
HEY I received several from AOL..supposedly and I trashed them....Of course AOL did not send them, but just for those of you who have not seen them..they were using the AOL logo on the ones I have recieved. and I would not have been able to distinguish between  logos visually..BUT I AM AWARE THAT IS NOT POLICY OF AOL OR ANY OTHER LEGITIMATE EMAIL CARRIERS ETC..LIKE Don_1 said... The info they ask for would simply just give them cart Blanche access into your accounts, and security information and much more.... Thank you Don_1

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #361 on: 29/10/2015 16:27:36 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length