The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: what's the mass of black holes compared to the galaxy it is located in?  (Read 1456 times)

Offline thebrain13

• View Profile
I remember reading that it was a cosmic mystery why supermassive blackholes are always approximately 15% of the mass compared to the entire galaxy. However I recently just read that in the milkyway galaxy the ratio of mass in its blackhole is 1/10,000. So what is it? Is the milkyway a statistical oddity or does it refer to only specific types of galaxies? Or is that 15% number just bunk?

Offline JohnDuffield

• View Profile
There was a 15% mentioned in the recent story about a gargantuan black hole found in a dwarf galaxy. I've seen various news items about supermassive black holes where cosmologists have tried to establish some kind of ratio, but I don't remember reading anything about supermassive black holes always being circa 15% of the mass of their galaxy.

Online PmbPhy

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
There was a 15% mentioned in the recent story about a gargantuan black hole found in a dwarf galaxy. I've seen various news items about supermassive black holes where cosmologists have tried to establish some kind of ratio, but I don't remember reading anything about supermassive black holes always being circa 15% of the mass of their galaxy.

thebrain13 - "JohnDuffield" is a major crackpot. Beware!!!

Offline chiralSPO

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
I don't think there could be a fixed constant that relates the mass of a black hole with that of the galaxy it is in. A black hole surrounded by matter is a non-equilibrium environment, and will change as time goes on. Black holes grow and shrink, but mostly they grow, so I would expect that older galaxies would have a larger percentage of their mass in a black hole.

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums