The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Cosmology: An alternative theory to dark energy  (Read 1268 times)

Offline Theo A. Gerken

• First timers
    • View Profile
Cosmology: An alternative theory to dark energy
« on: 25/09/2014 10:23:59 »
So this theory is all personal and I've developed it without external influence.

Let's start with the background.

So the universe is expanding at an accelerating rate. They key word here is accelerating.

The force that came from the big bang 14 billion years ago should be dissipating, the expansion should be slowing down, not speeding up. Gravity has been pulling things together ever since that big blast, too.

This finding boggled the scientists. So we developed "dark energy" to explain the expansion. There is no proof of dark energy, it is hypothetical, and it was only invented to explain the data (which could not be denied).

I have another explanation.

I think there are a bunch of collections of mass spread throughout space, all collecting mass over time until they hit a critical mass and explodes (in a big bang).

Our entire visible universe is probably a tiny fragment of one, I repeat one, such explosion.

Our entire visible universe (which is all we can investigate) might be expanding not because of dark energy, but because it is beeing pulled apart by OTHER (will be) Big Bangs collecting mass right now.

So our visible universe is stretched because it's being pulled apart in at least two different directions.

When one of these "local" Big Bangs goes of, it pushes the matter out really far, and reaches maximum point of expansion. This creates easy matter for the other (will be) Big Bangs to pick up. Get what I'm saying?

This would:

1) Make the big bang theory make sense, since now we are working with a cycle, and an endless amount of attemps to create life

2) It would explain where the energy comes from, that expands our universe faster and faster

3) It would explain the finding that the universe isn't expanding uniformly in all directions (very interesting)

Here are two articles that support the last statement.

From: Is the universe expanding asymmetrically? - Cosmos Magazine

newbielink:http://cosmosmagazine.com/news/is-universe-expanding-asymmetrically/ [nonactive]

The analysis determined a preferred axis of anisotropy in the northern hemisphere. This suggests that a part of the northern sky represents a part of the universe that is expanding outwards with a greater acceleration than elsewhere.

From: New View of Primordial Universe Confirms Sudden "Inflation" after Big Bang

newbielink:http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/new-view-of-primordial-universe-confirms-sudden-inflation-after-big-bang/ [nonactive]
Planck also confirmed some oddities earlier noted by WMAP. The simplest models of inflation predict that fluctuations in the CMB should look the same all over the sky. But WMAP has found, and Planck confirmed, an asymmetry between opposite hemispheres of the sky, as well as a ‘cold spot’ that covers a large area. The asymmetry “defines a preferred direction in space, which is an extremely strange result,” says Efstathiou.

Oh, and I forgot to mention. "The Great Attractor" would be one such collection of mass.

newbielink:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Attractor [nonactive]

/Theo A. Gerken

« Last Edit: 25/09/2014 10:40:27 by Theo A. Gerken »

Offline Theo A. Gerken

• First timers
    • View Profile
Re: Cosmology: An alternative theory to dark energy
« Reply #1 on: 22/11/2014 01:05:28 »
bump

Offline PmbPhy

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22/11/2014 06:13:06 »
Quote from: Theo A. Gerken
There is no proof of dark energy, it is hypothetical, and it was only invented to explain the data (which could not be denied).
That's not quite true since dark energy was postulated to explain the acceleration so the mere fact that the acceleration is there "proves" dark energy is there. However you're not using the term "prove" correctly. Scientists don't "prove" things. They find things that are consistent with their theory and dark energy is consistent with the accelerating expansion of the universe.

I have another explanation.

Online jeffreyH

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • The graviton sucks
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22/11/2014 17:13:48 »
Pete the OP's hypothesis cannot be dismissed simply by stating that the acceleration indicates the existence of dark energy. The non-symmetrical expansion springs to mind.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #3 on: 22/11/2014 17:13:48 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length