The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What is it the FBI, CIA, and DHS use to make breathing difficult?  (Read 2272 times)

Offline mriver8

• View Profile
What is it the FBI, CIA, and DHS use to make breathing difficult?
For torture, interrogation or other purposes? I'm not talking about water boarding, infrasound, or tear gas. A chemical that causes the sinuses to inflame in a few seconds, and thick, dry, choking musus to accumulate.

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
What is it the FBI, CIA, and DHS use to make breathing difficult? ... A chemical that causes the sinuses to inflame in a few seconds, and thick, dry, choking musus to accumulate.

If the CIA preferred you weren't breathing you'd be pushing-up-dasies.

What would be the point of a government-agency causing someone to experience something resembling an anxiety attack ?.

Mucus production is not possible in "seconds", however neurological (including psychological) phenomena can occur in "seconds".

Hypothetically a gas which had an instantaneous effect would have to be present in high-concentrations , cf. gas anaesthesia , and would effect other people/animals present.

If a chemical was in food/water/ insect-bite its effect would not take "seconds" : cf. anaphylaxis takes minutes-hours.

If there was a chemical in air/food/water how could they prevent it from affecting unintended victims , e.g. their own personnel ?.

The wikipedia quote below may be relevant ...

Quote from: en.wikipedia.org/Paranoia
Paranoia ... is a thought process believed to be heavily influenced by anxiety or fear, often to the point of irrationality and delusion. Paranoid thinking typically includes persecutory beliefs, or beliefs of conspiracy concerning a perceived threat towards oneself (e.g. "Everyone is out to get me").
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paranoia
« Last Edit: 26/09/2014 16:13:51 by RD »

Offline alancalverd

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • life is too short to drink instant coffee
    • View Profile
Ammonia is fairly easy to administer in nonlethal quantities. Phosgene produces most of the symptoms and smells very pleasant - like new-mown hay - but symptoms may take time to develop. But neither is as easy to administer and control as water, which is instantaneous, harmless to the operator, and has no lasting effect and is therefore deniable.

Offline mriver8

• View Profile
What is it the FBI, CIA, and DHS use to make breathing difficult? ... A chemical that causes the sinuses to inflame in a few seconds, and thick, dry, choking musus to accumulate.

If the CIA preferred you weren't breathing you'd be pushing-up-dasies.

What would be the point of a government-agency causing someone to experience something resembling an anxiety attack ?.

Mucus production is not possible in "seconds", however neurological (including psychological) phenomena can occur in "seconds".

Hypothetically a gas which had an instantaneous effect would have to be present in high-concentrations , cf. gas anaesthesia , and would effect other people/animals present.

If a chemical was in food/water/ insect-bite its effect would not take "seconds" : cf. anaphylaxis takes minutes-hours.

If there was a chemical in air/food/water how could they prevent it from affecting unintended victims , e.g. their own personnel ?.

The wikipedia quote below may be relevant ...

Quote from: en.wikipedia.org/Paranoia
Paranoia ... is a thought process believed to be heavily influenced by anxiety or fear, often to the point of irrationality and delusion. Paranoid thinking typically includes persecutory beliefs, or beliefs of conspiracy concerning a perceived threat towards oneself (e.g. "Everyone is out to get me").
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paranoia

I didn't say it was lethal in a few seconds, or lethal at all in the short run. I also didn't say the FBI, or CIA couldn't give someone a heart attack from satellite, or my some other means like a robotic insect. I'm just looking for a list of substances that have been used that can produce similar effects.

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
I'm just looking for a list of substances that have been used that can produce similar effects.

CIA has used scopolamine as a truth serum.

Offline mriver8

• View Profile

That doesn't answer my question though.

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length