The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What type of headwear, and material could protect the head from an ultrasound?  (Read 2838 times)

Offline mriver8

• View Profile
assault at a freq capable of destroying hair cells? The best I've tried is Grainger closed cell polyurethane foam but it only protects against a numbing tuning fork sensation, and not concentrated/focused zaps.

https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/127436857-Acoustic-Weapons-A-Prospective-Assessment-Jurgen-Altmann-1.pdf?_subject_uid=317902351&w=AABRd95PNFTrgeib-gQ1M95B9qc9u_wsJkZwk0m_xqaDxg
« Last Edit: 29/09/2014 06:47:23 by mriver8 »

Offline chiralSPO

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Just surround your head with a total vacuum. ;) No sound will penetrate.

Offline alancalverd

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • life is too short to drink instant coffee
    • View Profile
Ultrasound is reflected at interfaces of materials with widely differing speed of sound. Sound travels through steel at 2 to 3 times the speed in water or soft brain tissue, so the traditional nutter's helmet (a salad colander) on top of a wooly hat will provide adequate protection with good ventilation, but for total security you could wear several layers, say an aviator's leather helmet under a motorbike lid, topped off with a naval anti-flash balaclava and a coal scuttle/Ned Kelly armour.   

Offline Bill S

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
I tried following the above link and got a message saying I didn't belong there.  Imagine my relief!!

Offline jeffreyH

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • The graviton sucks
    • View Profile
Ultrasound is reflected at interfaces of materials with widely differing speed of sound. Sound travels through steel at 2 to 3 times the speed in water or soft brain tissue, so the traditional nutter's helmet (a salad colander) on top of a wooly hat will provide adequate protection with good ventilation, but for total security you could wear several layers, say an aviator's leather helmet under a motorbike lid, topped off with a naval anti-flash balaclava and a coal scuttle/Ned Kelly armour.

Now I'm tired and in hysterics.

Offline mriver8

• View Profile

Now I'm tired and in hysterics.

Offline mriver8

• View Profile
I tried following the above link and got a message saying I didn't belong there.  Imagine my relief!!

See attachment. At these frequencies.

Offline chiralSPO

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
From the second image you posted, it is clear that this is not ultrasound being discussed, but very loud blasts, similar to concussions from bombs or shells. The first image is about high frequencies though...
« Last Edit: 29/09/2014 23:29:05 by chiralSPO »

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums