The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What of the chances of finding intelligent life?  (Read 10099 times)

Offline alancalverd

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • life is too short to drink instant coffee
    • View Profile
Re: What of the chances of finding intelligent life?
« Reply #25 on: 03/10/2014 23:27:04 »
Gross left and right aren't particularly important to most species, though the chirality of some molecules determines their biological function. Faced with a coronal plane image of a human or a spider, I could probably work out that it was vaguely bilaterally symmetric and had a preferred orientation with respect to gravity. Given three projections and a scale (the hydrogen 21 cm line is likely to be a universal standard of length and time) I could make a fullsize model of it. So it's entirely possible for any life form that can control an electromagnetic technology, to initiate meaningful conversations with another.     

Offline ScientificSorcerer

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 04/10/2014 14:31:12 »
I think that we need to find some aliens before we can learn how to effectively communicate with them.  Which would mean hopping in a space craft to start scouring far off solar systems for signs of life.

In order to do that effectively we would need to go light speed or beyond.  Thinking about how to make cheaper and faster space craft.  (warp drives and stuff like that would be completely necessary)

Offline yor_on

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • (Ah, yes:) *a table is always good to hide under*
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 05/10/2014 10:39:05 »
Intelligence seems to be the realization of not knowing enough, then start asking questions. If the universe works by emergences, meaning 'jumps' that you don't really can back track to their constituents behavior before this 'emergence', then intelligence should be able to pop up everywhere I think.

Offline alancalverd

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • life is too short to drink instant coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 05/10/2014 17:19:05 »
We recognise intelligence in another animal by its ability to surprise us. It is the antonym of mechanism. So we should be looking for the mechanistically improbable- like the "WOW signal". The difficulty is recognising the difference between a surprising signal and random noise. 

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #28 on: 05/10/2014 17:19:05 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums