The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Are the brains of people in various job-types different?  (Read 1090 times)

Offline thedoc

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Paul Anderson asked the Naked Scientists:

Has anyone been able to compare the brains of an abattoir worker, a surgeon, a soldier, a fanatical sportsperson, a businessman, and the brain of a 'normal' person in the street?

My niece-in-law vet was telling me last week that as a vet she is able to abstain from becoming emotionally involved with her patients, but she says her assistants who are not vets get emotionally involved.

What do you think?
« Last Edit: 01/10/2014 11:30:01 by _system »

Offline alancalverd

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • life is too short to drink instant coffee
    • View Profile
Ther have been studies of the enlarged hippocampus of London cab drivers: memory training at this level (anything up to 3 years learning the Knowledge of London) does have a physical effect.

There may be a difference in motivation between veterinary surgeons and veterinary nurses and assistants. A sheep farmer once told me the secret of farming: you have to love animals, but you mustn't get to like them. My mother was perfectly happy working in the family butchers, fish shop and riding stable, but never recovered from her mother cooking our pet chicken (Esmerelda) when she stopped laying eggs.

Back to vets: the nurses generally see and get to work with conscious animals, prepare them for surgery, and monitor their recovery - all involving some level of communication. Vets generally communicate with the owner for diagnosis, and operate on an unconscious animal, most of which is covered in a sterile drape.   

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums