The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Major Bombshell : Manifesto For A Post-Materialistic Science :  (Read 186097 times)

Offline DonQuichotte

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Physicist Proposes New Theory of Gravity—Gravity Does Not Exist :

http://www.theepochtimes.com/n3/20006-physicist-proposes-new-theory-of-gravity-gravity-does-not-exist/
Once again, an old paper that has been experimentally falsified (also, gravity as an entropic force is not Verlinde's idea, it's actually been around for a while). But an interesting idea.

Einstein's general relativity theory that explains the "force " of gravity via  the curvature of space-time might likely be false , otherwise , the universe would be shrinking ,thanks to all that curvature of spacetime.

Not to mention his special relativity theory regarding the nature of space and time that's also incompatible with that simple explanation of quantum theory: consciousness interacting instantaneously with sub-atomic particles , with all particles and objects in fact , large and small .

See above :

Lanza was so kind and cool enough as to dedicate a whole chapter (7) from his "Biocentrism " to you , dlorde , on the subject .

Offline DonQuichotte

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Cheryl :

(Prior note : 96 % of the universe is made of unknown dark matter and dark energy , as physicists don't really even know much about the remaining 4 % , despite all their sophisticated theories ,maths, ...including quantum theory and relativity : the latter that are incompatible with each other in fact .

So, physicists are not even close to approaching the nature of reality , if ever , not even remotely close thus : see also that link of mine to "Why a physics revolution might be on its way " here above .

In short : what you mentioned here above , through the words of Caroll or others for that matter , about the alleged fact that physics has been delivering an excellent approximation for  understanding the universe and our place in it , is  simply a hilarious joke.

Reminds me , in another similar context then, of that British physicist in the 1900 who said that there was nothing left to be discovered in physics .All that was needed was more and more precise measurements .

Caroll says basically almost the same thing : there are no significant or relevant forces , fields or laws of physics left to be discovered : yeah, right : he does not know much about that 4% of the universe ,and he dares say non-sense like that through the standard model that's highly likely to be dethroned by the next revolution in physics . 

Not only that , on top of the above : since materialism is false and can thus intrinsically never account for either life or consciousness just through material processes only , let alone  for the origin of life that way , or for the evolution of conscious life ....life and consciousness that are no accidents or side effects or by-products of evolution , for example, to mention just that , then any understanding of the nature of reality , the origin of conscious life , the evolution of conscious life , the beginning of the universe ....any unified theory thus can intrinsically  never be accounted for  by material processes or physics only : Life and consciousness must be integrated in any future so-called unified theory as the key and major players in it . )

What has Chopra to do with Lanza's theory anyway ? Nothing : he just commented on it .

Lanza is a prominent biologist and astronomer with impeccable credentials , not some sort of a new age lunatic or something like that :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Lanza

Chopra is not my cup of tea either , needless to add .

I expect you to comment on  Lanza's theory yourself ,on "Quantum Enigma " ....,  via  your own words , not just make an appeal to authority , like to that of materialist Caroll .

The latter cannot but a-priori reject any non-materialist interpretation of quantum theory , any non-materialist theory or model of consciousness and life , let alone that he can even consider  any non-materialist theory of nature,simply because he's so entrenched  in his materialist dogmas which he has been mistaking for science , like the man who mistook his wife for a hat , or like someone who looks at or observes the world through that materialist key hole , while assuming that that materialist key hole version of reality is the real reality  .

Caroll has even admitted (He has no choice but to admit that , otherwise he would be a vulgar liar , a bad scientist ,on top of being a materialist deluded one ) that the interpretation dilemma of quantum theory has not been solved yet , so, how can he say that Lanza's interpretation of quantum theory is false then ? , while Lanza and others have been offering a simple explanation of quantum theory : consciousness interacting with sub-atomic particles ...: Occam's razor .

To be honest , i have no respect whatsoever for materialist scientists in fact , since they have been ignoring and denying the overwhelming evidence against materialism ,or they would just try to go around that evidence  by inventing unfalsifiable bullshit theories like the hidden variable  theory ,decoherence theory , multiverse and parallel  universes theories , string theories and the rest .... and the fact that the major anomaly of them all :consciousness , not to mention the latter's related anomalies and processes , can never be intrinsically accounted for by materialism is evidence enough for the fact that materialism is false , including all its extensions like the materialist theory or model of consciousness .

Even Einstein's special and general relativity theories , regarding the nature of space and time and regarding the "force " of gravity are in fact incompatible with that simple explanation of quantum theory that has been delivered by many prominent physicists like by Von Neumann school, like by all founders of quantum theory and by many other physicists yesterday and today like Amit Goswami , like the authors of "Quantum Enigma : physics encounters consciousness " and many others, that's why Einstein could not bring himself to accept quantum theory ,while so unsuccessfully trying to come up with a unified physical theory during the last half of his life  .

Ironically enough , the original interpretation of quantum theory to which Einstein was exposed at that time could not but be incompatible with his own relativity theories .

Why should one listen to a materialist scientist on the subject then, since he /she would just be a-priori assuming that consciousness is just a material process like the rest of them all in the universe ? .

That Caroll would say such astonishing things about Lanza's theory , for example , is pretty predictable , since he's a materialist first , and a scientist only second .

Caroll should in fact know better than throwing stones at his opponents since he 's been living within a false and fragile materialist key hole sand "made of glass " sand castle , where all extensions of materialism are false .Not only that , they represent such an insane puerile and ridiculous distortion of the nature of reality .

So, as you can understand as a result of the above :  i do not see any worth or value in anything materialists like Caroll can say about non-materialist theories , models , experiments , ....since they would just have to reject them, otherwise they would be ceasing to be materialists , no mater how much evidence or lack of it those non-materialist theories , models ...would or would not deliver .

Furthermore , since materialism is false , then the nature of reality cannot be exclusively material or physical, and hence consciousness that's irreducible to the former , and life that cannot be accounted for by just material processes , have to be integrated in any so-called unified theory of the universe, not to mention the fact that any exclusively physical so-called unified theory  is doomed to fail ,taking into consideration all the above .

Inter-disciplinary synthesis of all sciences must in fact be the answer , where life and consciousness must be integrated in that synthesis ,life and consciousness as key and major players in any future so-called unified theory that hence cannot be just physical : most of current physics will have to be abandoned ,including that materialist so-called standard model +relativity theories ...and physics alone can no longer be assumed to be able to deliver a so-called unified theory , since materialism is false , and hence the nature of reality is not exclusively material or physical ....

Lanza , Goswami , Fred Kuttner , Bruce Rosenblum and others were /are the ones whose conceptions of the nature of reality might be paving the way for a totally new science on the subject, not that insane puerile and ridiculous key hole distortion  or materialist version of the nature of reality .

Offline DonQuichotte

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile

Did you read Biocentrism ? No .

Why bother? If Don's summary is correct, it's drivel. And who are we to doubt Don?

Really ? You don't know what you're missing .

Check it out for yourself then , physicist : you might learn something from it , who knows ?

http://www.robertlanzabiocentrism.com/

If you want to , i can display here some relevant excerpts from Lanza's book in question .

Don't be a narrow-minded materialist : science is all about methodology and epistemology , about free inquiry , not about some ontological biased preferences like that of the false materialist conception of nature , or false materialistic naturalism ...

Offline DonQuichotte

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
As, I said earlier, Don, if there is a particular point in Biocentrism you'd like to discuss or examine more closely, I'm more than willing. But don't just hand me a homework assignment, as in  "read all this, and write a 5 page essay that I will promptly ignore if you don't agree with me."

What do you know about it other than what you heard from Caroll on the subject ? Nothing

What do you know about quantum theory ? Not much , i guess  .

What has Chopra to do with Lanza's theory ? Nothing .

Who said Chopra was / is a new age lunatic ? Not me .

Can you think outside of the materialist key hole box ? I don't think so .

So, what are you talking about then ?

What makes you feel or think that you might be so qualified as to pretend to be able to deliver what you said above ? Nothing .

Offline Ethos_

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile

Why bother? If Don's summary is correct, it's drivel. And who are we to doubt Don?

Really ? You don't know what you're missing .
I'm sure alan is not missing very much, seeing that he is much more logical than you Don. But as for me, I know what I'm missing. I'm missing; Spending my time involved with this pointless thread. And I'm quite content missing the next volume of vomit that Don chooses to infect these pages with!

Offline dlorde

• Neilep Level Member
  • ex human-biologist & software developer
    • View Profile
I'm sure alan is not missing very much, seeing that he is much more logical than you Don. But as for me, I know what I'm missing. I'm missing; Spending my time involved with this pointless thread. And I'm quite content missing the next volume of vomit that Don chooses to infect these pages with!
Yup, Don's gone into pure copypasta mode. If he really feels we're not qualified to opine on the drivel he posts, and he's not prepared to make his own arguments or attempt rational refutations of ours, one wonders why he's here at all.

From past experience, the next stage he'll progress to will be school-yard insults. He's funny - and a bit sad.

Offline cheryl j

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
As, I said earlier, Don, if there is a particular point in Biocentrism you'd like to discuss or examine more closely, I'm more than willing. But don't just hand me a homework assignment, as in  "read all this, and write a 5 page essay that I will promptly ignore if you don't agree with me."

What do you know about it other than what you heard from Caroll on the subject ? Nothing

What makes you feel or think that you might be so qualified as to pretend to be able to deliver what you said above ? Nothing .

I'm not claiming any credentials or special abilities. I think it makes for a more effective and clearer exchange of ideas to look at the specific points, rather than fling broad generalizations back and forth, but if you feel I'm under-qualified, I have polar bears to paint.

Offline DonQuichotte

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Yup, Don's gone into pure copypasta mode. If he really feels we're not qualified to opine on the drivel he posts, and he's not prepared to make his own arguments or attempt rational refutations of ours, one wonders why he's here at all.

From past experience, the next stage he'll progress to will be school-yard insults. He's funny - and a bit sad.

What do you think i was doing then ? See my long post above .

What i posted was  no drivel either .

Regarding the qualified part of your post : i just responded to what Cheryl said , specifically,within that specific context  ,that's all .

As for the rest of your post : irrelevant speculations .
« Last Edit: 14/11/2014 19:12:55 by DonQuichotte »

Offline alancalverd

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • life is too short to drink instant coffee
    • View Profile
If it wasn't drivel, why did you say it was, by insisting that the consequence of biocentrism is that life preceded the universe in which it clearly didn't exist for several billion years?

That's the problem with science - if you make a statement, it has to be consistent with observation.

Offline DonQuichotte

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile

I'm not claiming any credentials or special abilities. I think it makes for a more effective and clearer exchange of ideas to look at the specific points, rather than fling broad generalizations back and forth, but if you feel I'm under-qualified, I have polar bears to paint.

I have just responded to your specific words , earlier on ,within that  specific context only,  that's all .

( "Quantum Enigma ..."  can be relatively understood  , even with zero prior knowledge of physics,as its authors claim ,  the same goes for Biocentrism ... .)

That was neither an offense , nor was it a kindda belittling of your own person or qualifications ..., needless to add , to the contrary , Cheryl .

You can't "take a closer look " at something about which you have almost no idea  .
Reading what a narrow-minded materialist like Caroll said about Biocentrism is not my idea of addressing Lanza's theory .

If i wanted to hear about what Caroll would have said about that theory , i would have   gone directly to its source , not that i would bother to do so , since materialist scientists like that are very predictable through  their boring materialist outdated false songs .

That's why i posted Lanza's  7 points theory ,so, you can address that via your own words , without relying on any 'authority " on the subject ,for that matter .

Painting polar bears sounds like fun . You can do both : when you're not painting , i would love to hear about your own thoughts concerning Lanza's theory and "Quantum Enigma ..." regarding which i have already posted relevant summaries  from their own sites on the subject  ,since none of you, guys , seems to have made the slightest effort to check out what those sites have to say on the subject through my provided links .

I am not interested much in dlorde's replies , since he's a die-hard materialist who can't think but materialistically .

No offense , dlorde . I can learn nothing new from him, i guess , since he would be only repeating those materialist outdated false songs .

I hope i am wrong about that .

alancalverd doesn't go beyond judgments of value , and can't go beyond his textbooks .

Not to mention Ethos ' hit and run funny and strange empty posts .

On the other hand , you seem to be more open-minded than the rest here , so .

Don't offer that relative freedom of thought of yours on the altar of those narrow-minded materialist scientists who are so dogmatic and ossified as to deliberately ignore and deny as such all that overwhelming evidence against materialism .
« Last Edit: 14/11/2014 19:26:14 by DonQuichotte »

Offline DonQuichotte

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
If it wasn't drivel, why did you say it was, by insisting that the consequence of biocentrism is that life preceded the universe in which it clearly didn't exist for several billion years?

That's the problem with science - if you make a statement, it has to be consistent with observation.

Consciousness was the one that preceded the universe  , not life , needless to add .

That's why the universe is so fine -tuned , for example , to allow conscious life on this tiny planet at least .

There is nothing more important in this universe than consciousness and life that cannot be accidents or by-products or side effects of evolution .

Life and consciousness that can never intrinsically be accounted for by materialism just via material processes only , and hence any unified theory must integrate life and consciousness as the major and key players in it , since the nature of reality is not exclusively material or physical , which means that physics alone can no longer be assumed to be able to come up with a unified theory .

The latter cannot  thus be just physical , ever.
« Last Edit: 14/11/2014 19:22:29 by DonQuichotte »

Offline DonQuichotte

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Cheryl, dlorde , alancalverd :

"When the province of physical theory was extended to encompass microscopic phenomena through the creation of quantum mechanics, the concept of consciousness came to the fore again. It was not possible to formulate the laws of quantum mechanics in a fully consistent way without reference to the consciousness."

Eugene Wigner

Andrei Linde: “Will it not turn out, with the further development of science, that the study of the universe and the study of consciousness will be inseparably linked, and that ultimate progress in the one will be impossible without progress in the other?”

Let's try to tackle lanza's theory , step by step, by trying to address some of his raised issues and arguments ,some at a time , like the following :

Regarding Einstein's relativity theories that are obviously incompatible with the simple explanation of quantum theory that asserts that the latter is impossible to understand without making reference to the mind :

Quote : "...

In order to account for why space and time are relative to the
observer, Einstein assigned tortuous mathematical properties to
the changing warpages of space-time, an invisible, intangible entity
that cannot be seen or touched. Although this was indeed successful
in showing how objects move, especially in extreme conditions of strong gravity or fast motion, it resulted in many people assuming that space-time is an actual entity, like cheddar cheese, rather than a mathematical figment that serves the specific purpose of letting us calculate motion. Space-time, of course, was hardly the first time that mathematical tools have been confused with tangible reality: the square root of minus one and the symbol for infinity are just two of the many mathematically indispensable entities that exist only conceptually—neither has an analog in the physical universe.

This dichotomy between conceptual and physical reality continued
with a vengeance with the advent of quantum mechanics.
Despite the central role of the observer in this theory—extending it
from space and time to the very properties of matter itself—some scientists
still dismiss the observer as an inconvenience, a non-entity.

In the quantum world, even Einstein’s updated version of Newton’s
clock—the solar system as predictable if complex timekeeper—
fails to work. The very concept that independent events can happen
in separate non-linked locations—a cherished notion often called
locality—fails to hold at the atomic level and below, and there’s
increasing evidence it extends fully into the macroscopic as well. In
Einstein’s theory, events in space-time can be measured in relation
to each other, but quantum mechanics calls greater attention to the
nature of measurement itself, one that threatens the very bedrock of
objectivity.

When studying subatomic particles, the observer appears to
alter and determine what is perceived. The presence and methodology
of the experimenter is hopelessly entangled with whatever he is
attempting to observe and what results he gets. An electron turns
out to be both a particle and a wave, but how and, more importantly,
where such a particle will be located remains dependent upon the
very act of observation.

This was new indeed. Pre-quantum physicists, reasonably
assuming an external, objective universe, expected to be able to
determine the trajectory and position of individual particles with
certainty—the way we do with planets. They assumed the behavior
of particles would be completely predictable if everything was
known at the outset—that there was no limit to the accuracy with
which they could measure the physical properties of an object of any
size, given adequate technology...."

End quote .

« Last Edit: 14/11/2014 18:50:42 by DonQuichotte »

Offline alancalverd

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile

Consciousness preceded the universe  , not life , needless to add .

Your definition of consciousness being....?

They assumed the behavior

No, Zeno's Paradox has been around for a very long time. Heisenberg puts numbers to it.
« Last Edit: 14/11/2014 18:29:40 by alancalverd »

Offline DonQuichotte

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
"When the province of physical theory was extended to encompass microscopic phenomena through the creation of quantum mechanics, the concept of consciousness came to the fore again. It was not possible to formulate the laws of quantum mechanics in a fully consistent way without reference to the consciousness."

Eugene Wigner

Regarding thus the non-materialist simple explanation or simple interpretation of quantum theory, the authors of "Quantum Enigma ..." said , and i quote :

"...The quantum weirdness is not hard to “understand”–even with zero physics background. But it’s almost impossible to believe . When someone tells you something you can’t believe, you might well think you don’t understand. But believing might be the real problem. It’s best to approach the subject with an open mind. That’s not easy.

The experimental facts basic to the quantum enigma are undisputed.
 But talking of the encounter of physics with “non-physical” stuff like consciousness is controversial. It’s been called our “skeleton in the closet.” You can look at the undisputed facts, and ponder for yourself what they mean."  End quote .

The above mentioned authors also said :

Quote :

"...About an experimental demonstration of the quantum enigma.
No theory can ever resolve the enigma without encountering the conscious observer..." End quote .

Richard Feynman said on the subject :

Quote :
"The two-slit experiment] contains the only mystery.
We cannot make the mystery go away by ‘explaining’
how it works…In telling you how it works we will have
told you about the basic peculiarities of all quantum mechanics.” End Quote .

Quote :   “The interpretation [of quantum mechanics] has remained a source of conflict from its inception… For many thoughtful physicists, it has remained a kind of "skeleton in the closet."” End quote .

– J. M. Jauch

Andrei Linde: “Will it not turn out, with the further development of science, that the study of the universe and the study of consciousness will be inseparably linked, and that ultimate progress in the one will be impossible without progress in the other?”
« Last Edit: 14/11/2014 18:49:21 by DonQuichotte »

Offline DonQuichotte

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
author=alancalverd link=topic=52526.msg444409#msg444409 date=1415989684]

Consciousness was the one that preceded the universe  , not life , needless to add .

Your definition of consciousness being....?

Can you define what electricity is , what aether is , what dark matter and dark energy are ...., what energy is , ...what magnetism is , ...what physical fields are ,what gravity really is , what space- time or space -and- time really are .....

Are the latter real entities or real things , or just concepts ?  ...to mention just that ?

I am not talking about their usual explanations . I am talking about you telling me what their real nature is .Try to do just that then .

96% of the universe is made of unknown dark matter and unknown dark energy .

All modern physics doesn't even know enough about the remaining 4 % , not even remotely close thus , despite its  bombastic talk about "the nature of reality " ,ironically enough,  like that of Caroll through the so-called standard model that allegedly can account for even all our daily human-scale world ...where our most important ,and that of the universe , most key and major feature of them all ,consciousness,not to mention life ,  is totally discarded as insiginificant or irrelevant processes, the latter in physics at least , while physics is assumed to be the basis upon which all sciences are built : psychology is just applied biology, biology just applied chemistry and chemistry is just applied physics  .

Tell me about the nature of the above , then , and only then , you can pretend to be able to approach what consciousness or life might be all about , if ever thus .

Modern science has been enabling scientists to explore the universe , without even being able to explore the most important and key major universe of them all , the one within each one of us , ironically enough : consciousness .

But , quantum theory has been showing that the study of the universe and that of consciousness are intrinsically and inseparably intertwined : the one is impossible to do without the other : quantum theory that can never be understood without making reference to the mind or to consciousness, ironically enough .

How can then quantum theory be compatible with relativity theories , with the usual explanations of gravity.... with the so-called standard model , let alone with the old and false Cartesian notion of separate mind and separate so-called external objective reality, or old and false Cartesian dichotomy  : a separate  mind  and the so-called separate external objective reality , or just with the materialistic monistic false and old notions of the so-called independent observer , independent observed so-called external objective reality ,  and insignificant irrelevant mind and consciousness ...(which are  the products of the physical brain through evolution via the natural selection : that of  the observed so-called external objective reality , that is ) upon which all materialist science has been built ...?

Yet , without a mind or consciousness, there could be no science , ironically enough .

How can consciousness and  the mind + their related processes and anomalies ,needless to add,  the observer thus (note that the physical brain is supposed to have been the product of evolution through natural selection , the brain that has also to obey the laws of physics thus . To assume that consciousness and  the mind ....are the products of the so-called evolutionary complexity of the physical brain is also assuming that the observed so-called external objective reality has produced consciousness and  the mind , the observer thus , through the physical brain ... ) , how can consciousness and the mind thus , the observer thus, be just the products of the observed so-called external objective reality ????

How can the 'tool " through which one observes or tries to apprehend the so-called objective external reality, the observed thus ,  be the product of the latter ????

The observer produced by the observed to observe the observed ....lol

The observer produced by the observed to observe itself lol , not only that , on top of that , to observe itself independently of itself : to observe itself independently of the observer that 's just the product of the observed lol

Insane materialistic paradoxical bullshit ...

How can consciousness and  the mind , the observer thus , be just the products of the observed physical laws ,forces and fields ????? = a real paradox .

Not only that , on top of all that , once again : there is the materialist notion of the independent observer and independent observed so-called external objective reality : the former as just the product of the latter , and yet , they are assumed to be independent of  each other ....

Is there any insane puerile absurd ridiculous paradoxical non-sense like that , ever ???????

Materialistic naturalistic monism is thus almost the exact opposite of what the simple explanation of quantum theory is all about, to say the least thus  : reudctionist materialism is thus incompatible with quantum theory , to say the least thus .

No wonder that materialists would never accept that simple explanation of quantum theory that has been delivered by Von Neumann school, by almost all founders of quantum theory , by many other prominent and less -prominent physicists , yesterday and today , like Lanza , like the authors of "Quantum Enigma ..." , like Amit Goswami and many many others ...

They assumed the behavior

No, Zeno's Paradox has been around for a very long time. Heisenberg puts numbers to it.

Can you elaborate on that, please  ?

Can you try to comment on the more relevant issues raised by the above displayed quotes or excerpts , please , instead of focussing on less relevant ones ? Thanks .

« Last Edit: 14/11/2014 20:49:30 by DonQuichotte »

Offline alancalverd

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile

Can you try to comment on the more relevant issues raised by the above displayed quotes or excerpts , please , instead of focussing on less relevant ones ? Thanks .

Indeed I will, as soon as I spot anything remotely relevant or interesting. Ranting without supporting evidence isn't worth a response.

But when you have a lucid moment, you might consider this:

Photographic film doesn't record single photons. You need two photons to interact with a silver halide crystal within a fairly short time (before the first interaction relaxes) in order to produce persistent blackening.

So in Taylor's famous single-photon double-slit experiment, the second photon has to "observe" the first one in order to collapse its wavefunction and record an interference pattern. No conscious observer can be involved because a conscious observer can only see the result, after the second photon has arrived, not the process by which the first photon decides where to go. Or are photons self-conscious? Or are silver halide crystals conscious?

Offline PmbPhy

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Quote from: alancalverd
But when you have a lucid moment, you might consider this:

Photographic film doesn't record single photons. You need two photons to interact with a silver halide crystal within a fairly short time (before the first interaction relaxes) in order to produce persistent blackening.

So in Taylor's famous single-photon double-slit experiment, the second photon has to "observe" the first one in order to collapse its wavefunction and record an interference pattern.
This doesn't make a lot of sense for the modern version of this experiment. For example; what were the results of this experiment when the source of light is so dim that only one photon is emitted per second?

In any case you're referring to the very old (200 years) version of this experiment (circa ~ 1803). Now the experiment can be done us  using a CCD instead of a photographic film/plate. CCDs can record single photons at a time.

No conscious observer can be involved because a conscious observer can only see the result, after the second photon has arrived, not the process by which the first photon decides where to go. Or are photons self-conscious? Or are silver halide crystals conscious?
Quantum mechanics does not require the use of conscious observers at all. That's a common misconception in quantum mechanics.

As John Wheeler once said (http://journalofcosmology.com/Consciousness139.html
Caution: "Consciousness" has nothing whatsoever to do with the quantum process. We are dealing with an event that makes itself known by an irreversible act of amplification, by an indelible record, an act of registration. Does that record subsequently enter into the "consciousness" of some person, some animal or some computer? Is that the first step into translating the measurement into "meaning" meaning regarded as "the joint product of all the evidence that is available to those who communicate." Then that is a separate part of the story, important but not to be confused with "quantum phenomena." (Wheeler, 1983).

Offline alancalverd

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Taylor's single photon double slit experiment was conducted around 1900, not 200 years ago, and involved one photon at a time, not one per second.

The point I'm trying to make is that quantum selfinterference has been demonstrated in the absence of any conscious observer. I think Don's problem, whioch seems to be shared by a number of deluded mystics, is taking a rather literal - indeed literary - interpretation of Heisenberg and Schrodinger's  use of "observe": what they are getting at is that we don't know anything about a particle until it has interacted with something else, and in doing so, no longer possesses the properties it had before the interaction - Wheeler's "irreversible act of amplification". This statement of the obvious applies to all objects but clearly the minimum "observable" (bouncing one photon off the object) has less effect on a moving car than it does on an electron, so it's only important for very small things, and you can use doppler radar for measuring the speed of  car with adequate precision, without endangering its occupants.   

IIRC the double-slit experiment has now been done with buckyballs.

Offline dlorde

• Neilep Level Member
  • ex human-biologist & software developer
    • View Profile
I think Don's problem, whioch seems to be shared by a number of deluded mystics, is taking a rather literal - indeed literary - interpretation of Heisenberg and Schrodinger's  use of "observe": what they are getting at is that we don't know anything about a particle until it has interacted with something else, and in doing so, no longer possesses the properties it had before the interaction - Wheeler's "irreversible act of amplification".
I think Don's problem is more fundamental than that; this particular misinterpretation (and others) has been explained to him many times in this and other threads. But he clings to anything to anything he feels supports his desired worldview, misinterpreted or not; any refutation, correction, explanation, or falsification is, to him, simply wrong. The more inescapable the contradiction, the more incoherent his response. To all intents and purposes it's a matter of faith - his error is in hoping to use science to support it, because it contradicts his view at every turn; so he must rely on misinterpretation, pseudoscience, and mysticism rather than coherent argument.

Just my opinion, of course.

Offline PmbPhy

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Taylor's single photon double slit experiment was conducted around 1900, not 200 years ago, and involved one photon at a time, not one per second.
Sorry. I confused this with Young's experiment.

The point I'm trying to make is that quantum selfinterference has been demonstrated in the absence of any conscious observer.
Absolutely! I'm right there with you then.

Offline DonQuichotte

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Folks :

Did you at least read what i posted here above on the subject ? I don't think so .

So, what's the relevance of this thread then, if you would only listen to your own materialistic outdated and false music then ? None.

Here is another "mystical deluded " quantum physicist who thinks that quantum theory can never be understood without reference to the mind  :

http://www.amitgoswami.org/

Even John  Wheeler said once , to mention just that :

" No phenomenon is a real phenomenon until it is an observed phenomenon."

Not to mention the non-computational nature of consciousness ,according to Roger Penrose :

« Last Edit: 15/11/2014 17:16:15 by DonQuichotte »

Offline alancalverd

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile

Even John  Wheeler said once , to mention just that :

" No phenomenon is a real phenomenon until it is an observed phenomenon."

which makes perfect sense in the context of Wheeler's definition of observation, but not yours.

Offline DonQuichotte

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile

Penrose hypothesizes that quantum mechanics plays an essential role in the understanding of human consciousness. The collapse of the quantum wavefunction is seen as playing an important role in brain function.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Emperor%27s_New_Mind

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length