The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Major Bombshell : Manifesto For A Post-Materialistic Science :  (Read 188009 times)

Offline DonQuichotte

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile

Even John  Wheeler said once , to mention just that :

" No phenomenon is a real phenomenon until it is an observed phenomenon."

which makes perfect sense in the context of Wheeler's definition of observation, but not yours.

Really ?

"...Wheeler has speculated that reality is created by observers in the universe. "How does something arise from nothing?", he asks about the existence of space and time (Princeton Physics News, 2006). He also coined the term "Participatory Anthropic Principle" (PAP), a version of a Strong Anthropic Principle. From a transcript of a radio interview on "The anthropic universe":[18]

Wheeler: We are participators in bringing into being not only the near and here but the far away and long ago. We are in this sense, participators in bringing about something of the universe in the distant past and if we have one explanation for what's happening in the distant past why should we need more?
    Martin Redfern: Many don't agree with John Wheeler, but if he's right then we and presumably other conscious observers throughout the universe, are the creators — or at least the minds that make the universe manifest..."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Archibald_Wheeler

Offline Ethos_

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile

Sir Don.......You're not understanding the point Wheeler was making with that remark.

Translation: No phenomenon can become a reality to our understanding unless we can observe empirical evidence of it's occurrence. Wheeler's statement does not mean that our observation of it somehow influences it's course or function. Please reread it keeping mind that Wheeler is only giving credence to the observation as a vehicle for our anticipated enlightenment.

Offline DonQuichotte

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile

Sir Don.......You're not understanding the point Wheeler was making with that remark.

Translation: No phenomenon can become a reality to our understanding unless we can observe empirical evidence of it's occurrence. Wheeler's statement does not mean that our observation of it somehow influences it's course or function. Please reread it keeping mind that Wheeler is only giving credence to the observation as a vehicle for our anticipated enlightenment.

See above : you're the ones who misunderstood or rather misinterpreted what the man said .

Can you observe your own consciousness or unconsciousness empirically ?

By the way , can you observe your own subjective inner life ...empirically ? lol

Is all what cannot be observed empirically a synonymous of it being non-existent , or not a part of reality ?
« Last Edit: 15/11/2014 19:30:09 by DonQuichotte »

Offline Ethos_

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile

See above
You're reading way too much into those remarks Don. What I take from his statements is this: Our existence is made reality in our minds thru the things we experience. However, our experiences are not the creators of true reality, only the reality which our mind understands. One can create any mental reality they choose to but true reality is the result that empirical experiment obtains.

Offline DonQuichotte

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile

See above
You're reading way too much into those remarks Don. What I take from his statements is this: Our existence is made reality in our minds thru the things we experience. However, our experiences are not the creators of true reality, only the reality which our mind understands. One can create any mental reality they choose to but true reality is the result that empirical experiment obtains.

What are you exactly talking about , Ethos ?

It's all perception : we are just perceivers , no conceivers .

The observer cannot be separated from the observed .

Regarding the rest of your post :

See the many forms of scientism :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientism

Let's get back to Wheeler : did you read the above , from wiki ?

Offline Ethos_

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile

The point I'm making is this:

There are facts about reality which are very unpleasant, such as the inevitability of death, but like taxes, death is inescapable. Even though I, along with many others would prefer a different reality, I prefer to know how things really are and not how I would prefer them to be. If one chooses to ignore reality and construct a make believe world suitable for themselves,  they risk being labeled as insane.

Your position in this thread parallels that risk Don because you keep insisting that we can influence physical reality thru observation only. I choose to know the true physical reality and will not be satisfied with delusion. And to insist that one's simple observation of an event is capable of influencing it is delusional. No such evidence exists!

Offline DonQuichotte

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
author=Ethos_ link=topic=52526.msg444561#msg444561 date=1416083079]

The point I'm making is this:

There are facts about reality which are very unpleasant, such as the inevitability of death, but like taxes, death is inescapable. Even though I, along with many others would prefer a different reality, I prefer to know how things really are and not how I would prefer them to be. If one chooses to ignore reality and construct a make believe world suitable for themselves,  they risk being labeled as insane.

You're very funny , Ethos :

Well, what you're talking about here above is totally different  from what i was mentioning . What you mentioned here above is thus a   matter of psychology .

On the other hand : What is reality ? What is the nature of reality ? That's a question all religions, philosophies, ancient wisdom ...and even science itself try to approach , their own different ways ,that is .

But , fact is : the  observed "reality " is inseparably and inescapably intertwined and linked with the observer . You cannot separate the one from the other .
So, the old  Cartesian dichotomy between the subjective and the objective , between the observer and the observed , and that they allegedly are separate from each other is false , thanks to quantum theory mainly .

And the materialist notion of the independent observer and independent observed so-called external objective reality is also false ,for the same reasons .

Your position in this thread parallels that risk Don because you keep insisting that we can influence physical reality thru observation only. I choose to know the true physical reality and will not be satisfied with delusion. And to insist that one's simple observation of an event is capable of influencing it is delusional. No such evidence exists!

I should see  a shrink  then  lol 

I was not saying that . All i was saying is that the observer and the observed cannot be separated from each other .

Even quantum theory can never be understood without reference to the mind ...

See my posts , posted quotes and short excerpts on the subject in the previous page .

Offline DonQuichotte

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Ethos : See the following on the subject :

author=alancalverd link=topic=52526.msg444409#msg444409 date=1415989684]

Consciousness was the one that preceded the universe  , not life , needless to add .

Your definition of consciousness being....?

Can you define what electricity is , what aether is , what dark matter and dark energy are ...., what energy is , ...what magnetism is , ...what physical fields are ,what gravity really is , what space- time or space -and- time really are .....

Are the latter real entities or real things , or just concepts ?  ...to mention just that ?

I am not talking about their usual explanations . I am talking about you telling me what their real nature is .Try to do just that then .

96% of the universe is made of unknown dark matter and unknown dark energy .

All modern physics doesn't even know enough about the remaining 4 % , not even remotely close thus , despite its  bombastic talk about "the nature of reality " ,ironically enough,  like that of Caroll through the so-called standard model that allegedly can account for even all our daily human-scale world ...where our most important ,and that of the universe , most key and major feature of them all ,consciousness,not to mention life ,  is totally discarded as insiginificant or irrelevant processes, the latter in physics at least , while physics is assumed to be the basis upon which all sciences are built : psychology is just applied biology, biology just applied chemistry and chemistry is just applied physics  .

Tell me about the nature of the above , then , and only then , you can pretend to be able to approach what consciousness or life might be all about , if ever thus .

Modern science has been enabling scientists to explore the universe , without even being able to explore the most important and key major universe of them all , the one within each one of us , ironically enough : consciousness .

But , quantum theory has been showing that the study of the universe and that of consciousness are intrinsically and inseparably intertwined : the one is impossible to do without the other : quantum theory that can never be understood without making reference to the mind or to consciousness, ironically enough .

How can then quantum theory be compatible with relativity theories , with the usual explanations of gravity.... with the so-called standard model , let alone with the old and false Cartesian notion of separate mind and separate so-called external objective reality, or old and false Cartesian dichotomy  : a separate  mind  and the so-called separate external objective reality , or just with the materialistic monistic false and old notions of the so-called independent observer , independent observed so-called external objective reality ,  and insignificant irrelevant mind and consciousness ...(which are  the products of the physical brain through evolution via the natural selection : that of  the observed so-called external objective reality , that is ) upon which all materialist science has been built ...?

Yet , without a mind or consciousness, there could be no science , ironically enough .

How can consciousness and  the mind + their related processes and anomalies ,needless to add,  the observer thus (note that the physical brain is supposed to have been the product of evolution through natural selection , the brain that has also to obey the laws of physics thus . To assume that consciousness and  the mind ....are the products of the so-called evolutionary complexity of the physical brain is also assuming that the observed so-called external objective reality has produced consciousness and  the mind , the observer thus , through the physical brain ... ) , how can consciousness and the mind thus , the observer thus, be just the products of the observed so-called external objective reality ????

How can the 'tool " through which one observes or tries to apprehend the so-called objective external reality, the observed thus ,  be the product of the latter ????

The observer produced by the observed to observe the observed ....lol

The observer produced by the observed to observe itself lol , not only that , on top of that , to observe itself independently of itself : to observe itself independently of the observer that 's just the product of the observed lol

Insane materialistic paradoxical bullshit ...

How can consciousness and  the mind , the observer thus , be just the products of the observed physical laws ,forces and fields ????? = a real paradox .

Not only that , on top of all that , once again : there is the materialist notion of the independent observer and independent observed so-called external objective reality : the former as just the product of the latter , and yet , they are assumed to be independent of  each other ....

Is there any insane puerile absurd ridiculous paradoxical non-sense like that , ever ???????

Materialistic naturalistic monism is thus almost the exact opposite of what the simple explanation of quantum theory is all about, to say the least thus  : reudctionist materialism is thus incompatible with quantum theory , to say the least thus .

No wonder that materialists would never accept that simple explanation of quantum theory that has been delivered by Von Neumann school, by almost all founders of quantum theory , by many other prominent and less -prominent physicists , yesterday and today ,  like the authors of "Quantum Enigma ..." , like Amit Goswami and many many others ...

« Last Edit: 15/11/2014 20:54:26 by DonQuichotte »

Offline Ethos_

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile

A word to the wise is sufficient!

Offline DonQuichotte

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile

A word to the wise is sufficient!

lol

All revolutionary scientists who revolutionized science , all revolutionary thinkers ....must go together with me to see a shrink indeed .

Maybe , i should lol

Try to read the above , Ethos .

Offline cheryl j

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
If consciousness creates reality, not just our private subjective experience of it, but literally creates physical reality, how is it possible to ever be wrong about anything? How would you explain something as simple as an optical illusion? The idea sounds infantile to me.
« Last Edit: 16/11/2014 00:26:32 by cheryl j »

Offline alancalverd

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • life is too short to drink instant coffee
    • View Profile

Can you define what electricity is , what aether is , what dark matter and dark energy are ...., what energy is , ...what magnetism is , ...what physical fields are ,what gravity really is , what space- time or space -and- time really are .....

Yes. And when we look for evidence of their existence, some turn out not to exist. In some cases such as "electricity" it turns out to be a weakly defined cause of an observed phenomenon and in others such as "aether" it turns out to be wholly unnecessary as the phenomena are fully explicable without it.

The problem with defining consciousness as the primordial cause of everything is that it doesn't align with the common usage of the word as an emergent property of some living things. You would do well to choose another word, and thus resolve some of the conflicts in your own mind.

Offline dlorde

• Neilep Level Member
  • ex human-biologist & software developer
    • View Profile
If consciousness creates reality, not just our private subjective experience of it, but literally creates physical reality, how is it possible to ever be wrong about anything? How would you explain something as simple as an optical illusion? The idea sounds infantile to me.
It is.

Offline dlorde

• Neilep Level Member
  • ex human-biologist & software developer
    • View Profile
The problem with defining consciousness as the primordial cause of everything is that it doesn't align with the common usage of the word as an emergent property of some living things. You would do well to choose another word, and thus resolve some of the conflicts in your own mind.
The closest word that comes to mind for what he's suggesting is 'magic'.

Offline Ethos_

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
The closest word that comes to mind for what he's suggesting is 'magic'.
Indeed,..........akin to a miracle as in the miraculous.

Offline PmbPhy

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Quote from: DonQuichotte
Really ?

"...Wheeler has speculated that reality is created by observers in the universe. "How does something arise from nothing?", he asks about the existence of space and time (Princeton Physics News, 2006).
Well, what can I say. Nobodies perfect. I particularly disagree with Wheeler on that point. Thanks for mentioning it. However I don't believe that he meant it in the sense that you interpreted it. Here is what I believe that he meant.

Quote from: Peter M. Brown
I think that a universe that exists all by itself without a concept to grasp it is a very odd thing. Then when a concept was established a reality then existed to grasp it. Is this in the ball park. It's almost enough to make be believe that God exists.

« Last Edit: 16/11/2014 07:59:42 by PmbPhy »

Offline cheryl j

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Really ?

"...Wheeler has speculated that reality is created by observers in the universe. "How does something arise from nothing?", he asks about the existence of space and time (Princeton Physics News, 2006).
Well, what can I say. Nobodies perfect. I particularly disagree with Wheeler on that point. Thanks for mentioning it. However I don't believe that he meant it in the sense that you interpreted it. Here is what I believe that he meant.

I think that a universe that exists all by itself without a concept to grasp it is a very odd thing. Then when a concept was established a reality then existed to grasp it. Is this in the ball park. It's almost enough to make be believe that God exists.

It's still hard to tell in the second quote whether by "reality' he is referring to the literal physical existence of things, or our subjective experience of them. The idea of the physical world existing unobserved may seem peculiar, like a movie running for billions of years in an empty theater. But the idea that consciousness creates reality, and that our consciousness even "reaches back" and constructs the past results in so many absurd inconsistencies on the human scale, not just in very small or very large scales for which we arguably have no intuitive understanding or practical experience.

When I read the second quote I think of early humans, or other primates, observing the world, plants and animals, things falling to the ground, weather, the workings of their own bodies, disease, the sun, the moon, the stars.  And I don't see how a "concept," connected to any of it, or lack of one, or the rightness or wrongness of it,  would have altered or diminished their sensory experience of it, or the physical processes themselves.

If the type of consciousness does not matter (whether its a scientist, a medieval peasant, an orangutan, or a lizard) and what that consciousness actually believes about that phenomena does not matter (one observer says the sun goes around the earth, another says the earth goes around the sun, another is completely blind can't see it at all) then why should I think consciousness has any effect at all in creating physical, non-subjective reality? What aspect of consciousness does matter causually if its neither of those? 

It's entirely different things to say we are dependent on, or even trapped by, brain and sensory processes in our selective filtering and interpretation of information about the physical world, and Wheeler's claim that those processes, and their limitations, actually alter that world in some way.
« Last Edit: 16/11/2014 17:40:34 by cheryl j »

Offline alancalverd

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • life is too short to drink instant coffee
    • View Profile
If two people observe the same phenomenon, whose consciousness precipitated it?

Offline cheryl j

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile

Exactly.
And if Lanza can't address even the most simple, logical problems with his theory, I don't see the point in wading through his personal version of quantum mechanics or his tangents about evolution. It is, as several critics have called it, a "shaggy dog" story.
« Last Edit: 16/11/2014 18:04:23 by cheryl j »

Offline DonQuichotte

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
author=PmbPhy link=topic=52526.msg444605#msg444605 date=1416124084]
Really ?

You're welcome .
What do you mean nobody is perfect ? : just because Wheeler says something you don't agree with ?

For your information : the interpretation of quantum theory has not been solved yet, if ever  : so, all interpretations of QM  are "equally " valid , to some extent at least ,but, i think that the most simple explanation of them all of quantum theory is the one involving the observer in it : : Occam's razor : that's the most valid one .

You don't believe Wheeler meant that ? :see this on the subject :

Quote : " ...He grappled with the interpretation of quantum mechanics and was an early proponent of the anthropic principle- in John L Casti's magnificent book Paradigms Lost, Casti quotes Wheeler analogizing observer-created reality with the game in which a group of people asks someone else to guess an object they have in mind by asking questions, except that in the modified version of this game, they let the object be created during the process of questioning. With his mentor Bohr's enduring principle of complementarity as a guide, Wheeler produced esoteric ideas that nonetheless questioned the bedrock of reality...." End quote .

Source : http://wavefunction.fieldofscience.com/2008/04/magic-without-magic-john-archibald.html

Not enough ? : see the following from Scientific American :

Quote : " ....In the 1950s Wheeler grew increasingly intrigued by the philosophical implications of quantum physics. According to quantum theory, a particle such as an electron occupies numerous positions in space until we observe it, when it abruptly "collapses" into a single position. Wheeler was one of the first prominent physicists seriously to propose that reality might not be a wholly physical phenomenon. In some sense, Wheeler suggested, reality grows out of the act of observation, and thus consciousness itself; it is "participatory."..."   End quote .

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/pioneering-physicist-john-wheeler-dies/

Gymnastics .

See above .
« Last Edit: 16/11/2014 19:03:25 by DonQuichotte »

Offline DonQuichotte

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
dlorde , alancalverd , Cheryl, Ethos ,PmbPhy : 

The interpretation of quantum theory has not been solved yet , if ever , so, all its interpretations are relatively "equally " valid ,since none of them has been proven conclusively .

But , the most simple interpretation of quantum theory of them all has been the one that involves the role of the observer in it : Occam's razor : that 's the most valid one .

dlorde : See what  professor  Jim Al -Khalili said about the elusive interpretation dilemma of quantum theory in his  " Quantum , A Guide For  The Perplexed ", A Short Excerpt From Chapter 6 : " The Great Debate " :

Jim says he subscribes to the " Shut up and calculate " view , which makes him free to explore all interpretations of QM . I did even post a short video of his ,once , on the subject , through the double slit experiment , where he said that the one who would be able to interpret just that should deserve the Nobel prize , while i see you all , guys ,here dismissing or a-priori rejecting the most simple and most valid explanation of them all of quantum theory, while you should in fact a -priori reject none  of those interpretations of quantum theory , including the former , that's the most simple and valid one of them all : the one where consciousness of the observer plays a central role ..

Let's see what our friend Jim says on the subject :

Quote :

"Formalism versus interpretation :

"An appreciation of many of the quantum concepts, such as the wavefunction and its strange properties, as well as the postulates that tell us how to extract information from it about then subatomic world, are essential for the success and understanding of the theory.

And yet we have seen in the first half of this book how difficult it is to translate what is essentially advanced mathematics into words that make sense, to both physicists and non-physicists. Another way of putting it is that while the formalism of quantum mechanics is not in doubt, nobody has yet found a satisfactory explanation, or interpretation, of the theory that is agreeable to everyone.
For the two-slit experiment, we are able to predict very precisely the form of the interference pattern seen on the screen (even though we cannot predict where any particular atom will land).

Much more impressive is that quantum mechanics predicts very precisely the properties of atoms and molecules and their constituent particles, as well as the nature of the forces that hold them together to give the richness and variety of structures we see around us. This predictive power is a sign of a successful scientific theory.
 What is so amazing is that we can do all this without knowing why we arrive at the results we do. It seems we can manage perfectly well without having a picture in our heads of just how the atom gets through the two slits.
The majority of practising physicists have learned to use the theory without understanding why it works.

In fact, some of the most prominent scientists of our age have admitted openly that no one really understands quantum mechanics! Should this not be a cause for concern? We will investigate in this chapter the differing attitudes and views that physicists have held, and still hold, regarding the issue of interpretation.

I am sure I will displease many physicists with what I will say in this chapter, since I plan to adopt an agnostic attitude towards the various views held. After all, my aim in this book is to explain what quantum mechanics is and why it is so strange. But it would be extremely dishonest and arrogant of me to pretend that all is rosy in the quantum garden.

Many physicists, some of them close colleagues and research collaborators of mine, feel strongly that there is no problem. They would argue that drawing attention to the conflicts between different interpretations of what is, after all, a perfectly well understood, logically consistent, and successful mathematical theory is unnecessary and pointless.

But I would be equally dishonest, and probably make this book a less interesting read, if I did not climb off the fence on certain occasions to make my personal views clear.
Let me begin with a strong but nevertheless accurate statement: No one interpretation of the quantum formalism has been proven to be any better than the rest, other than on aesthetic grounds or personal taste.
This has therefore suggested to many that it is a futile exercise to argue the relative merits and shortcomings of the various interpretations. Worse still, many believe that there is no true interpretation and that they are all equally valid ways of thinking about what is going on.

This view is embodied in the widely quoted ‘shut up and calculate’ interpretation, which suggests that since it has proven (so far at least) impossible to find the right interpretation, it is a waste of time talking about it. Let the philosophers worry about such issues while physicists get on with using the quantum mechanical formalism to learn about nature.

For over half a century most serious physicists frowned upon issues of interpretation. They argued that quantum mechanics is unique among scientific theories in that, while it has tremendous predictive power, all that it can comment upon, by definition, are the results of measurements. That should be all we need concern ourselves with, and not worry about requiring a unique interpretation in order to make progress. Such a pragmatic, or ‘instrumentalist’, view is rooted in the philosophy of ‘logical positivism’ that happened to be popular in Europe at the time that quantum mechanics was born.
 Of course I do not want to stray from physics into philosophy, but I’ll give the basic gist of this view: if two people have differing opinions but no way of settling their differences through empirical facts then their conflicting statements are meaningless and they should go and have a beer instead.

And my position on the matter? I subscribe to what I call the ‘shut up while you calculate’ view which leaves me free to contemplate the relative merits of the different interpretations of quantum mechanics when I am not thinking about Greek symbols, writing computer code, or scribbling algebra on my blackboard. Unfortunately, I have yet to settle on one interpretation after almost twenty years of worrying.
 I would say that quantum mechanics allows us to communicate with nature fluently by following well-understood rules of mathematical grammar, but we still lack a unique translation of what is being said!

In saying that, I must admit that like most other physicists I am burdened with the legacy of Bohr and what is regarded as the standard interpretation of quantum mechanics.
 It is the interpretation favoured in quantum textbooks and taught to physics undergraduates as though it were the only conceivable explanation of what is going on, although this attitude has been changing in recent years.
In its favour is the fact that it is the simplest interpretation. In providing recipes for carrying out calculations in quantum mechanics, it is the ultimate tool of the pragmatist and is known simply as the Copenhagen interpretation.
 Unfortunately, it has nothing to say about some of the deepest quantum mysteries and instead simply side-steps many of the issues. However, the name covers a whole spectrum of views, albeit with a common core.

To give you an example of how ingrained the Copenhagen view is in the teaching of the subject, many of the statements I made earlier in the book are ones that would not feature in some of the alternative, equally valid, interpretations. For instance: I went to great lengths to explain how the wavefunction is not a real physical entity but merely a set of numbers that allow us to make predictions about measurements. This is only according to the Copenhagen view and is not a feature shared by others you will meet, in which the wavefunction represents something physically real.
 Even more surprisingly, I need not have insisted in the two-slit trick that the atom must ‘somehow’ go through both slits at once.

It turns out that such a statement is not forced upon us by either the quantum formalism or experimental observation. In the de Broglie-Bohmian interpretation we will see how it is perfectly reasonable to assume the atom only went through one or other of the slits, and yet we can still end up with the interference pattern........." End quote .
« Last Edit: 16/11/2014 19:42:45 by DonQuichotte »

Offline DonQuichotte

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
author=PmbPhy link=topic=52526.msg444605#msg444605 date=1416124084]
Really ?

You're welcome .
What do you mean nobody is perfect ? : just because Wheeler says something you don't agree with ?

For your information : the interpretation of quantum theory has not been solved yet, if ever  : so, all interpretations of QM  are "equally " valid , to some extent at least ,but, i think that the most simple explanation of them all of quantum theory is the one involving the observer in it : : Occam's razor : that's the most valid one .

You don't believe Wheeler meant that ? :see this on the subject :

Quote : " ...He grappled with the interpretation of quantum mechanics and was an early proponent of the anthropic principle- in John L Casti's magnificent book Paradigms Lost, Casti quotes Wheeler analogizing observer-created reality with the game in which a group of people asks someone else to guess an object they have in mind by asking questions, except that in the modified version of this game, they let the object be created during the process of questioning. With his mentor Bohr's enduring principle of complementarity as a guide, Wheeler produced esoteric ideas that nonetheless questioned the bedrock of reality...." End quote .

Source : http://wavefunction.fieldofscience.com/2008/04/magic-without-magic-john-archibald.html

Not enough ? : see the following from Scientific American :

Quote : " ....In the 1950s Wheeler grew increasingly intrigued by the philosophical implications of quantum physics. According to quantum theory, a particle such as an electron occupies numerous positions in space until we observe it, when it abruptly "collapses" into a single position. Wheeler was one of the first prominent physicists seriously to propose that reality might not be a wholly physical phenomenon. In some sense, Wheeler suggested, reality grows out of the act of observation, and thus consciousness itself; it is "participatory."..."   End quote .

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/pioneering-physicist-john-wheeler-dies/

Gymnastics .

See above .

Offline DonQuichotte

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile

I don't subscribe to either Wheeler's or to its  similar new age interpretation  of QM , in the sense that "we create our reality " (A false  new age adage by the way ) , or that we "create our physical reality " ....

We do not create our reality or the physical reality ....The very word "create " implies producing something from nothing : that's not the proper of man , i guess .

I do subscribe to the view of the authors of "Quantum Enigma ..." and to that same one of many other physicists on the subject : the so-called physical reality exists only in wave-like forms of possibilities , eventualities , probabilities ... until it "freezes " or it gets actualized by the very act of observation .

Idealist monistic quantum physicist Amit Goswami, for example , goes even further , thanks to that philosophy of his at least , by saying that  the so-called objective reality out there is not out there , does not exist as such ...at all :

http://www.amitgoswami.org/

I don't agree with the idealistic monistic interpretation of quantum theory .

I think that  the ultimate or objective reality out there is really out there  (as well as within , but, that's another story ) in fact , but, we can never approach it through science at least , simply because whenever we would look at it, so to speak,  or observe it , we instantly turn it into the illusory physical reality , i guess, i don't know .Who does ?

Offline DonQuichotte

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile

I have already responded to that , earlier on : there must be only one ultimate source of all consciousnesses ,so, as Von Neumann , or Wigner or some other prominent physicist said  .

Call it cosmic consciousness, Zeus , God , or whatever ....

I am not sure that's the answer to your question though .

Offline cheryl j

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
the so-called physical reality exists only in wave-like forms of possibilities , eventualities , probabilities ... until it "freezes " or it gets actualized by the very act of observation .

Is there any other type of interaction or situation that can freeze or select among these probabilities other than consciousness of a (presumed) human observer? 

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length