The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Major Bombshell : Manifesto For A Post-Materialistic Science :  (Read 186068 times)

Offline DonQuichotte

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
author=dlorde link=topic=52526.msg444800#msg444800 date=1416328091]
The interpretation of quantum theory has not been solved yet , if ever , so, all its interpretations are relatively "equally " valid ,since none of them has been proven conclusively .

But , the most simple interpretation of quantum theory of them all has been the one that involves the role of the observer in it : Occam's razor : that 's the most valid one .
If you can bring yourself to read it, this article may help you understand why the 'Many Worlds' interpretation becoming increasingly popular, and why it has the fewest assumptions (Ockham's Razor). I don't expect you to agree with it, but perhaps it will correct some of your misapprehensions about it: Why 'Many Worlds' Is Probably Correct'.

Yeah, right : that fictitious many worlds' interpretation is an obvious  major violation of Occam's razor, no matter how you or others would try to make it look or sound otherwise .If that's not a major and cristal -clear violation of Occam's razor, i don't know what is . (Why multiply the universe itself into multiverses or parallel universes , just to 'explain " the universe  ? lol : that's a totally unnecessary plurality of assumptions, not to mention its obvious complexity , beyond necessity ...instead of simplicity ...) .Not only that , on top of that ,it is just a matter of taste , aesthetics , not to mention that it is just an unfalsifiable fantasy= unscientific bullshit  , like that hidden variable theory ....

Worse : just a materialist desperate attempt to walk around the interpretation dilemma of quantum theory , in vain ,instead of looking for a simple explanation .

The latter cannot in fact be found in materialistic terms, since the universe is not exclusively physical or material ,as Wheeler said,  that's why materialists cannot but deliver such unscientific and unfalsifiable bullshit theories ...instead of confronting the fact that materialism is false, in the first place to begin with , thanks to consciousness and all its related anomalies and processes that can never be intrinsically accounted for, let alone explained , by materialism  .

Incidentally, in his new book 'Life on the Edge', in a chapter about quantum consciousness theories, Jim Al-Khalili says (p.270), "There is actually no evidence that quantum mechanics is needed at all to account for consciousness".

(Prior note :
Actually , we don't even need quantum theory to acknowledge the simple fact that the observer and the observed are inseparable ,or that they affect each other , not to mention the simple fact that consciousness plays a central and key role in shaping reality .QM just brings that old and simple fact back to science or to physics .
Just tell me, dlorde : since the observer cannot but make an intrinsic and inescapable  part of the universe or reality he/she is observing , how can he/she be assumed to be separated from that observed reality ? ,as if he/she's observing the universe or reality from outside of the universe or outside of reality ,if such a 'thing " would 'exist " or make any sense at all ...as if the observer is independent from the universe or reality .

Reminds me of what Newton, once said , on the subject of atheism whose main flaw or logical fallacy is to assume that objects or people are independent entities ...

The latter don't exist as such ,since the universe is one and interconnected .) .

I know that : that's just his opinion or preferred interpretation , after exploring the relative merits of all interpretations of QM , that "agnostic " way ,as he claims at least  .

As a materialist , he cannot be a-priori that "agnostic " in fact ,as he claims ( That would be like a believer who would claim to take an a-priori atheistic or agnostic position .  lol ) ,since his materialism cannot but make him  a-priori rule out any active or proactive role , let alone a central role , of consciousness in physics .

But, if Jim would acknowledge the non-physical and non-local nature of consciousness , while ceasing to be a materialist as a result ,since materialism is false,  then , he cannot but revoke that claim of his regarding the "fact " that there is no evidence that QM can  account for consciousness ...

Well, daaahhh : there is no conclusive evidence for the rest of the interpretations of QM either ,and hence they are all  "equally valid " , as he claimed . Why single out just that particular interpretation then that happens to be totally incompatible with materialism ?

In other words , why say that that particular interpretation is hardly "valid " ? or that it is not valid at all ....while Jim's views on the subject are as "valid " as those of other physicists who hold totally different views from  his by the way ...according to the very logic of Jim lol

Actually , Jim contradicts himself , big time, thus , first by pretending to be able to take an "agnostic " position regarding the measurement paradox in QM,second by admitting that the interpretation of QM has not been solved yet conclusively , if ever ,which means that all interpretations of QM are 'equally " valid ,and hence  just a matter of taste or aesthetics , and third   by saying that hardly any physicists take the observer effect interpretation seriously , or that there is no evidence for the observer effect interpretation ...

The guy is full of contradictions thus , and his "Quantum : Guide for the perplexed " turns out to be a lost perplexed and confused "guide " in need of a guide itself : it just added to my confusion on the subject exponentially . I could have been totally lost thanks to Jim's book in question , was it not for other physicists who hold other views on the subject .

Nevertheless, QM is still a big mystery to me ,and to all  physicists,and to most people,  including Jim himself  , regardless of whether or not they would acknowledge that fact ,as Jim partly did .

Even Feynman himself said , and rightly so, i guess ,that "I can safely say that nobody understands quantum physics ..." .

To say the contrary is a plain and simple display of dishonesty and lack of integrity , to say the least .

Even many physicists , as Jim said by the way , including our alancalverd   here , even claim there is no problem or mystery , let alone a paradox, regarding the interpretation of QM.

alancalverd   even denied the very existence of the wave/particle duality itself  as such , ironically enough .

How can he explain the wave/particle duality of light and that of the rest of the  'particles " then ?

P.S.: QM set aside , even simple logics would tell you that the observer and the observed cannot be separated or independent from each other , no way , cannot but affect each other , including at the level of science .

Simple logics would tell you that the so-called objectivity even in science is a myth : see all those different interpretations of QM .See how the Eurocentric materialism has been taken for granted as science or as the scientific world view for relatively so long now ,and counting, , without a question, by the majority of scientists and other people as well , including yourselves ...

Science that's just a human social activity , and to some extent just a cultural one as well (See how the Eurocentric materialism has been taken for granted as science ....) .

Come on, the observer cannot be separated from the observed , cannot but affect and get affected by the latter ...
Even the very design of experiments , development of theories, the interpretation of data and empirical evidence  ...cannot but be affected by the  a -priori held beliefs or world views, expectations ...of the scientists observers in question ...

Otherwise , there would be no interpretation dilemma or problem at all ,either in science or elsewhere.

Our representations of reality cannot but be mostly mental ...mental constructs (Even science says so ) , through a-priori held beliefs or world views that shape consciousness  through cultures , environment , education, nurture , perception...not to mention the role of the unconscious in all that ,and that of the collective consciousness and collective unconsciousness or collective sub-consciousness as well, as Carl G.Jung used to say ...

In short :

Try to rid yourselves of that old and false Cartesian dichotomy between the subjective and the objective , between the observer and the observed ,and of the false alleged notion of the independent observer and independent observed reality .... not to mention their  materialistic reductionistic monistic versions...

Regarding the latter , how can the observed external objective reality produce the observer through evolution thus , simply put , while  they are assumed to be independent from each other : the observed allegedly producing the observer to observe the observed : to observe itself , not only that , on top of that , to observe itself independently of itself ...  Insane puerile absurd paradoxical pseudo-scientific materialistic bullshit that pretends to be "scientific " ....wow ....
« Last Edit: 19/11/2014 19:54:56 by DonQuichotte »

Offline alancalverd

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • life is too short to drink instant coffee
    • View Profile

Tell that to materialist scientists mainly , Alan , like yourself, ironically enough, who have been taking their materialistic pseudo-scientific  inexplicable magical voodoo for granted as science or as the scientific world view ,without question, since the second half of the 19th century at least,and counting ... .

Neither you nor the rest of the other materialist scientists would admit that dogmatic ignorance of theirs,despite all that overwhelming evidence against materialism  . 

and now you've gone and spoilt it with a silly rant. Maybe I'll communicate again when you have grown up.

That was no rant , just a fact : Instead of pretending to be able to lecture people about their foolish or unscientific rant , you'd be try to to detect all that materialistic pseudo-scientific inexplicable magical voodoo at the very heart of materialist science , Alan .

Good luck with that .

Tha hallmark of scientific writing is an absence of adjectives. If you have numbers, you show them. If you don't, you don't have a case. To my mind, concatenated adjectives are the sign of the ranter. Though I'll grant you that voodoo is probably being used here as a noun, however inappropriately.

alancalverd   even denied the very existence of the wave/particle duality itself, ironically enough .

I wasn't being ironic. The problem is that some people used to think that scientific "laws" were imposed on the universe by holy statute, and we knew all about them, so everything ought to behave as some aspect of a classical continuum. Hence the behaviour of light must be describable by either wave or particle equations because we know everything about wave and particle equations.  But annoyingly it turns out not to be the case, so rather than admit ignorance, people invented "duality" and blamed nature for being inconsistent.

But if we set intellectual arrogance aside and accept that scientific laws are discovered approximations, not imposed requirements, it all becomes a lot clearer: the world behaves as it does, and it is up to us to choose the most appropriate model if we want to predict what it will do next. Or we can investigate further and see if there is a more comprehensive formula. For the time being it seems that wave and particle models work pretty well, and we know which to use and when.  No paradox, just incomplete mathematics.
« Last Edit: 19/11/2014 19:31:42 by alancalverd »

Offline DonQuichotte

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Andrei Linde: Quote :

“Will it not turn out, with the further development of science, that the study of the universe and the study of consciousness will be inseparably linked, and that ultimate progress in the one will be impossible without progress in the other?”  End quote .

Indeed : how can there be any science , let alone the rest , without consciousness ? How can the latter not affect the observed reality and get affected by it as well , let alone be independent of it ... ? since the observer cannot but make an intrinsic , inseparable and inescapable part of the observed universe...

Can you observe the observed universe or observed reality from outside of the latter ? lol : Yes, that's what materialist science is basically saying, implicitly that is  : absurd ... paradox .
« Last Edit: 19/11/2014 20:33:36 by DonQuichotte »

Offline DonQuichotte

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
alancalverd : No time left , sorry , almost :

Did you or did you not deny the wave/particle duality of light and that of other 'particles " as such , earlier on ? Yes, you did .

You said there is no duality .

Did you or did you not deny the interpretation paradox  ,dilemma or problem of quantum theory as such , and their intrinsic mystery and weirdness ? Yes, you did .

Regarding the latter at least , you said : there is no problem ,as many other physicists did/do .

Both you and other physicists are wrong thus .

Did you or did you not deny the very fact that while using the extremely successful quantum theory , you don't understand why it works the way it does ? Yes, you did ...or as Jim said in that book of his :  Quote :  "...The majority of practicing physicists have learned to use the theory without understanding why it works ..." End quote : source : "Quantum, a guide for the perplexed " Chapter 6  "The great debate " .

The list is relatively long .I will remind you of all that , another time thus .

Even Feynman himself said ,and rightly so, that "I can safely say that nobody understands QM.... ", nobody does indeed , including yourself ,  ,while you said to me , earlier on : oh , it's very simple , just algebra ...

Way to go , physicist .
« Last Edit: 19/11/2014 20:30:18 by DonQuichotte »

Offline DonQuichotte

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Quantum: Einstein, Bohr, and the Great Debate about the Nature of Reality : By Manjit Kumar :

I have just started listening to this amazing book : wow : return to the source ,if you wanna "understand" QM , i guess , before it got infected by the materialistic reductionistic dogmatic  lethal disease  , that is lol :

http://www.amazon.com/Quantum-Einstein-Debate-Nature-Reality/dp/0393339882

Offline alancalverd

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
I have explained why the notions of duality and paradox exist only in the mind, and indeed only in the minds of the arrogant. There's a lot of Zen in good science.

There is no "why" in the cosmos as a whole. Why is a construct of mortal beings who require or desire motive and order in their lives. The scientific question is "how" - at least as far as physics is concerned - and although we don't have a full understanding of how quantum effects occur, we have a good handle on what to expect when they do. 

Anyway, enough from my side of the fence. Let's hear the sales pitch for your product. What does your nonmaterialist science predict more accurately or more efficiently than the methods you decry? If there are paradoxes, which ones does it unravel? I'm quite prepared to believe it is a superior approach if you can show rather than tell. 
« Last Edit: 19/11/2014 22:03:42 by alancalverd »

Offline dlorde

• Neilep Level Member
  • ex human-biologist & software developer
    • View Profile
... Just tell me, dlorde : since the observer cannot but make an intrinsic and inescapable  part of the universe or reality he/she is observing , how can he/she be assumed to be separated from that observed reality ?

Ah. Clearly you either didn't read the article or you didn't understand it. If there's something in particular you didn't follow, just ask, and I'll try to help you understand it.

The whole point of 'Many Worlds' is that the observer becomes part of the system being observed. When a system in quantum superposition is measured by interaction with some apparatus (or observer), the interacting apparatus becomes part of the superposition (the superposed wavefunction encompasses both system & apparatus), and when the apparatus interacts further with the environment, the environment becomes part of the superposition too. By this point, the initial superposition is said to have decohered because it has spread irretrievably into the environment. Each 'aspect' of the superposition sees one outcome of the measurement. This is just an extended evolution of the overall wavefunction of the whole ensemble - no magical 'collapse' involved. What part of this do you find difficult to follow?

If it will help you see the reality of superposition, here's the first undergraduate MIT lecture in quantum mechanics, called 'Introduction to Superposition', which explains very simply and clearly the empirical evidence for superposition, which is all the 'Many Worlds' interpretation relies on.

By all means object to the interpretation, but for your objection to be worth anything, it must be based on what the interpretation actually says, not a misunderstanding of what it says. So what are your particular grounds for objecting to it ? (bearing in mind that the superposition at the core of QM has been empirically confirmed many times).
« Last Edit: 19/11/2014 23:31:26 by dlorde »

Offline DonQuichotte

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
... Just tell me, dlorde : since the observer cannot but make an intrinsic and inescapable  part of the universe or reality he/she is observing , how can he/she be assumed to be separated from that observed reality ?

Ah. Clearly you either didn't read the article or you didn't understand it. If there's something in particular you didn't follow, just ask, and I'll try to help you understand it.

The whole point of 'Many Worlds' is that the observer becomes part of the system being observed. When a system in quantum superposition is measured by interaction with some apparatus (or observer), the interacting apparatus becomes part of the superposition (the superposed wavefunction encompasses both system & apparatus), and when the apparatus interacts further with the environment, the environment becomes part of the superposition too. By this point, the initial superposition is said to have decohered because it has spread irretrievably into the environment. Each 'aspect' of the superposition sees one outcome of the measurement. This is just an extended evolution of the overall wavefunction of the whole ensemble - no magical 'collapse' involved. What part of this do you find difficult to follow?

If it will help you see the reality of superposition, here's the first undergraduate MIT lecture in quantum mechanics, called 'Introduction to Superposition', which explains very simply and clearly the empirical evidence for superposition, which is all the 'Many Worlds' interpretation relies on.

By all means object to the interpretation, but for your objection to be worth anything, it must be based on what the interpretation actually says, not a misunderstanding of what it says. So what are your particular grounds for objecting to it ? (bearing in mind that the superposition at the core of QM has been empirically confirmed many times).

Ok,I did not read that article , to be honest ,so .

I will just refer you to what the authors of "Quantum Enigma ..." said about  that many worlds' interpretation , as follows :

Excerpt from Chapter 15 : "What’s Going On? Interpreting the Quantum  Enigma: "

Quote :

"
Many Worlds :

The Many Worlds interpretation accepts what quantum theory says
literally . Where the Copenhagen interpretation has observation mysteriously collapsing the atom’s wavefunction into a single box, and Schrödinger’s cat into the living or dead state, the Many Worlds interpretation just says “no” to collapse. Quantum theory says the cat is simultaneously alive and dead. So be it! In one world, Schrödinger’s cat is alive, and in another it is dead.

Hugh Everett came up with the Many Worlds idea in the 1950s to
allow cosmologists to deal with a wavefunction for the entire universe.
With no need for “observers” to collapse the wavefunction, the Many
Worlds interpretation presumes to resolve the quantum enigma by the
sensible-seeming ploy of including consciousness as part of the physical
universe described by quantum mechanics.

In the Many Worlds interpretation, you are part of the universal wavefunction.
 Consider our box pairs. Looking into one of the boxes, you
entangle with the atom’s superposition state. You go into a superposition
state both of having seen the atom in the box you looked in and also of
having seen that box empty. There are now two of you, one in each of two
parallel worlds. The consciousness of each one of you is unaware of
the other “you.” Instead of looking in a box, yet another “you” did an interference experiment. Nothing we actually experience conflicts with this
bizarre view.

To bring more than one observer into the picture, let’s go back to
Schrödinger’s cat. Alice looks in the box while Bob is far away. In one
world Alice, call her Alice 1 , sees a live cat. In the other, Alice 2 sees a dead cat.
At this point Bob is also in both worlds, but Bob 1 and Bob 2 are essentially identical.

Should Bob 1 meet Alice 1 , he would help her get milk for the hungry cat. Bob 2 would help Alice 2 bury the dead cat. Macroscopic objects Alice 2 and Bob 1 exist in different worlds and, for all practical purposes, never encounter each other.

After Bell’s theorem and the experiments it allowed, we know that our
actual world perhaps cannot have reality and, certainly cannot have separability.
In the Many Worlds interpretation there is no separability. In that
world in which Alice finds the cat alive, Bob instantly becomes a person in
the cat-alive world. And there is clearly no single reality, which seems
equivalent to no reality.

The Many Worlds interpretation stirs strong feelings. One academic
author decries it as “profligate” and refers to its proposer as a “chain-smoking, horned-Cadillac-driving, multimillionaire weapons research analyst.”
(At the time Everett proposed it, he was just a graduate student.)

On the other hand, a leader in quantum computing writes that the Many Worlds interpretation “makes more sense in so many ways than any previous world-view, and certainly more than the cynical pragmatism which too often nowadays serves as a surrogate for a world-view among scientists.”
(By “cynical pragmatism” he surely means the unquestioning acceptance
of Copenhagen.).

The Many Worlds interpretation is today the favorite interpretation of
many quantum cosmologists for the early universe they consider.
 They can ignore the observer problem. No observers around then. Since the universe includes everything, it is by definition isolated from any external “environment.”

Decoherence thus need not be an issue. A quantum cosmologist colleague tells us that the Many Worlds interpretation is his favorite, although he doesn’t like it.

There’s an unresolved problem with the Many Worlds interpretation:
What constitutes an observation? When does the world split? The splitting
into two worlds is presumably just a way of speaking. Are infinitely many
worlds continuously created?.

In any event, the Many Worlds interpretation vastly extends what
Copernicus started. Not only are we removed from the center of the cosmos to a tiny spot in a limitless universe, but the world we experience is just a minute fraction of all worlds. However, “we” exist in many of them. Many Worlds, the most bizarre description of reality ever seriously proposed, provides a fascinating base for speculation, and for science fiction." End quote .
« Last Edit: 20/11/2014 17:39:58 by DonQuichotte »

Offline DonQuichotte

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
I have explained why the notions of duality and paradox exist only in the mind, and indeed only in the minds of the arrogant. There's a lot of Zen in good science.

There is no "why" in the cosmos as a whole. Why is a construct of mortal beings who require or desire motive and order in their lives. The scientific question is "how" - at least as far as physics is concerned - and although we don't have a full understanding of how quantum effects occur, we have a good handle on what to expect when they do. 

Anyway, enough from my side of the fence. Let's hear the sales pitch for your product. What does your nonmaterialist science predict more accurately or more efficiently than the methods you decry? If there are paradoxes, which ones does it unravel? I'm quite prepared to believe it is a superior approach if you can show rather than tell.

( Prior note :

How can you deny the wave /particle duality a such ? ,while it has been demonstrated to occur even at the level of some large molecules ...Many experiments have shown that , not to mention the famous double slit experiment ...Many physicists even say that the whole universe is quantum "mechanical " ,so , the wave/particle duality might exist even at the level of our relatively large-scale human world : it just can't be detected as such ..yet , that is . )

Ok, the "Why " was used even by Jim in that quote of his . He should have used the word " how " indeed , in the sense that " ...The majority of practicing physicists have learned to use the theory without understanding why (how )  it works ..." .

What about Bell's theorem ? See the following on the subject :

From "Quantum Enigma ..." , Excerpt from Chapter 14 : " Experimental metaphysics" :

Quote :

Experimental Metaphysics :

"All men suppose that what is called wisdom deals with the first causes and the principles of things."

— Aristotle, in Metaphysics

Metaphysics , literally, “after physics,” is the title a fi rst-century editor gave to a collection of Aristotle’s philosophical works that came after his book Physics .

Were Aristotle around today, he would surely explore “fi rst causes” by trying to understand what quantum mechanics is telling us about the world, and about us.
Our title for this chapter, “Experimental Metaphysics,” was inspired by
a recent collection of essays by that name discussing laboratory experiments exploring the foundations of quantum mechanics.

The book’s first chapter (by John Clauser) has the provocative title “De Broglie Wave Interference of Small Rocks and Live Viruses,” which are the experiments Clauser is proposing.

Because the microscopic realm of atoms differs by so many orders of
magnitude from the macroscopic realm of humans, some argue that quantum mechanics has little implication for our human-scale view of Nature, “what’s really going on.” That was not the attitude of Einstein, Bohr, Schrödinger, Heisenberg, and the other developers of quantum theory. In later years, however, as the quantum enigma remained unresolved, and the theory worked so well for all practical purposes, the early concerns waned.
That’s changed. There’s lots of agreement today that we fundamentally
don’t understand what’s going on. At least there’s lots of dis agreement about what’s going on, which is pretty much the same thing.

Bell’s theorem and the experiments it fostered are responsible.
They did more than confirm the weird predictions of quantum theory. The
experiments showed that no future theory could ever explain our actual
world as a “reasonable” one. Any correct future theory must describe a
world in which objects do not have properties that are separately their
own, independent of their “observation.” In principle, that applies to all
objects. Even to us?

From a classical physics point of view, some argue that we are just
objects governed by biology and chemistry, and therefore ultimately
by deterministic physics. However, since Bell’s theorem, the human
element, free choice, for example, is seen as an issue in fundamental
physics questions.

While the free choice of the experimenter was implicit in classical
physics there is no classical physics experiment where free choice, a human
element, becomes problematic. Although it may never be practical to do a
quantum experiment critically involving free choice, a suggested one
discussed below comes close.
In the rest of this chapter, we touch on several experiments and proposed
experiments that ever more tightly, but mysteriously, connect the
strange microscopic world with the “reasonable” macroscopic world we
experience.

Macroscopic Realizations :

So far, in our telling of an object’s existence in two places at once, or its
entanglement with another object, the objects were photons, electrons, or
atoms, objects small enough to be physically isolated from their macroscopic surroundings.

In recent years, quantum phenomena have been extended to
larger objects, and even more signifi cantly, to objects with substantial contact with the macroscopic environment. By the time this book is in print there will surely be dramatic phenomena we would have included...." End quote .

Offline DonQuichotte

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
dlorde :

What about Bell's theorem ? : See my  post to alancalverd on the subject here above .

Bohr was right , after all , and Einstein wrong , regarding that famous dispute of theirs at least .

http://arxiv.org/abs/0810.4974

Take a look at the following quote from what i posted to alancalverd here above on the subject : Quote :

"....

The book’s first chapter (by John Clauser) has the provocative title “De Broglie Wave Interference of Small Rocks and Live Viruses,” which are the experiments Clauser is proposing.

Because the microscopic realm of atoms differs by so many orders of
magnitude from the macroscopic realm of humans, some argue that quantum mechanics has little implication for our human-scale view of Nature, “what’s really going on.” That was not the attitude of Einstein, Bohr, Schrödinger, Heisenberg, and the other developers of quantum theory.

In later years, however, as the quantum enigma remained unresolved, and the theory worked so well for all practical purposes, the early concerns waned.

That’s changed. There’s lots of agreement today that we fundamentally
don’t understand what’s going on. At least there’s lots of dis agreement about what’s going on, which is pretty much the same thing.

Bell’s theorem and the experiments it fostered are responsible.

They did more than confirm the weird predictions of quantum theory.

The experiments showed that no future theory could ever explain our actual world as a “reasonable” one.
 Any correct future theory must describe a world in which objects do not have properties that are separately their own, independent of their “observation.” In principle, that applies to all objects. Even to us?
  End quote .

P.S.: Whenever i try to fix the display of the above quotes , they just appear as they do here above , sorry .
« Last Edit: 20/11/2014 18:43:30 by DonQuichotte »

Offline DonQuichotte

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
The nature of reality is this: It is hidden, and it is hidden, and it is hidden.

–Rumi

Wonderful, Wonderful
Copenhagen:

Wonderful, wonderful Copenhagen . . .
Salty old queen of the sea
Once I sailed away
But I’m home today
Singing Copenhagen, wonderful, wonderful
Copenhagen for me.
— “Wonderful Copenhagen,” by Frank Loesser

Offline alancalverd

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile

How can you deny the wave /particle duality a such ? ,while it has been demonstrated to occur even at the level of some large molecules ...Many experiments have shown that , not to mention the famous double slit experiment ...Many physicists even say that the whole universe is quantum "mechanical " ,so , the wave/particle duality might exist even at the level of our relatively large-scale human world : it just can't be detected as such ..yet , that is . )

Decry rather than deny. Duality is the construct of an arrogant and lazy mind, that thinks it knows everything, so the world must be made of classical waves or classical particles,or things that can be either. Fact is the world is made of things that are neither, but can be modelled as either.

Previous generations of scientists, brought up on classical mechanics, can be forgiven for talkijng about dality wen addressing a lay audience, but for the last 50 years at least, chemistry and physics have been taught from a quantum perspective, so most current professionals don't waste their lives arguing about duality.

OK, I've now convinced myself. Duality is nonsense. The quantum world is a lot more subtle than that.   

And I'm still waiting for an example of something predicted by this nonmaterial physics that turns out to be more true than anything predicted by material physics.

Offline dlorde

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
I will just refer you to what the authors of "Quantum Enigma ..." said about  that many worlds' interpretation
<snipped long copypasta>
Yup, that's pretty much it. It simply accepts the empirical evidence that quantum mechanics is real, and doesn't try to hack it to conform to our intuitive view of reality.

There’s an unresolved problem with the Many Worlds interpretation:
What constitutes an observation? When does the world split? The splitting
into two worlds is presumably just a way of speaking. Are infinitely many
worlds continuously created?
Not really unresolved - an observation is any interaction with the quantum system. The result is that whatever interacts with it joins the superposition. In that sense, the world doesn't really split at all. The original superposition extends to encompass the measuring apparatus and, through further interactions, the environment. What is called a 'world' is just one state of that superposition. This 'sharing' of superposition is going on continually in Hilbert space, there's plenty of room and no interaction between superposed outcome states ('worlds').

It may seem bizarre, unintuitive, and unexpected, but that's just a consequence of it depending on the confirmed reality of quantum superposition, which is itself bizarre, unintuitive, and unexpected - as clearly described in the MIT tutorial video which you presumably didn't watch either.

Offline DonQuichotte

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
dlorde,alancalverd :

Infinite realities  is equal to no reality : many worlds' interpretation belongs more to sci-fi than to science , even though the former can become the latter sometimes , but not in this case .

What makes the universe 'split " ,and how ? How can one falsify that fantasy ?

Why did you ignore that yet another game changer : Bell's theorem , i wonder .

"Your perception is your reality " i say , almost thus .

alancalverd :

Chill, man : the Nobel prize winner son of Bohr and others do even say that there is no atomic or sub-atomic world as such even, through their extreme Copenhagen interpretation ...

For the rest , later then .

Thanks. Cheers.

« Last Edit: 20/11/2014 21:37:52 by DonQuichotte »

Offline alancalverd

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Still no predictions or explanations. I'm beginning to suspect he hasn't got any, which means it isn't science.

Offline DonQuichotte

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Still no predictions or explanations. I'm beginning to suspect he hasn't got any, which means it isn't science.

Don't worry , Alan : I will provide you with way more than you can ever handle .Take care .

Offline dlorde

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
dlorde :
What about Bell's theorem ?
What about it? Bell gave the criteria for demonstrating whether quantum entanglement could be explained classically or was something quite different. The experiments that have been done to date appear to violate Bell's criteria (Bell's inequalities) for being consistent with classical mechanics. IOW, they are consistent with QM, and it looks like the world doesn't follow classical rules. Some say the experiments aren't definitive, but their case is looking weaker by the day.

As usual, one should follow the evidence with an open mind. We know, both empirically and theoretically, very precisely what QM does and what it doesn't do; but we don't know what's going on 'behind the scenes' - or even if there is a 'behind the scenes'.

The violation of Bell's inequalities is consistent with the 'Many Worlds' interpretation, which doesn't include counterfactual definiteness (definite knowledge of unmeasured properties), but is otherwise realist, deterministic, and local, in the manner of classical mechanics. This makes it more like classical mechanics than collapse interpretations, e.g. the Copenhagen interpretation, which introduce the indeterministic and non-local collapse of the wavefunction.

Since, in the MW interpretation, the unitary, deterministic dynamics of the evolution of the wavefunction results in the appearance of wavefunction collapse for each superposed state, the problematic inclusion of an actual collapse in the theory is unnecessary - Ockham's razor suggests we remove it, (and, incidentally, Einstein's criticism of QM is thereby resolved).

So it is the collapse interpretations, such as the Copenhagen interpretation, which introduce non-determinism and non-localism when they introduce the unnecessary wavefunction collapse.
« Last Edit: 21/11/2014 14:28:34 by dlorde »

Offline dlorde

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
I already answered that above. Sadly for you, superposition isn't a fantasy - just watch the MIT 'Introduction to QM' lecture I linked above. You'll notice that the lecturer goes to great pains to emphasise how apparently illogical and unreasonable superposition is - yet it is clearly established empirical fact.

Violation of Bell's inequalities is consistent with MW as mentioned above.

« Last Edit: 21/11/2014 14:26:12 by dlorde »

Offline alancalverd

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile

Don't worry , Alan : I will provide you with way more than you can ever handle .Take care .

Just one will suffice. But hurry before I lose interest.

Offline DonQuichotte

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
author=dlorde link=topic=52526.msg444884#msg444884 date=1416439722]

Well, i have just read some parts of it ,after all (I will read the rest of it as well , later on, and will watch those MIT lectures as well , whenever i would have time for just that , thanks .) .It's an easy one to grasp : that's its most appealing part , i guess . Caroll is a clear materialist bastard lol : it's quite a fascinating and elegant theory , but,it makes sense only from the materialistic perspective ,that is , not to mention that it belongs more to sci-fic than to science :

0- Its main and most lethal flaw that's largely sufficient in or by itself to declare it as irreversibly false is that it is just a materialistic theory , in the sense that it assumes that consciousness is just a material process that cannot but make part of the physical universe,so, consciousness cannot but get entangled with its environment and remain in a superposition state, while the non-local and non-physical nature of consciousness is synonymous of the fact that consciousness can never be in a superposition state , since it is not material ,as Von Neumann proved  .

1-Takes QM literally .

2 - Violates Bell's theorem , not regarding separability or locality , but regarding reality or realism . That theorem and all those related experiments done by Bell, Aspect, Clauser ,Freedman ... clearly show that there is no separability or locality and no reality as such , proving Bohr to be right and Einstein to be wrong on the subject .

3_ Doesn't resolve the observation problem, since conscious observation has to be made after all , at the end of the measurement chain , as Von Neumann used to say .

To mention just the above , for the time being at least .

See above : that whole point of that theory is built upon sand castles , since consciousness is a non-physical and non-local process , and hence can never be in a superposition state .

I will watch that , thanks .

Consciousness as a non-material and non -local process can never be in a superposition state , once again , since it is not material at least .

See above .

Consciousness is no part of the physical universe , it shapes it , from outside of the laws of physics , from outside of space and time , as Von Neumann proved ,so, consciousness as a non-physical and non -local process can never be in a superposition state .

Since materialism assumes that consciousness is just a material process ( a materialist claim or production theory for which there is absolutely no empirical evidence whatsoever to support it .) ,then , no wonder that materialists assume that consciousness is just a part of the physical universe , no wonder that that false materialist premise is the backbone of many worlds theory , a broken backbone that is : that's more than enough to prove many worlds' interpretation of quantum theory or of its measurement problem to be ...false irreversibly .

In short :

If there is some process that can collapse the wave function , then consciousness is the only   serious candidate for that , as Von Neumann proved .
« Last Edit: 21/11/2014 18:15:45 by DonQuichotte »

Offline DonQuichotte

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
author=dlorde link=topic=52526.msg444946#msg444946 date=1416522791]
I already answered that above. Sadly for you, superposition isn't a fantasy - just watch the MIT 'Introduction to QM' lecture I linked above. You'll notice that the lecturer goes to great pains to emphasise how apparently illogical and unreasonable superposition is - yet it is clearly established empirical fact.

When i wrote the above , i had not read that Caroll's article ,so .

I have never  questioned  the superposition state though , i am just saying that since consciousness is not a material process that makes part of the physical universe (see above ) , so it can never be in a superposition state , since consciousness is a non-local and a non-physical process that might be the one that collapses the wave function from outside of the laws of physics , from outside of space and time, as Von Neumann proved .

Violation of Bell's inequalities is consistent with MW as mentioned above.

MW is consistent only with the part of Bell's theorem that proves there is no separability or locality , but it is inconsistent with that theorem 's part that proves reality to be a kind of illusion .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell%27s_theorem

"After Bell’s theorem and the experiments it allowed, we know that our
actual world perhaps cannot have reality and, certainly cannot have separability.In the Many Worlds interpretation there is no separability, and there is clearly no single reality, which seems equivalent to no reality.
" Quote from "Quantum Enigma ..." .

But , i disagree with the latter sentence from the above mentioned quote , in the sense that since materialism or its positivism or realism assume that there is an observed objective external reality out there that's independent of  the observer ,as there is locality or separability ,at the macroscopic classical  level at least , and since  that materialistic MW theory says almost the opposite at the quantum level : there is no separability and many realities as well (many realities is no synonymous of no reality ) , then materialism is contradicting itself thus , while the whole universe is supposed to be quantum "mechanical " : See the paradox ?

In other words :

Materialism says there is an observed external objective reality out there ,at the macroscopic or classical level at least , that's supposed to be independent of or separated from the observer : there is both separability or locality and reality as such , but  at the quantum level , the materialistic MW theory says almost  the very opposite : there is no separability (there is non-locality ) and there are many worlds or realities ,while the whole universe is supposed to be quantum "mechanical " in fact : see the contradictions of materialism ?

How can materialism "unify " its MW theory at the quantum level which says that there is no separability and there are many realities , with its materialistic assumptions of locality and separability at the macroscopic level then ? ,since the whole universe is supposed to be quantum "mechanical " .
« Last Edit: 21/11/2014 19:00:32 by DonQuichotte »

Offline DonQuichotte

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
"I have thought a hundred times as much about the quantum problem as I have about general relativity theory."

— Albert Einstein

"I cannot seriously believe in [quantum theory] because . . . physics should represent a reality in time and space, free from spooky action at a distance."

— Albert Einstein

Bell, Aspect , Clauser and others proved Bohr to be right and Einstein to be wrong : there are both "spooky actions at a distance " = non-locality or non-separability ,as well as no reality as such .

Quote : "...Bell’s theorem has been called “the most profound discovery in science in the last half of the twentieth century.” It has rubbed physics’ nose in the weirdness of quantum mechanics. Bell’s theorem and the experiments it stimulated answered what was supposedly a “merely philosophical question” in the laboratory.
We now know Einstein’s “spooky actions” actually exist. Even events
at the edge of the galaxy instantly influence what happens at the edge of
your garden. We quickly emphasize that such influences are undetectable
in any normally complex situation.
Nevertheless, What are now called “EPR-Bell influences,” or entanglement,
now get attention in industrial laboratories for their potential to allow incredibly powerful computers. They already provide the most secure encryption for confidential communication. Bell’s theorem has renewed interest in the foundations of quantum mechanics, and dramatically displays physics’ encounter with consciousness."
End quote : "Quantum Enigma ..." .
« Last Edit: 21/11/2014 19:16:58 by DonQuichotte »

Offline cheryl j

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Don, your repeated statement "since consciousness is not a material process..." isn't a proven statement. Every thing you say after that hinges on an assertion you can't prove. There's also no meaning in your complaint about the "separation" of the observer and observed in materialism or naturalism.  If anything, materialism is more inclusive because in that view, everything is made of the same stuff,and is subject to the same physical laws. You're the one making a special case for consciousness and  separating it from the rest of the physical world. All that materialism denies is that subject experience is the same reality. If my thermostat in my house is broken, there is a not another reality in which my house is actually warm. The thermostat is just wrong. If my thermostat cannot detects sound waves, that doesn't mean they aren't there. Likewise our subject experience, what aspects of reality we can detect, has limitations. What is so confusing to you about that?
« Last Edit: 21/11/2014 19:11:21 by cheryl j »

Offline DonQuichotte

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
author=cheryl j link=topic=52526.msg444997#msg444997 date=1416596956]
Don, your repeated statement "since consciousness is not a material process..." isn't a proven statement. Every thing you say after that hinges on an assertion you can't prove.

Ok, It's the other way around : Many worlds theory is all built upon the materialistic  assumption or false premise that the consciousness of the observer makes part of the physical reality (consciousness as just a material process : materialist production theory for which there is absolutely no empirical evidence whatsoever to support it .) ,so, consciousness of the observer cannot but get entangled with its environment and remain in a superposition state .

On the other hand , there is an indirect overwhelming evidence for the non-local and non-physical nature of consciousness ,as Von Neumann and others proved .

Better still : Bell's theorem and other related experiments proved the non-locality or no separability as well as the non-reality at the quantum level , and since the whole universe is supposed to be quantum "mechanical ", then that non-locality and no reality do apply also to our human -scale world , since non-locality or entanglement has been proved even at the level of some large molecules  also ....so, the non-local and non-physical non-materialist conception  of consciousness is the one that can account for consciousness and all its related anomalies and processes , not to mention that the Von Neumannian fact that consciousness as a non-physical process that acts from outside of the laws of physics or outside of space and time is the only serious candidate for the collapse of the wave function, since consciousness as a non-physical process can thus never be in a superposition state ...

There's also no meaning in your complaint about the "separation" of the observer and observed in materialism or naturalism.

Naturalism is not only materialistic , remember : goes beyond that .Naturalism that's all about methodology and epistemology , not about the alleged separation between the observer and the observed .The latter is the materialistic realism or positivism ...

Materialism is so full of intrinsic inescapable contradictions : here is a sample , so to speak :

The materialistic MW theory that allegedly can account for the interpretation of quantum theory or for its measurement problem says that the observer and the observed are inseparable : consciousness of the observer makes part of the physical reality : there is no separability thus , as there are many worlds or realities .

On the other hand , materialism also says that there is what can be called the observed objective external reality out there that's allegedly independent or separated from the observer ,at the macroscopic level at least , which means there is separability or locality ,and there is reality as such .

Compare between the above 2 : the materialist MW theory says there is no  separability between  the  observer and between the observed ,since they all make part of the same physical universe , and there are many realities as well , which some say is equal to no reality .

On the other hand , at the macroscopic level, materialism says almost the opposite : there is separability ,as well as 1 reality : that of the physical universe .

If anything, materialism is more inclusive because in that view, everything is made of the same stuff,and is subject to the same physical laws.

Everything ? Sure about that ? What makes you think that everything is made up of atoms ? lol ,consciousness ,for example, is not .

You're the one making a special case for consciousness and  separating it from the rest of the physical world.

See above : consciousness is non-physical ,and hence cannot make part of the physical universe , it even shapes it .It's almost all mind : Bell's theorem and its related experiments which were done by Bell, Aspect , Clauser , Freedman and others have proved that the so-called properties of particles might be just in the mind of the observer (not real ) ,since there is no separability between the observed objects and between the mind of the observer : there might be no external objective reality out there that can be independent of the mind of the observer .

In other words :

As that posted quote to our physicist alancalverd shows : Bell's theorem proves clearly the observer effect at the quantum level, by proving Bohr to be right ,and Einstein to be wrong on both accounts : on the subject of reality and separability  .

All that materialism denies is that subject experience is the same reality. If my thermostat in my house is broken, there is a not another reality in which my house is actually warm. The thermostat is just wrong. If my thermostat cannot detects sound waves, that doesn't mean they aren't there. Likewise our subject experience, what aspects of reality we can detect, has limitations. What is so confusing to you about that?

Bell's theorem and its related experiments have shown that there is no separability or locality , in the sense that the whole universe is interconnected ,so "spooky action at a distance " does occur : distant objects or minds do affect each other ,as there is no reality as such : it's almost all mind .

Offline DonQuichotte

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
alancalverd :

Quote :

"According to Bell:

In his arguments with Bohr, Einstein was wrong in all the details.
Bohr understood the actual manipulation of quantum mechanics much better than Einstein. But still, in his philosophy of physics and his idea of what it is all about and what we are doing and should do, Einstein seems to be absolutely admirable. . . . [T]here is no doubt that he is, for me, the model of how one should think about physics." End Quote from "Quantum Enigma ..." :

Even though Einstein was wrong about separability and reality , he nevertheless was somehow right about the philosophy of physics ,which means that science in general cannot do without philosophy of science . Philosophy is not   dead as Hawking said .On the contrary , it is necessary to science and to its progress ...

" In the beginning there were only probabilities. The universe could only come into existence if someone observed it. It does not matter that the observers turned up several billion years later. The universe exists because we are aware of it."

— Martin Rees

That might have answered your earlier question about consciousness and the observed universe .

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length