The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Is there a 14-year periodicity in UFO events?  (Read 1784 times)

Offline Expectant_Philosopher

• View Profile
Is there a 14-year periodicity in UFO events?
« on: 03/10/2014 23:12:22 »
Even though I accept we work with imperfect data concerning sightings of UFOs, certain sightings seem to be more believable than others, just by the nature of the eyewitness accounts.  The Westall account in Australia in 1966, the Rendlesham Forest sighting in 1980, the Ariel School sighting in Ruwa, Zimbabwe in 1994.  Each of these major eyewitness sightings were separated by fourteen years.  If we say the periodicity is the round trip time for the UFO to get home, then the one way time is seven years.  What speed should we assign those seven years?  Do we say they travel at the speed of light then our radius is seven light years, if we assign a transit velocity of half the speed of light then we should search 3.5 light years from us for habitable planets.  So where is the motivation here for exploration and how is the effort being applied? If we discovered a distant planet we knew to be inhabited by sentient life, we would have many interests competing to send ships to explore and/or exploit the foundlings.  I could imagine that the varying interests would have at their means different technologies and different practices with regard to the alien species, and perhaps reach a sharing agreement amongst themselves on when they will visit.  So perhaps in 14-year cycles aliens come here to explore and exploit us, with different groups within different 14-year groups. Sort of like the different swarm groups of cicadas, coming to higher period of activity after long years time of relatively little activity.  So only one type of vessel or species of alien shows up once every fourteen years.  For our current year we should look back to credible events from 1958, 1972, and 2000 to determine the type of vessel, type of alien we would expect to see this year.

Offline alancalverd

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • life is too short to drink instant coffee
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a 14-year periodicity in UFO events?
« Reply #1 on: 03/10/2014 23:50:17 »
It might explain the 15 year cycle by which EU Regulations become increasingly bizarre and pointless.   

Offline jeffreyH

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • The graviton sucks
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04/10/2014 15:55:33 »
If I were a traveler from the stars in a small fleet visiting an alien world populated by around 7 billion people I would want to be very discreet about the visit. I would have technology that could render any craft undetectable and choose very carefully if and when to descend to the surface. I certainly would not put multi-coloured flashing lights all over the craft saying "Here I am. Look up here." So how do we view this evidence of encounters?

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05/10/2014 08:04:04 »
I agree with you completely on visiting aliens having both the means and the desire to conceal themselves.  The cases I mentioned in '66, '80, and '94 were however not just lights in the sky.  The cases included daylight experiences and actual alien presence.

Sure the alien tech is advanced, but not to a super extent.  They seem subject to the same physical constraints and exigencies we would have if we wanted to make a seven year voyage to another planet.  Their craft can break and crash. Their systems can fail, even systems intended to conceal themselves from witnesses.  That the possibility exists that their propulsive tech might be sub-luminal suggests that we give them too much credit for being far advanced. 

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05/10/2014 08:26:31 »
Star systems at or below 7 light years from Earth include the following, limited at 7.2 light years for the star system called WISE 0855_0714. Luhman 16 was just discovered in 2013

4.2 Proxima Centauri
4.3 Alpha Centauri
5.9 Barnard's Star
6.5 Luhman 16
7.2 Wise
« Last Edit: 05/10/2014 08:35:15 by Expectant_Philosopher »

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05/10/2014 09:15:26 »
Project Longshot to Alpha Centauri, Project Daedalus to Barnard's star, Project Icarus are all designs of prospective, proposed designs of interstellar travel to our nearest star systems.  Only what if they were more than proposals? If we can believe that our governments are actively concealing the presence of aliens, how are we sure that these projects never really got off the ground? Perhaps they did.

Perhaps the government is trying to obfuscate the aliens' knowledge of our reaction to their presence.  Working in a knowledge vacuum ourselves with regard to true intentions of alien visitors, perhaps we decided to keep secret the knowledge of our reconnaissance of their worlds, until such time as we could respond to their technology with equal force. 

The aliens' knowledge of our world has come to them freely from our over 50 years of radio and television broadcasting, perhaps unto their own SETI project.  I wonder what the aliens will think in seven years when the wealth of our broadcasts suddenly shrink with our move to digital broadcasts.  Or was that on purpose...

Offline PmbPhy

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05/10/2014 11:23:49 »
Quote from: jeffreyH
If I were a traveler from the stars in a small fleet visiting an alien world populated by around 7 billion people I would want to be very discreet about the visit. I would have technology that could render any craft undetectable and choose very carefully if and when to descend to the surface. I certainly would not put multi-coloured flashing lights all over the craft saying "Here I am. Look up here." So how do we view this evidence of encounters?
But then again, why visit the planet without contacting the intelligent life that is there?

Offline jeffreyH

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • The graviton sucks
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 05/10/2014 17:51:30 »
Quote from: jeffreyH
But then again, why visit the planet without contacting the intelligent life that is there?

How many wars do we have on tenuous pretexts between countries here on earth? I wouldn't make my presence known. Would you?

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #7 on: 05/10/2014 17:51:30 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length