The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Manuka Honey  (Read 74536 times)

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Re: Manuka Honey
« Reply #25 on: 24/09/2006 16:27:35 »
Sounds very nice! Italy that Is, I have never traveled!

Karen

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 24/09/2006 19:20:28 »
IKO.....I am so glad your time here was fun and enjoyable.

As I said in a post above...Italy was by far the best place wifey and I have been to...and I've been all over !! but Rome for driving ?...arrrggghh !!  LOL..

Yes , you must visit again...we're only a few hours away as you of course must know.

We really are blessed here in Europe...so many countries so close togtether...YAYYYY !! (though some may not agree with me :)

Karen..I am so sorry you have not travelled......have you never even travelled within the states....it's big enough !!!

Men are the same as women, just inside out !

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 24/09/2006 21:53:05 »
Very little. I went to Idaho as an 18 year old and montana as a 20 yearold for honeymoon stayed two weeks absolutely beautiful country there not much for civilation where we were way up in the sticks no electricity! very primitive and lovely untouched if you will, lots a bears!! yikes!

oklahoma texas as a 4 year old, only remember foggy night going through toll station and sitting on grandmas lap arriving and sitting on a very very prickily cactice and being bent over my moms knee for several hours whilst she removed the needles and I wailed... I thought it was a soft hairy chair, I was 4, What can I say!been to southern cal 3 times for 1 Giants baseball game on birhtday after honeymoon and then went to frisco in semi truck with hubby to deliver a load of crab to fishermans warf and slept through drive in Los Angelos. Went as far as newport oregon and grants pass a couple trips to see my sister no touring or anything except in newport to visit my friend.. I have never taken a vacation and went anywhere to speak of!! I want to really bad!! Someday!!

Karen

Offline moonfire

• Neilep Level Member
  • Can't stand the heat, step away from the fire!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.m2global.com/stormdiamonds
« Reply #28 on: 24/09/2006 22:34:20 »
quote:
Originally posted by neilep

Karen, definitely a misunderstanding that's all. IKO's English even puts mine to shame !!...

I love Italy so much ...Florence is my favourite city......where do you live IKO ?

When me and the wifey were there 13 years ago we did Rome , Florence and Venice in ten days. To this day it was the best holiday we have ever had. The Italians are a beautiful and so well turned out people...and the  ice cream!!.....oh my !!!!....you have not had ice cream till you've had Italian Ice cream in Italy !!!

Gelato...love it too Neil!!!

"Lo" Loretta

Offline moonfire

• Neilep Level Member
  • Can't stand the heat, step away from the fire!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.m2global.com/stormdiamonds
« Reply #29 on: 24/09/2006 22:35:43 »
Neil what is this honey about?  Is it a sleep aid

"Lo" Loretta

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 24/09/2006 23:19:09 »
Hi LO  (hee hee..I don't know why but saying ' Hi LO ' always makes me giggle)..

No Mam...as far as I know it's just has some incredible healing abilities, either by application on the skin or by consumption !!......hmmmmmmm...honey all over !!!!..hmmmmmm !!! *slaps own face*.....I don't think it is known as an aid to sleep !!..shame !!

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 25/09/2006 00:10:28 »
I don't know about ... HEE HEE it might work to bring on sleep if you use it the right way SIR!!Application on skin might work as long as removal is done with perfect fore thought....The end result could be beneficial to aiding in a nice deep sleep!!!!!LOL No Slapping allowed!!

Karen

Offline iko

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 04/12/2006 22:06:24 »
I found 27 citations for Manuka Honey
in PubMed database...'the right thing',
starting from 1991 and most of them quite
recent indeed. It sounds like a 'new discovery'
for western medicine. I never heard anything
about such peculiar properties and I actually
find all this 'ratherrrr' interesting.
Thank you guys!

find some hints:

Honey: a potent agent for wound healing?

Lusby PE, Coombes A, Wilkinson JM.
School of Biomedical Sciences, Charles Sturt University, Wagga Wagga, Australia.

Although honey has been used as a traditional remedy for burns and wounds, the potential for its inclusion in mainstream medical care is not well recognized. Many studies have demonstrated that honey has antibacterial activity in vitro, and a small number of clinical case studies have shown that application of honey to severely infected cutaneous wounds is capable of clearing infection from the wound and improving tissue healing. The physicochemical properties (eg, osmotic effects and pH) of honey also aid in its antibacterial actions. Research has also indicated that honey may possess antiinflammatory activity and stimulate immune responses within a wound. The overall effect is to reduce infection and to enhance wound healing in burns, ulcers, and other cutaneous wounds. It is also known that honeys derived from particular floral sources in Australia and New Zealand (Leptospermum spp) have enhanced antibacterial activity, and these honeys have been approved for marketing as therapeutic honeys (Medihoney and Active Manuka honey). This review outlines what is known about the medical properties of honey and indicates the potential for honey to be incorporated into the management of a large number of wound types.

J Wound Ostomy Continence Nurs. 2002 Nov;29(6):295-300. Review.

Manuka honey dressing: An effective treatment for chronic wound infections.

Visavadia BG, Honeysett J, Danford MH.
Maxillofacial Unit, Royal Surrey County Hospital, Egerton Road, Guildford Surrey, UK.

The battle against methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) wound infection is becoming more difficult as drug resistance is widespread and the incidence of MRSA in the community increases. Manuka honey dressing has long been available as a non-antibiotic treatment in the management of chronic wound infections. We have been using honey-impregnated dressings successfully in our wound care clinic and on the maxillofacial ward for over a year.

Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2006 Nov 17; [Epub ahead of print]

MRSA means: methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus.
             ...a really bad, bad, naughty BEAST!

I'm a bit worried, I seem to be less 'codcentrated' these days... :o

iko

« Last Edit: 06/12/2006 16:09:12 by iko »

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 04/12/2006 22:15:49 »
YAYYYY !!

IKO is great !!...does he know how well luffed he is here ?

THANK EWE for this IKO....funnily enough, I was recently thinking about this again...I still have not got round to getting some....

I would say I am one of life's great procrastinators but I'll leave it until tomorrow !!..*sorry*

Offline iko

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 04/12/2006 22:35:10 »
Hi Neilep!
How are your bitransplanted knees doing?
What do you need Manuka honey/oil for...
infection? Explosive rejection? I told you
that it was a cheap clinic and that
Mr. Whoknowswhat not such a top-notch...professional!

Free radical production and quenching in honeys with wound healing potential.

Henriques A, Jackson S, Cooper R, Burton N.
School of Applied Sciences, University of Wales Institute Cardiff Llandaf Campus, Western Avenue, Cardiff CF5 2YB, UK.

OBJECTIVES: Honey-impregnated wound dressings are now available on drug tariff in the UK, though the modes of action of honeys with antibacterial and wound healing properties are not entirely clear. The action of some but not all of these honeys is linked to the production of hydrogen peroxide on dilution of the honey with wound exudate. The present study investigates both free radical production and the antioxidant potential of some honeys, properties which may have a role to play in wound healing.
METHODS: Free radical production and quenching of three honey types (manuka, antibacterial but non-peroxide-producing; pasture, antibacterial peroxide-producing; commercial heat processed, non-antibacterial) was investigated by electron paramagnetic resonance (EPR) spectroscopy; quenching was also examined using a superoxide quenching assay.
RESULTS: All honeys tested had antioxidant potential, with manuka able to completely quench added radicals within 5 min of spiking. Only the peroxide-producing honey (pasture PS9) was found to form radicals on dilution.
CONCLUSIONS: The ability to modulate production and quenching of free radicals may contribute to the demonstrated ability of some honeys to help in resolving the state of inflammation typifying chronic wounds.

J Antimicrob Chemother. 2006 Oct;58(4):773-7.

http://www.purplesapphire.com/products/613/e5d96_1.jpg

...smashing beauty from a search for 'Manuka honey' on Google Images! ;)
« Last Edit: 07/12/2006 10:04:42 by iko »

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 04/12/2006 22:48:13 »
Hi Neilep!
How are your bitransplanted knees doing?
What do you need Manuka honey/oil for...
infection? Explosive rejection? I told you
that it was a cheap clinic and that
Mr. Whoknowswhat not such top-notch...professional!

Free radical production and quenching in honeys with wound healing potential.

Henriques A, Jackson S, Cooper R, Burton N.
School of Applied Sciences, University of Wales Institute Cardiff Llandaf Campus, Western Avenue, Cardiff CF5 2YB, UK.

OBJECTIVES: Honey-impregnated wound dressings are now available on drug tariff in the UK, though the modes of action of honeys with antibacterial and wound healing properties are not entirely clear. The action of some but not all of these honeys is linked to the production of hydrogen peroxide on dilution of the honey with wound exudate. The present study investigates both free radical production and the antioxidant potential of some honeys, properties which may have a role to play in wound healing.
METHODS: Free radical production and quenching of three honey types (manuka, antibacterial but non-peroxide-producing; pasture, antibacterial peroxide-producing; commercial heat processed, non-antibacterial) was investigated by electron paramagnetic resonance (EPR) spectroscopy; quenching was also examined using a superoxide quenching assay.
RESULTS: All honeys tested had antioxidant potential, with manuka able to completely quench added radicals within 5 min of spiking. Only the peroxide-producing honey (pasture PS9) was found to form radicals on dilution.
CONCLUSIONS: The ability to modulate production and quenching of free radicals may contribute to the demonstrated ability of some honeys to help in resolving the state of inflammation typifying chronic wounds.

J Antimicrob Chemother. 2006 Oct;58(4):773-7.

http://www.purplesapphire.com/products/613/e5d96_1.jpg

...from a search for 'Manuka honey' on Google Images! ;)

Hello Mr Iko Sir,

THANK EWE for asking about my knee !!..it is still sore !!..but oNLY when I lean on it..it feels like it's on fire !!..but it is a whole lot better than before thank you.

I was just interested in manuka as perhaps a supplement to take like my cod liver oil and garlic pills. I don't really have an ailment that requires it.

HUGS the IKO (even if he does smell of Cod !!.. ;D ;) ;))..Thank you for the Manuka information .

Offline iko

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Manuka Honey
« Reply #36 on: 11/06/2007 23:06:46 »

Bactericidal Activity of Different Types of Honey
against Clinical and Environmental Isolates of Pseudomonas aeruginosa.

Mullai V, Menon T.Department of Microbiology, Dr. ALM Post Graduate Institute of Basic Medical Sciences, University of Madras, Taramani, Chen- nai, India.

Objectives: Honey has had a valued place in traditional medicine for centuries. Renewed interest in honey for various therapeutic purposes, including treatment of infected wounds, has led to the search for different types of honey with antibacterial activity. In this study, we have assessed the antibacterial activity of different types of honey (manuka honey from Australia, heather honey from the United Kingdom, and locally marketed Indian honey).
Methods: The agar dilution method was used to assess the antibacterial activity of honey against 152 isolates of Pseudomonas aeruginosa by determining minimum inhibitory concentrations.
Results and conclusions: The locally available (khadikraft) honey produced the best activity against Pseudomonas aeruginosa and was found to be better than all of the imported varieties of therapeutic honey.

J Altern Complement Med. 2007 May;13(4):439-42.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Manuka Honey
« Reply #37 on: 12/06/2007 03:35:51 »
Thanks Iko..Is this Honey local to you or the makers of the article? I am Assuming Local to India!

Offline iko

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Manuka Honey
« Reply #38 on: 12/06/2007 08:29:59 »
Hi Karen,

Yes, it must be indian honey.

ikod
« Last Edit: 19/06/2007 15:11:18 by iko »

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Manuka Honey
« Reply #39 on: 12/06/2007 08:58:00 »
Hey Iko, Thanks I thought that was what it was..

I know there must be some health benefit somewhere, but I am not sure I want to go grab a bunch of it and start using it! LOL Maybe some of the things look interesting... Benefits would be great!
« Last Edit: 12/06/2007 09:00:02 by Karen W. »

Offline iko

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Manuka Honey
« Reply #40 on: 14/06/2007 15:11:19 »
Hey Iko, Thanks I thought that was what it was..

I know there must be some health benefit somewhere, but I am not sure I want to go grab a bunch of it and start using it! LOL Maybe some of the things look interesting... Benefits would be great!

Talking about nutrition supplements.
Better stay more CODcentrated and leave Manuka Honey to infected wounds...that we hopefully won't ever get!
Cheers,

ikod
« Last Edit: 14/06/2007 15:13:49 by iko »

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Manuka Honey
« Reply #41 on: 14/06/2007 18:24:15 »
 LOL!! I try to stay more CODcentrated..LOL ..That poultice my gram used to make was for open wounds etc.  So I know you must be right! LOL.. I need to find that recipe.. I know it worked because she used it on us many times as a child!

Offline LBR

• First timers
    • View Profile
Manuka Honey
« Reply #42 on: 10/07/2007 14:28:06 »
I had a serious infection on my lower leg that nothing seemed to help. I took Manuka Honey,mixed with Cayenne, smeared that on a large band-aid. It took less than two weeks for the infection to completely heal. A doctor friend says that he frequetly uses table sugar on problem infections.

Offline iko

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Manuka Honey
« Reply #43 on: 10/07/2007 14:37:02 »
I had a serious infection on my lower leg that nothing seemed to help. I took Manuka Honey,mixed with Cayenne, smeared that on a large band-aid. It took less than two weeks for the infection to completely heal. A doctor friend says that he frequetly uses table sugar on problem infections.

You did well with Manouka honey and you are certainly right about table sugar: it is highly concentrated and toxic for bacteria and fungi.  No mold grows on it, in fact.
Cheers,

ikod
« Last Edit: 22/07/2007 10:45:58 by iko »

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Manuka Honey
« Reply #44 on: 10/07/2007 14:52:41 »
 That is really cool. I am glad to finally have someone actually try it! and know it worked!

Offline iko

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Manuka Honey
« Reply #45 on: 22/07/2007 11:05:45 »
Some doctors use this natural remedy
on a routine basis and share positive
experience reporting their data:

Manuka honey dressing: An effective treatment for chronic wound infections

Maxillofacial Unit, Royal Surrey County Hospital, Egerton Road, Guildford Surrey, UK.

The battle against methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) wound infection is becoming more difficult as drug resistance is widespread and the incidence of MRSA in the community increases. Manuka honey dressing has long been available as a non-antibiotic treatment in the management of chronic wound infections. We have been using honey-impregnated dressings successfully in our wound care clinic and on the maxillofacial ward for over a year.

Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2006 Nov 17;

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Manuka Honey
« Reply #46 on: 23/07/2007 22:21:44 »
Some doctors use this natural remedy
on a routine basis and share positive
experience reporting their data:

Manuka honey dressing: An effective treatment for chronic wound infections

Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2006 Nov 17;

That is very cool! I like the old remedies also!

Offline iko

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Manuka Honey
« Reply #47 on: 16/08/2007 16:15:22 »
Manuka news:
shedding new light on the immune mechanisms that promote healing of chronically infected wounds...it should be free full-text!

http://www.jleukbio.org/cgi/rapidpdf/jlb.1106683v1

A 5.8-kDa component of manuka honey stimulates immune cells via TLR4.

Tonks AJ, Dudley E, Porter NG, Parton J, Brazier J, Smith EL, Tonks A.
Departments of *Medical Microbiology and Haematology, Cardiff University, Cardiff, United Kingdom; Biochemistry Research Group, School of Biological Sciences, School of Environment and Society, University of Wales Swansea, United Kingdom; and Crop and Food Research Ltd., Christchurch, New Zealand.

Honey is used as a therapy to aid wound healing.
Previous data indicate that honey can stimulate cytokine production from human monocytes. The present study further examines this phenomenon in manuka honey. As inflammatory cytokine production in innate immune cells is classically mediated by pattern recognition receptors in response to microorganisms, bacterial contamination of honey and the effect of blocking TLR2 and -4 on stimulatory activity were assessed. No vegetative bacteria were isolated from honey; however, bacterial spores were cultured from one-third of samples, and low levels of LPS were detected. Blocking TLR4 but not TLR2 inhibited honey-stimulated cytokine production significantly. Cytokine production did not correlate with LPS levels in honey and was not inhibited by polymyxin B. Further, the activity was reduced significantly following heat treatment, indicating that component(s) other than LPS are responsible for the stimulatory activity of manuka honey. To identify the component responsible for inducing cytokine production, honey was separated by molecular weight using microcon centrifugal filtration and fractions assessed for stimulatory activity. The active fraction was analyzed by MALDI-TOF mass spectroscopy, which demonstrated the presence of a number of components of varying molecular weights. Additional fractionation using miniaturized, reverse-phase solid-phase extraction resulted in the isolation of a 5.8-kDa component, which stimulated production of TNF-alpha via TLR4. These findings reveal mechanisms and components involved in honey stimulation of cytokine induction and could potentially lead to the development of novel therapeutics to improve wound healing for patients with acute and chronic wounds.

J Leukoc Biol. 2007 Aug 3; [Epub ahead of print]

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Manuka Honey
« Reply #48 on: 16/08/2007 16:46:05 »
Iko That is really cool. Sounds like a promising study!

Offline iko

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Manuka Honey
« Reply #49 on: 16/08/2007 18:27:19 »
Iko That is really cool. Sounds like a promising study!

Yes Karen,
and it is reaallly 'fresh news'!
It's fun to update such an old 'rediscovered' issue.
It made 5k viewers and I have to thank Neil and you
for starting this thread.
Take care

ikoD

The Naked Scientists Forum

Manuka Honey
« Reply #49 on: 16/08/2007 18:27:19 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length