The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Who was the person who use this diagram to show the curvature spacetime ???  (Read 1657 times)

Offline parakorn

• View Profile

I know that Einstein General relativity show the  space time curvature caused by the matter. But  I never see Einstein refer the space time curvature by use this diagram ( the trampolin and bowling )diagram. In many of his paper in GR I see  he refer the space time curvature by the variation of the coordinate system like in his book for normal people [nofollow]  He used the variation of the coordinate to explained his idea. Does this diagram was first used by the contemporary physics because I never see that Einstein used this diagram.

Offline yor_on

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • (Ah, yes:) *a table is always good to hide under*
    • View Profile
It's a simplification from the idea of the vacuum as a rubber-mat, 'gravity' acting on it. Don't know who used it first.

Offline PmbPhy

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
I don't know but those diagrams don't show the curvature of spacetime. They illustrate the nature of space. That's an embedding diagram and they're misused all too often. They are notoriously misleading. Please see this article for a full explanation.

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums