The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Oregano Oil  (Read 80629 times)

Offline iko

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Oregano Oil
« Reply #25 on: 19/01/2007 19:00:43 »
Which are the main chemical
components in oregano oil?

Analysis on the volatile oil in Origanum vulgare
[Article in Chinese]

Tian H, Lai DM.
Guangxi College of TCM, Nanning 530001, China.

OBJECTIVE:
To analysis compositions of the volatile oil in Origanum vulgare.
METHODS:
GC-MS condition: using programmed temperature gas chromatography cinitial temperature was 60 degrees C, and then raising the temperature (5 degrees C/min) to 240 degrees C, mass-to-electric charge ratio was 10 to 425.
RESULTS:
GC-MS identified 29 kinds of contents.

CONCLUSION: Thymol and carvacrol are main compositions of the volatile oil in Origanum vulgare.

Zhong Yao Cai. 2006 Sep;29(9):920-1.

« Last Edit: 27/01/2007 16:25:32 by iko »

Offline iko

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Oregano Oil
« Reply #26 on: 19/01/2007 22:54:24 »
A good reading for the Oregano Oil fanatics Club...
Never forget that applications in agriculture may
come much before a specific medical interest:

click here to read:   http://www.ecopharm.gr/R_c_oil.html
« Last Edit: 19/02/2007 22:41:48 by iko »

Offline iko

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Oregano Oil
« Reply #27 on: 11/06/2007 23:02:17 »

Susceptibility of methicillin-resistant staphylococci to oregano essential oil, carvacrol and thymol.

Nostro A, Blanco AR, Cannatelli MA, Enea V, Flamini G, Morelli I, Sudano Roccaro A, Alonzo V.Dipartimento Farmaco-Biologico, Sezione Microbiologia, Facoltà di Farmacia, Università di Messina, Villaggio Annunziata, 98168 Messina, Italy. atnostro@pharma.unime.it

The aim of this study was to evaluate the susceptibility of methicillin-susceptible and methicillin-resistant staphylococci (MSS, MRS) to oregano essential oil, carvacrol and thymol.
The commercial aerial parts of Origanum vulgare L. were hydrodistilled and the essential oil analysed by gas- chromatography/electron impact mass spectrometry. The inhibition efficacy of this essence and its major components was assayed against 26 MSS and 21 MRS, using an agar dilution method. The methicillin resistance was thoroughly typed by Epsilometer test (E-test), polymerase chain reaction for mecA gene detection and PBP2' latex agglutination test. The results clearly demonstrated that the comparison between the susceptibility of MSS and MRS to oregano oil, carvacrol and thymol showed no significant differences (Fisher's exact test, P > 0.05). The best minimum inhibitory concentration values were reported for carvacrol (0.015-0.03%, v/v) followed by thymol (0.03-0.06%, v/v) and oregano oil (0.06-0.125%, v/v).

FEMS Microbiol Lett. 2004 Jan 30;230(2):191-5.

« Last Edit: 22/07/2007 10:48:24 by iko »

Offline iko

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Oregano Oil
« Reply #28 on: 22/07/2007 10:59:10 »
A 'new' antioxidant effect from oregano
aqueous extract (tea!) and beneficial
effects on humans?  A study from Europe (Croatia).
You never know.  ;)

The effects of essential oils and aqueous tea infusions of oregano
(Origanum vulgare L. spp. hirtum), thyme (Thymus vulgaris L.) and wild thyme (Thymus serpyllum L.)
on the copper-induced oxidation of human low-density lipoproteins.

Kulisić T, Krisko A, Dragović-Uzelac V, Milos M, Pifat G.
Department of Biochemistry and Food Chemistry, Faculty of Chemical Technology, University of Split, Croatia. tea@ktf-split.hr

In this study, the antioxidative capacity effect of essential oils and aqueous tea infusions obtained from oregano, thyme and wild thyme on the oxidation susceptibility of low-density lipoproteins (LDL) has been studied. The results indicate a dose-dependent protective effect of the tested essential oils and aqueous tea infusions on the copper-induced LDL oxidation. The protective effect of essential oils is assigned to the presence of phenolic monoterpenes, thymol and carvacrol, which are identified as the dominant compounds in these essential oils. The strong protective effect of aqueous tea infusions is proposed to be the consequence of large amounts of polyphenols, namely rosmarinic acid and flavonoids (quercetin, eriocitrin, luteolin-7-O-glucoside, apigenin-7-O-glucoside, luteolin, apigenin), with the most pronounced effect in the case of oregano. These findings may have implications for the effect of these compounds on LDL in vivo.

Int J Food Sci Nutr. 2007 Mar;58(2):87-93.

« Last Edit: 23/07/2007 07:51:20 by iko »

Offline iko

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Oregano Oil
« Reply #29 on: 16/08/2007 22:06:48 »
Origano is safe and cheap for food packaging:

Combination of analytical and microbiological techniques to study the antimicrobial activity
 of a new active food packaging containing cinnamon or oregano against E. coli and S. aureus.

Becerril R, Gómez-Lus R, Goñi P, López P, Nerín C.Lab Microbiología, Facultad de Medicina, Universidad de Zaragoza, c/Domingo Miral s/n, Zaragoza, Spain.

The aim of this work is the optimization and application of a group of analytical and microbiological techniques in the study of the activity of essential oils (EOs) incorporated in a new antimicrobial packaging material and the research in depth of the interaction between the microbial cells and the individual compounds present in the active material. For this purpose the antimicrobial activity of the active packaging containing cinnamon or oregano was evaluated against E. coli and S. aureus. The vapour phase activity and the direct contact between the antimicrobial agents themselves, or once incorporated in the packaging material, and the microbial cells have been studied. The direct contact was studied using a broth dilution method. The vapour phase was evaluated by using a new method which involves the use of a filter disk containing the EOs. Furthermore, the kill time assay was used to determine the exposure time for the maximum efficiency in packaging, and transmission electron microscopy was used to investigate the antimicrobial activity and the possible mechanism of action against E. coli and S. aureus. Finally, the compounds absorbed by cells were identified. The results showed that the techniques used provide relevant information about the antibacterial activity of cinnamon and oregano in direct contact as well as in the vapour phase.
The antimicrobial packaging showed a fast efficiency which supports its likely application as a food packaging material. Bacteria treated with EOs exhibit a wide range of significant abnormalities; these include formation of blebs, coagulation of cytoplasmatic constituents, collapse of the cell structure and lack of cytoplasmatic material. Some of these observations are correlated to the ability of some of these substances to disrupt envelop structure, especially the inner membrane. After an extraction from dead cells, cinnamaldehyde was detected by GC-MS in E. coli exposed to the active packaging containing cinnamon.

Anal Bioanal Chem. 2007 Jul;388(5-6):1003-11. Epub 2007 Jun 6.

« Last Edit: 16/08/2007 22:12:19 by iko »

Offline Gurugirl

• First timers
    • View Profile
Oregano Oil
« Reply #30 on: 27/08/2007 11:29:07 »
I read this thread with great interest, renewed actually.  I bought oregano oil awhile back when searching for a cure for my acne ..... I just tried to find my bottle with no luck (darn it) as I'd like to try it again for some other things you mentioned (in particular a 3-week headache).  I took drops in water for acne but I couldn't tolerate the taste.  I never thought of using it in my facial cleanser.  I now will have to buy more and give it a try.  Thanks for all the info! 8)

Offline iko

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Oregano Oil
« Reply #31 on: 27/08/2007 11:53:58 »
Hi Gurugirl,

I don't know if acne is an indication to give oregano oil a try.
Actually I'm pretty sure it is NOT. You better think again!
If you could not tolerate it orally, you might have heavy contact dermatitis by applying an unproper dilution to your skin.
Read more and get better informed: this seems to be powerful stuff, even in terms of negative side effects.
There are plenty of remedies for acne, please use the 'search' option in this forum to find many threads and possible alternative treatments.
Take care

ikod
« Last Edit: 27/08/2007 12:12:57 by iko »

Offline iko

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Oregano Oil
« Reply #32 on: 27/08/2007 12:07:55 »
...why not giving
'Liquid Sunshine'
a try?

;)

Vitamin D and the skin: an ancient friend, revisited.

Reichrath J.
Klinik für Dermatologie, Venerologie und Allergologie, Universitätsklinikum des Saarlandes, Homburg/Saar, Germany. hajrei@uniklinik-saarland.de

Most vertebrates need vitamin D to develop and maintain a healthy mineralized skeleton. However, 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3 [1,25(OH)(2)D(3)], the biologically active vitamin D metabolite, exerts a multitude of important physiological effects independent from the regulation of calcium and bone metabolism. We know today that the skin has a unique role in the human body's vitamin D endocrine system. It is the only site of vitamin D photosynthesis, and has therefore a central role in obtaining a sufficient vitamin D status. Additionally, the skin has the capacity to synthesize the biologically active vitamin D metabolite 1,25(OH)(2)D(3), and represents an important target tissue for 1,25(OH)(2)D(3). In keratinocytes and other cell types, 1,25(OH)(2)D(3) regulates growth and differentiation. Consequently, vitamin D analogues have been introduced for the treatment of the hyperproliferative skin disease psoriasis. Recently, sebocytes were identified as 1,25(OH)(2)D(3)-responsive target cells, indicating that vitamin D analogues may be effective in the treatment of acne. Other new functions of vitamin D analogues include profound effects on the immune system as well as in various tissues protection against cancer and other diseases, including autoimmune and infectious diseases. It can be speculated that the investigation of biological effects of vitamin D analogues will lead to new therapeutic applications that, besides cancer prevention, may include the prevention and treatment of infectious as well as of inflammatory skin diseases. Additionally, it can be assumed that dermatological recommendations on sun protection and health campaigns for skin cancer prevention will have to be re-evaluated to guarantee a sufficient vitamin D status.

Exp Dermatol. 2007 Jul;16(7):618-25.

« Last Edit: 27/08/2007 12:10:25 by iko »

Offline iko

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Oregano Oil
« Reply #33 on: 20/12/2007 08:47:55 »
Oregano essential oil:
talking about 'natural' additives!

Combined effect of oregano essential oil and modified atmosphere packaging
on shelf-life extension of fresh chicken breast meat, stored at 4 degrees C.

Chouliara E, Karatapanis A, Savvaidis IN, Kontominas MG.
Laboratory of Food Chemistry and Food Microbiology, Department of Chemistry, University of Ioannina, Ioannina 45110, Greece.

The combined effect of oregano essential oil (0.1% and 1% w/w) and modified atmosphere packaging (MAP) (30% CO2/70% N2 and 70% CO2/30% N2) on shelf-life extension of fresh chicken meat stored at 4 degrees C was investigated. The parameters that were monitored were: microbiological (TVC, Pseudomonas spp., lactic acid bacteria (LAB), yeasts, Brochothrix thermosphacta and Enterobacteriaceae), physico-chemical (pH, TBA, color) and sensory (odor and taste) attributes. Microbial populations were reduced by 1-5 log cfu/g for a given sampling day, with the more pronounced effect being achieved by the combination of MAP and oregano essential oil. TBA values for all treatments remained lower than 1 mg malondialdehyde (MDA) kg(-1) throughout the 25-day storage period. pH values varied between 6.4 (day 0) and 5.9 (day 25). The values of the color parameters L*, a* and b* were not considerably affected by oregano oil or by MAP. Finally, sensory analysis showed that oregano oil at a concentration of 1% imparted a very strong taste to the product for which reason these lots of samples were not scored.
On the basis of sensory evaluation a shelf-life extension of breast chicken meat by ca. 3-4 days for samples containing 0.1% oregano oil, 2-3 days for samples under MAP and 5-6 days for samples under MAP containing 0.1% of oregano oil was attained. Thus oregano oil and MAP exhibited an additive preservation effect.

Food Microbiol. 2007 Sep;24(6):607-17. Epub 2007 Jan 12.

« Last Edit: 20/12/2007 17:54:57 by iko »

Offline iko

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Oregano Oil
« Reply #34 on: 28/01/2008 15:16:38 »
...and 'natural' preservative for our food:

Application of Origanum majorana L. essential oil as an antimicrobial agent in sausage.

Busatta C, Vidal RS, Popiolski AS, Mossi AJ, Dariva C, Rodrigues MR, Corazza FC, Corazza ML, Vladimir Oliveira J, Cansian RL.Department of Food Engineering, URI-Campus de Erechim, Av. Sete de Setembro 1621, CEP 99700-000, Erechim, RS, Brazil.

This work reports on the antimicrobial activity in fresh sausage of marjoram (Origanum majorana L.) essential oil against several species of bacteria. The in vitro minimum inhibitory concentration (MIC) was determined for 10 selected aerobic heterotrophic bacterial species. The antimicrobial activity of distinct concentrations of the essential oil based on the highest MIC value was tested in a food system comprising fresh sausage. Batch food samples were also inoculated with a fixed concentration of Escherichia coli and the time course of the product was evaluated with respect to the action of the different concentrations of essential oil. Results showed that addition of marjoram essential oil to fresh sausage exerted a bacteriostatic effect at oil concentrations lower than the MIC, while a bactericidal effect was observed at higher oil concentrations which also caused alterations in the taste of the product.

Food Microbiol. 2008 Feb;25(1):207-11. Epub 2007 Jul 28.

« Last Edit: 28/01/2008 15:21:40 by iko »

Offline iko

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Oregano Oil
« Reply #35 on: 18/01/2010 23:03:16 »
Wow!!!   :)

The apoptotic and anti-proliferative activity of Origanum majorana extracts on human leukemic cell line.

Abdel-Massih RM, Fares R, Bazzi S, El-Chami N, Baydoun E.

Department of Biology, University of Balamand, Al-Koura, Lebanon.

Scientists are constantly searching for phytochemicals and compounds with anti-cancer and antioxidant activity. In this study, the anti-proliferative activity of plant extracts from Origanum majorana (marjoram) was tested on human lymphoblastic leukemia cell line Jurkat. Cytotoxicity was examined using non-radioactive cytotoxicity assay and the IC(50) was calculated. At non-cytotoxic concentrations, the viability of cells decreased with increase of concentration of plant extract. The anti-proliferative effect was also found to be dose-dependent. Analysis via flow cytometry shows that marjoram extracts stimulated apoptosis. Induction of apoptosis was caused by an up-regulation of p53 protein levels and down-regulation of Bcl-2alpha. Marjoram exhibited a strong scavenging activity (SC(50)=0.03mg dry weight). The conclusions from this study suggest that marjoram extracts exhibit anti-proliferative effect and high antioxidant activity. For that it merits further investigation as a potential therapeutic agent.

Leuk Res. 2009 Oct 22. [Epub ahead of print]

Offline kilgorethecat

• College Student.
    • View Profile
Oregano Oil
« Reply #36 on: 05/03/2010 08:57:00 »
I used to take wild, dried oregano in capsules along with grapefruit seed extract in orange juice for toothaches when I was younger.  Never had to take an antibiotic again, and the dentist was amazed that my cavities "disappeared."

Offline iko

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Oregano Oil
« Reply #37 on: 05/03/2010 14:04:13 »
Hi kilgorethecat,

Thanks for your contribution!
I just found plenty of 'stuff' in the oregano-cavities connection...
We might see more in the future, even from official research. Maybe.

ikod

Offline kilgorethecat

• College Student.
    • View Profile
Oregano Oil
« Reply #38 on: 07/03/2010 13:09:56 »
From personal experience I find it to be useful, but I also took it in conjunction with GSE.  I cannot be sure which may have helped the most.

Offline kilgorethecat

• College Student.
    • View Profile
Oregano Oil
« Reply #39 on: 07/03/2010 13:23:00 »
Also, whoever wrote that may want to consider "dumbing it down" a bit less...

"Furthermore, due to the number of compounds within Oregano Oil, its
“complexity” does not allow for the development of resistant germs (a.k.a.
“super bugs”)."

Oregano Oil's "complexity" of multiple "compounds" probably has a lot in "common" with "toxins" that have multiple "compounds" that do not "allow" resistant germs to "develop." 

COME ON.  Super Bugs??? 

Offline Jerome

• First timers
  • Simplicity Is The Supreme Excellence
    • View Profile
Oregano Oil
« Reply #40 on: 10/07/2011 18:51:53 »
Hi Carolyn!

Jerome here - Are you still reading these responses from this topic you started? Sure hope so - Great subject!!

I have a question in regard to your mom - How did your mom mix the H2orega? In her nebulizer cup did she mix it in distilled or spring water? How many drops of H2orega to how many drops of water?

I too, like millions of people, am dealing with COPD using alternative methods along with alopathic prescriptions. I have been nebulizing 3% H2O2 with some sucess and what your mother did sounds good.

THANKS!!  Jerome

Offline Jerome

• First timers
    • View Profile
Oregano Oil
« Reply #41 on: 24/07/2011 20:32:37 »
Well, OK, I bought the H2orega and have been using it for a week and I do feel a difference in my breathing and more reduction of mucus build up.

Oregano oil is strong so, I put 40 drops of store bought 3% H2O2 in my nebuliser cup and added 1 drop of H2orega. I mixed it up good and transferred it into a clean dropper bottle. Then I put 20 drops of 3% H2O2 in my nebuliser cup and added 10 drops of what I had mixed and put in the dropper bottle. I do 3 - 3 mn treatments a day with this. This diluted solution seems to be working good for me. I feel that with oregano oil - a little goes a long way, may be slower results but I have to start somewhere.

I also use a product called Oralmax drops. This stuff is amazing! It greatly reduces the mucus build up and helps me breath better. It also helps gain more energy and addresses other issues.

I get these products from seacoast vitamins dot com because I have been a customer for over a year. I have tried a lot of things in the last year to cure COPD and these 2 products have given me the best and fastest results. In just 2 weeks I have cut my Pro Air use in half, I wake up in the morning with minimum mucus build up, I have more energy and I am doing more because I am breathing better. Before I started on these 2 products I was losing ground. Mucus build up in the morning took me an hour to get breathing good enough to do the basics - now I get the most done in the morning!

My short term goal is to breath so good that I no longer need prescription breathing meds and with the results I am now getting that should happen real soon!   

Offline Bored chemist

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Oregano Oil
« Reply #42 on: 25/07/2011 15:50:36 »
Plenty of the compounds that Wiki lists as components of oregano oil are alkenes which will react with hydrogen peroxide to form epoxides. At least one of those (limonene oxide) is a known sensitiser.
If you already have breathing problems you might want to rethink this procedure.

Offline Jerome

• First timers
    • View Profile
Oregano Oil
« Reply #43 on: 25/07/2011 16:04:47 »
Thanks Chemist!

You are right. I felt a heaviness in my lungs the first time I tried this so the next time I used water and could feel the difference so I have been doing that. There is no doubt that so far my results have been good.

Thanks for your input!!  Jerome

Offline Airthumbs

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
Oregano Oil
« Reply #44 on: 25/07/2011 18:07:18 »
If this works as well as some people say it does then it could be the new Lorenzo's Oil.....

The Naked Scientists Forum

Oregano Oil
« Reply #44 on: 25/07/2011 18:07:18 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length