The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Turn the World Off!  (Read 5850 times)

Offline Amos

• First timers
    • View Profile
Turn the World Off!
« on: 11/09/2006 03:44:10 »
When the world is relatively quiet, I could swear that I hear electricity. Even when the screen on my TV is black, I hear a high frequency pitch that tells me it's still on. And, when I look closer, I see that I'm right and turn it straight off. I've never been wrong.This high pitch ring can also be heard when small devices are charging, like cell phones and iPods. Am I going crazy? I suppose the answer has something to do with currents, wavelengths, and thus frequencies and pitches ... but I'd like to be more precise if I'm going to live the rest of my life with a ringing in my ears.

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
Re: Turn the World Off!
« Reply #1 on: 11/09/2006 04:13:01 »
Yes...you are going crazy !!

NO.NO NO you're not !!!!

YOU are most definitely not going crazy Amos, not in the slightest....Well, not form hearing high pitches anyway !....(Oh WELCOME by the way)...

.......I hear them too....all the bloody time.... I can hear it when my PDA is charging.....or my mobile phone....I can hear it when my fluorescent light is on.

Not everyone can hear it.....To me it's clearly audible on my PDA and when showing to one person I know he could not hear it at all.....

Perhaps you are very very sensitive, and if it truly bothers you so much, then I imagine it's a straight forward affair to get your ears tested.    

How about when you are away from any electrical fields or gadgets ?.....Very tricky nowadays but seriously.....either go down the bottom of your garden at night or in the middle of a field, make sure you're away from any electricity post/pylons etc...you need to isolate yourself...

I'm just trying to determine if you have a mild case of Tinnitus http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tinnitus

Let us know, but wait to see what others say too....Good Luck

Men are the same as women, just inside out !

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11/09/2006 08:17:36 »
The answer is very simple, when your TV is on standby the Chopper type power supply is still running to supply power to the remote control receiver.
These P.S.U run at 15.625 Kz and due to magnostriction effects in the cores of the transformers that they use generate sound at this frequency which young people can hear.
Small P.S.U for phone chargers etc use a similar system

syhprum

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11/09/2006 08:31:41 »
Fluorescent lights are different they normally have no chopper type P.S.U but the normal 50 Hz mains supply vibrates the transformer core and although 50 Hz is not very audible its harmonics are also generated which fall in the more sensitive range of our hearing

PPS

The latest T.V's due not run the chopper type P.S.U while on standby but in order not to exceed the 2 watt environmental limit incorporate an small 50 Hz transformer to provide standby power.

syhprum

syhprum

Offline lightarrow

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11/09/2006 12:21:06 »
Exactly, syhprum.
For this reason, it's often said to switch off all the main swithces of electric-electronic apparatus (example, TV, computers, ecc.) when it's possible, in order to save electric energy.

About Tinnitus, last Saturday, coming back from a discoteque, my ears kept buzzing stronlgy for many hours, and I still perceive a faint buzzing now, even if I'm not in a silent environment.

Since I cannot avoid it, I try not to give attention to it, and so I don't perceive it anylonger. When I was a boy, this buzzing of ears, that I felt directly in my mind, annoyed me a lot, I believed to become crazy.
« Last Edit: 11/09/2006 12:33:41 by lightarrow »

Offline cranial_implant

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15/09/2006 17:50:02 »
I too have suffered form the buzzing after a loud concert. What is it ? Is it a temporary tinnitus ?

My head is not what it used to be.

Offline Gaia

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15/09/2006 18:38:36 »
quote:
Originally posted by syhprum

The answer is very simple, when your TV is on standby the Chopper type power supply is still running to supply power to the remote control receiver.
These P.S.U run at 15.625 Kz and due to magnostriction effects in the cores of the transformers that they use generate sound at this frequency which young people can hear.
Small P.S.U for phone chargers etc use a similar system

syhprum

Yaaaaaayyyyy, I'm still young ;)

Gaia  xxx

Offline ScouseLad

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 25/09/2006 07:37:40 »
quote:
Originally posted by Amos

When the world is relatively quiet, I could swear that I hear electricity. Even when the screen on my TV is black, I hear a high frequency pitch that tells me it's still on. And, when I look closer, I see that I'm right and turn it straight off. I've never been wrong.This high pitch ring can also be heard when small devices are charging, like cell phones and iPods. Am I going crazy? I suppose the answer has something to do with currents, wavelengths, and thus frequencies and pitches ... but I'd like to be more precise if I'm going to live the rest of my life with a ringing in my ears.

nah mate chill.. i can feel tha vibes from when a TV is on too, even if im the other room...

Offline Zeig

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 13/10/2006 01:15:01 »
no your not goin crazy. i have heard it before too. i think its just a high frequency sound made from electronic devices. my old t.v. make that wound too. It's like the new right tone at like idk i think it is 100 or 1000 HZ's? only younger lessdamaged easry can hear it. as far as charging idk really...

Offline ukmicky

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.space-talk.com/
« Reply #9 on: 13/10/2006 02:32:16 »
Its not fair i want to be young again i want to hear my psu.

Michael

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #9 on: 13/10/2006 02:32:16 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums