The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Why do I vomit after eating?  (Read 981 times)

Offline thedoc

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Why do I vomit after eating?
« on: 22/10/2014 16:30:02 »
Clyde Botwinick  asked the Naked Scientists:
   I wonder if the following symptoms remind you of a possible cause. I am experiencing episodes that occur after eating out in restaurants: generally 4 or 5 hours after eating I start feeling a bit of nausea and then I vomit. I then get the most severe chills so bad that even after I lay under blankets also with an electric under blanket and with an electric heater going full blast I feel ice cold. I don't sweat. The total elapsed time of these episodes is generally 4 to 6 hours and then the chills go away and I'm fine after a night sleep. I live in Johannesburg and the latest episode occurred yesterday. I went 2 months without a problem and then an episode occurred after eating out. I have no pain and no fever with these episodes. My gastroenterologist is stumped and he thought the problem could be as unlikely as malaria? I do have acid reflux and take a 40mg pill of Nexiam daily.  

What do you think?
« Last Edit: 22/10/2014 16:30:02 by _system »

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Why do I vomit after eating?
« Reply #1 on: 23/10/2014 19:30:08 »
Is it possible that you are having a bad allergic reaction? 

Are the foods you "eat out" different from what you eat at home? 

I'd encourage you to return to the restaurant after such an "episode", and get a list of every ingredient in everything you ate, and then try to start narrowing down what is "different" from your normal diet. 

It is also possible that you are getting classic bacterial mediated food poisoning (staph aureus, salmonella, enterotoxigenic e-coli) which is often self limiting.  However, I would be surprised if you are the only one who gets sick in this case.

Hopefully when you get your recipes and ingredient lists, you can also discretely ask the restaurant if they have heard of other illnesses.

The Naked Scientists Forum

Re: Why do I vomit after eating?
« Reply #1 on: 23/10/2014 19:30:08 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums