The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Cholesterol  (Read 2098 times)

Offline Mareia Doyle

• First timers
    • View Profile
Cholesterol
« on: 11/09/2006 23:02:18 »
Could you please tell me if there is a connection between Kidneys, Liver and high cholesterol. My GP told me that there was damage to my Kidneys and changes to my liver and has started me on simvastatin tablets.
Thank you
mareia Doyle

Offline iko

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: Cholesterol
« Reply #1 on: 15/09/2006 10:44:44 »
There is a strict connection.
Shortly, cholesterol is carried around by special proteins produced by the liver. When there is some damage in the kidneys, those proteins are lost in the urine and free cholesterol increases and may damage blood vessels. On the other hand, a damaged liver may be unable to produce enough carrier proteins.
It's not so simple, of course, but gives you an idea.
iko
« Last Edit: 15/09/2006 10:47:09 by iko »

Offline iko

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16/09/2006 21:35:53 »
quote:
Management of grapefruit-drug interactions

Grapefruit is a healthy addition to a well-balanced diet. However, the fruit has been shown to affect the metabolism of many medications, increasing the risk of toxicity and adverse effects. Characteristics of oral medications that may interact with grapefruit include extensive metabolism through the intestinal cytochrome P450 3A4 system, low bioavailability, and a narrow therapeutic index. Prominent medications known to interact with grapefruit include statins, antiarrhythmic agents, immunosuppressive agents, and calcium channel blockers. There are equally effective alternatives to these drug classes that do not have the potential to interact with grapefruit. These alternative drugs may be substituted if a patient experiences or is at risk of a grapefruit-drug interaction. Patients also may choose to exclude grapefruit from their diets and consume other fruits, including other types of citrus, to avoid an interaction.
Stump AL, Mayo T, Blum A.
Am Fam Physician. 2006 Aug 15;74(4):605-8.

I forgot to remind you that grapefruit juice interacts with most of the statins...your doctor probably told you about this.
Take care

iko

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=pubmed&cmd=Retrieve&dopt=AbstractPlus&list_uids=16939181&query_hl=1&itool=pubmed_docsum
« Last Edit: 16/09/2006 21:41:15 by iko »

Offline iko

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16/09/2006 21:35:53 »
quote:
Management of grapefruit-drug interactions

Grapefruit is a healthy addition to a well-balanced diet. However, the fruit has been shown to affect the metabolism of many medications, increasing the risk of toxicity and adverse effects. Characteristics of oral medications that may interact with grapefruit include extensive metabolism through the intestinal cytochrome P450 3A4 system, low bioavailability, and a narrow therapeutic index. Prominent medications known to interact with grapefruit include statins, antiarrhythmic agents, immunosuppressive agents, and calcium channel blockers. There are equally effective alternatives to these drug classes that do not have the potential to interact with grapefruit. These alternative drugs may be substituted if a patient experiences or is at risk of a grapefruit-drug interaction. Patients also may choose to exclude grapefruit from their diets and consume other fruits, including other types of citrus, to avoid an interaction.
Stump AL, Mayo T, Blum A.
Am Fam Physician. 2006 Aug 15;74(4):605-8.

I forgot to remind you that grapefruit juice interacts with most of the statins...your doctor probably told you about this.
Take care

iko

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=pubmed&cmd=Retrieve&dopt=AbstractPlus&list_uids=16939181&query_hl=1&itool=pubmed_docsum
« Last Edit: 16/09/2006 21:41:15 by iko »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #3 on: 16/09/2006 21:35:53 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length