The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: what is EVERYTHING made of, in the most simplest form  (Read 3789 times)

Offline james0123456789

• First timers
    • View Profile
hello everyone, or whoever is reading this, I am incredibly interested in some things about "life". the main question is, what is EVERYTHING made of, in the most simplified terms. earth, the universe, every and all things that have been discovered by man. what is the base? I have done some research on the subject and I have found that space is essentially "nothing", the things we can touch are made of matter or energy, im still a bit confused, I guess in the mind of a scientist, to get a 100 percent definite answer can not happen because we are always digging farther and farther, but as of now, in this time period, what do we know? is there one singular thing that is the essence of everything? thanks to whoever will speak with me on this subject.

Offline Ethos_

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: what is EVERYTHING made of, in the most simplest form
« Reply #1 on: 26/10/2014 02:37:45 »
the main question is, what is EVERYTHING made of, in the most simplified terms. earth, the universe, every and all things that have been discovered by man.

Quarks, Leptons, and Bosons.

Offline David Cooper

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26/10/2014 17:59:48 »
It's possible that the "nothing" is the only real something, while the stuff we can see is just ripples on the surface of the "nothing".

Offline evan_au

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26/10/2014 18:06:41 »
Quote from: Ethos_
Quarks, Leptons, and Bosons.
This is true, at a very detailed level.

For things that we experience in the Solar System and see in the night sky, these low-level components are mostly grouped into electrons, protons & neutrons.

For things that we can touch on Earth, these lower-level components are mostly grouped into atoms and molecules.

Things that we can't experience directly is thought to consist in large part of the mysterious Dark Matter.
« Last Edit: 26/10/2014 18:08:17 by evan_au »

Offline Bill S

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26/10/2014 23:28:00 »
Quote from: DC
It's possible that the "nothing" is the only real something, while the stuff we can see is just ripples on the surface of the "nothing".

David, I suspect you are being provocative there; or are you going to tell us how nothing can have a surface, or have ripples?
 :-\

Offline David Cooper

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27/10/2014 16:22:06 »
Quote from: DC

David, I suspect you are being provocative there; or are you going to tell us how nothing can have a surface, or have ripples?
 :-\

There is a big difference between nothing and "nothing" - the latter is not nothing.

Offline PmbPhy

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03/11/2014 01:10:11 »
Quote from: james0123456789
the main question is, what is EVERYTHING made of, in the most simplified terms.
In the most simplest terms (although not the most elementary particles) everything is made of atoms. An atom is defined as the smallest unit that defines the chemical elements and their isotopes.

I have done some research on the subject and I have found that space is essentially "nothing", the things we can touch are made of matter or energy, ...
It's a widely held misconception to believe that matter is "made of" energy. A famous physicist named Richard Feynman wrote in volume 1 of his three volume text The Feynman Lectures in section page 4-1 entitled What is Energy?
It is important to realize that in physics today, we have no knowledge of what energy is. We do not have a picture that energy comes in little blobs of a definite amount. It is not that way. However, there are formulas for calculating some numerical quantity, and we add it all together it gives 28 -  always the same number. It is an abstract thing in that it does not tell us the mechanism or the reasons for the various formulas.

...still a bit confused, I guess in the mind of a scientist, to get a 100 percent definite answer can not happen because we are always digging farther and farther, but as of now, in this time period, what do we know?
That's correct, i.e. never make the mistake that physicists think that their answers are 100% definite and impossible to be wrong. The history of science demonstrates that old theories are either discarded when shown to be wrong or modified to compensate for more accurate data.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #6 on: 03/11/2014 01:10:11 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums