The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: I fractured my third finger / ring finger, metacarpal bone(finger lower section)  (Read 2754 times)

Offline applet

• First timers
    • View Profile
 it does feel weak when i use it, eg even for typing. does this require any splinting or casing or will it heal just with time?

l have had a private x ray done on it , i received a special cream, bandages and a velcro strapped support . this needs to be replaced daily and at ~200HKD a time, (~$30US)

is it really necessary since it is not painful and l can straighten my fingers and clench weakly, can l just let nature do it s job?

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
You have a non-displaced fracture. 

Have you actually seen a doctor? 

I think the typical treatment in the USA is splinting (cast-like plater/fiberglass splint) until the swelling goes down, followed by an immobilization cast.  Do you  have associated cuts and scratches?

You may get away with a very good velcro "support", and may use pain to help guide your therapy, but it may also lengthen the recovery.  If you injure the non-displaced fracture, you might need surgery should it actually become displaced.

I think the general rule with casts is to immobilize one joint before, and one joint after the injury.  So, in this case, the cast/splint should go from mid-arm above the wrist, across the palm of the hand, across the knuckles, and to about the first joint in the fingers.  If you have some other splint, that would still give you an indication of what you should have.

Offline applet

• First timers
    • View Profile
CliffordK, thanks so much for your great reply. l haven't seen a doctor per se but went to a acunpuncture know all 'doctor'.
he advised me to get 2 xrays of my hand. the swelling has been reduced significantly, hands are about identical in size. there are no cuts or scratches, the injury happened because l was doing bench to floor clapping  pressups, similar to
but much more dangerous, as l had 2 benches on either side, one inclined, other flat and landed on the floor after a clap with hands. i wont be doing this exercise again! soon anyway! my palms suppose to land on floor 1st, but my right fingers landed first which took my full weight, well they couldn't obviously, snapped back, and a crack was heard and great pain! l went to get a massage of some chinese oil onto area next day and that really brought out the bruising and swelling. but it can hardly be seen now just 2 days after.  my hand can straighten and clench though weakly and theres only little discomfort. should l exercise the hand? clenching and straightening for eg, or keep it immobile as much as possible? do you think l should just let nature do its job now? 1 month? l do enjoy exercising, will it be ok if l leave my right hand out of the workout?

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
You'll have to do one-handed pushups for the next month or so. 

A doctor would likely still recommend a cast or splint.  However, you are right, as long as you don't injure it, it should heal.  Looking at the recommendations, they talk about acceptable shortening and angles for conservative treatment without surgery.  Yours seems non-displaced, so perhaps better than some.

Gentle movement of the fingers and wrist is not a bad idea.  Don't try to work through pain, but avoid anything and everything that is painful.  And no exercise for that hand.  Also, no deep massages for that hand.  I'd take it easy with the broken hand for at least a couple of months, then slowly ease back into exercise, again using pain as a guide.  Perhaps you could do resistance exercises with the forearm as long as you aren't at risk of re-injuring the hand, or causing pain.

Stationary bikes, or anything where your bad hand absolutely can not be injured are fine.

Offline applet

• First timers
    • View Profile
CliffordK
thanks again for fine advice. if it was fully fractured as opposed to non displaced fractured should l not be able to clench and open fingers (lightly and relatively pain free)? l am confident l won't put my right hand under any stress for next 2 months, so would it heal just as well as if l did visit the hospital? you must be in the medical field to know this

good to know there are fans of 'The Naked Scientists' across the pond.  ;)

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums