The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How do I wire up my home jacuzzi?  (Read 18731 times)

Offline new homeowner

• First timers
    • View Profile
How do I wire up my home jacuzzi?
« on: 13/09/2006 16:13:37 »
I know this is not a diy page, but it is the first forum to show up on google when searching for an electrical discussion forum, so I thought I would give this a shot...

I have just come into possession of an old jacuzzi, and I am trying to hook it up behind the garage.  The plug on the jacuzzi looks like a standard US 3-prong 110 line:

<font size="6">EXCEPT</font id="size6">
one of the flat blades is perpendicular to the other ( l-).

I assumed that this was a 220, but the friendly help at my local home depot told me that it was still a 110, and offered me a new socket to switch in that would accomidate either configuration.  Before I go through that trouble, does anyone know if that will even work? Or am I going to have to run a dedicated 220 line from the house?

Thanks
« Last Edit: 24/12/2006 09:19:29 by chris »

Offline science_guy

• I'm right there... inside neilep's head!
    • View Profile
Re: How do I wire up my home jacuzzi?
« Reply #1 on: 13/09/2006 16:21:19 »
first of all, Welcome to the forum!

Second of all, I would be as baffled as you, because I had always believed that that kind of plug was a 220.  Hopefully the answer will come soon for you.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

I would engage you in a battle of wits, but it is against my moral code to attack the unarmed.

Offline Hadrian

• Neilep Level Member
  • Scallywag
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18/09/2006 14:53:05 »
These sort of devices take a lot of power to run so I would be very careful before putting power through it. Electricity and water are together an efficient dispatcher of life.  

If I was you I get a qualified person to give it a once over. Donít you think youíre worth it? Well if you donít then I would take a look at the internal components a see what they are rated for.

What you do speaks so loudly that I cannot hear what you say.

Offline Hadrian

• Neilep Level Member
  • Scallywag
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18/09/2006 14:53:05 »
These sort of devices take a lot of power to run so I would be very careful before putting power through it. Electricity and water are together an efficient dispatcher of life.  

If I was you I get a qualified person to give it a once over. Donít you think youíre worth it? Well if you donít then I would take a look at the internal components a see what they are rated for.

What you do speaks so loudly that I cannot hear what you say.

Offline TallTravel

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15/10/2006 15:50:48 »
I have been shopping at Home Depot for over 20 years, and I can tell you the help there has declined substantially over the years. So my first question to you is: can you verify the information with someone who is a licensed electrician?

HD employee is trained to help whether s/he knows anything about the subject. Just because s/he was willing to help does not mean s/he was able to help.

That being said, the physical description you provided sounds far more like a 220 v connection than it does a 110 v connection.

Offline theavenger

• First timers
  • chemist and adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15/04/2009 23:10:33 »
This is a very old question, but I will answer it. Yes, the plug is 110 volt. Take a pair of pliers and bend the one plug pin sideways to match a typical 3 prong outlet. Easy. I have seen these plugs on a number of scientific instruments, including the Hewlett-Packard 5890 gas chromatograph.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #5 on: 15/04/2009 23:10:33 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length