The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Creationism and death  (Read 14282 times)

Offline thebrain13

• View Profile
Re: Creationism and death
« Reply #25 on: 18/09/2006 18:36:51 »
Another someone, if there was a point equidistant between two observers my universe. Only one could look at that specific point directly, unless somebody has eyes in the back of their head. All observers would be looking in the same direction at all times. If one of the observers is looking specifically at the point, and then continues to look a little farther, he would see the back of another mans head, if he could peer through his head, he would see another point the same distance away from the other man as it is from him. Every observer has the same view.

To Bostjan, I disagree that the universe is finite. And I assure you Im not worried about death, cause I know that cant happen. And I am trying to have a good time with this life, that way I dont mess it up for eternity.

another_someone

« Reply #26 on: 18/09/2006 20:20:34 »
quote:
Originally posted by thebrain13
Another someone, if there was a point equidistant between two observers my universe. Only one could look at that specific point directly, unless somebody has eyes in the back of their head. All observers would be looking in the same direction at all times. If one of the observers is looking specifically at the point, and then continues to look a little farther, he would see the back of another mans head, if he could peer through his head, he would see another point the same distance away from the other man as it is from him. Every observer has the same view.

You have very little imagination - what about mirrors (possibly half silvered mirrors), or video cameras, or lots of other devices that allow you to simultaneously be looking in one direction while also observing an image from the opposite direction.

George

Offline thebrain13

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 18/09/2006 20:49:29 »
It doesnt matter. If I have a video camera looking behind me, than so does everyone else, so they all see the same thing.

another_someone

« Reply #28 on: 18/09/2006 23:30:44 »
quote:

It doesnt matter. If I have a video camera looking behind me, than so does everyone else, so they all see the same thing.

What you seem to be suggesting is that space is formed of a regular crystal like structure that has infinitely repeating patterns (i.e. if a second Earth exists at 1 trillion light years distance, then it exists in a regular repeating pattern of 1 trillion light year intervals, just as atoms in a crystal lattice will repeat themselves, and unlike an amorphous arrangement of atoms, let alone the random arrangement of atoms in a gas).

If such a large scale lattice structure were to exist, it would imply that there was some reason for such a lattice to be created (just as the forces between atoms will hold them in place within the lattice structure of a crystal).

George

another_someone

« Reply #29 on: 18/09/2006 20:20:34 »
quote:

You have very little imagination - what about mirrors (possibly half silvered mirrors), or video cameras, or lots of other devices that allow you to simultaneously be looking in one direction while also observing an image from the opposite direction.

George

Offline thebrain13

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 18/09/2006 20:49:29 »

another_someone

« Reply #31 on: 18/09/2006 23:30:44 »
quote:

What you seem to be suggesting is that space is formed of a regular crystal like structure that has infinitely repeating patterns (i.e. if a second Earth exists at 1 trillion light years distance, then it exists in a regular repeating pattern of 1 trillion light year intervals, just as atoms in a crystal lattice will repeat themselves, and unlike an amorphous arrangement of atoms, let alone the random arrangement of atoms in a gas).

If such a large scale lattice structure were to exist, it would imply that there was some reason for such a lattice to be created (just as the forces between atoms will hold them in place within the lattice structure of a crystal).

George

Offline science_guy

• I'm right there... inside neilep's head!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 22/09/2006 16:16:17 »
quote:
There are two major views of creationism and death. There is the religous and the scientific. Religions answer is god created everything, and when you die you go to the afterlife. Sciences answer for creationism is the big bang, and their answer for death is the disturbing, rot for eternity, and well thats it. You shall be engulfed in nothingness for all time.

you seem to be dismissing this issue too easily with two extremes.  If you go to the website www.reasons.org, than you can see a new fact that supports God every day, using scientific observations and new discoverys.  Give the site a try and tell me what you think.

As for the big bang, that is also supported in old earth creationism. Argument:  if the universe has a beginning, than it must have a creator.  Who else is there for creating?

A view of the universe...  You could imagine the universe as a 3 dimensional surface on a 4 dimensional plane, just as we live on a 2 dimensional surface on a 3 dimensional plane of earth.  Time, space, matter, and energy are travelling outward as a ball being inflated.  All that is there is a shell surrounding nothing.  Make sense?

_________________________________________________________________________________________

I would engage you in a battle of wits, but it is against my moral code to attack the unarmed.
« Last Edit: 22/09/2006 16:16:59 by science_guy »

Offline nannham

• View Profile
    • http://www.fairbloodydinkum.com/
« Reply #33 on: 04/10/2006 04:53:49 »

... Or, you could imagine the universe as a 3 dimensional ripple expanding in the 4th dimension of time, riding on an infinite membrane which is actually one of the boundaries enclosing a 5 dimensional space .... as hypothesized in Brane Theory, or M Theory ...

Imagine that the boundary got neatly smacked by another membrane which slowly over time just happened to drift toward it, and collided with it, and stuck ... and the two branes became our single universe instantly, and the resulting energy continued to ripple outward ...

This would explain the 'flat' geometry of space, the lumpiness having increased with time ... and still it all travels outward ... and would therefore have had a beginning ... and probably an end some trillions upon trillions of our years hence, when matter is stretched so far apart that there is virtually nothing left anywhere ...

... note that here I use the word 'stretch' ... as in the stretching of the membrane upon which the atoms of our universe are riding ...

« Last Edit: 10/10/2006 16:44:42 by nannham »

Offline Quantumorigin7

• View Profile
Creationism and death
« Reply #34 on: 22/06/2008 20:46:36 »
thebrain, PM me and we can have some really good conversations on this topic, you sound like a second Me, for crying out loud!!!

Offline Alan McDougall

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Creationism and death
« Reply #35 on: 06/07/2008 10:45:31 »
Perhaps it is comforting to know that everything that exists has always existed, only changing form.

Energy cannot be created it can only be used and changed

Offline Alan McDougall

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Creationism and death
« Reply #36 on: 07/07/2008 20:50:42 »
I have a lot of reading to do on posts in this forum, but I will catch up

The Naked Scientists Forum

Creationism and death
« Reply #36 on: 07/07/2008 20:50:42 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums