The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Can altered diameter of quantum spherical spirals cause a color change?  (Read 910 times)

Offline Expectant_Philosopher

• View Profile
With quantum dots a change in the size of the quantum dot directly correlates to a change in its apparent color.  So for the many spectra of color we would need many sizes of dots to capture the entirety of the color spectrum.  i began thinking of ways we might use one quantum dot, but vary its size dynamically.  This could occur chemically, but the process and variations might be too slow.  i thought about using variability of concentric quantum rings, but didn't know whether the gap between rings would act as a barrier and whether we could stimulate a color change just by varying the intensity of the illuminating laser.  Then I thought of the construct of the spherical spiral whose springlike motion can collapse or expand its diameter.  I wondered, could we stimulate a quantum spherical spiral to change shape and would the change in diameter bring about a color change, and hoped that the non-discontinous gap between the spiral arms would not create a barrier.
« Last Edit: 15/11/2014 06:39:19 by Expectant_Philosopher »

Offline Expectant_Philosopher

• View Profile
If the material of the spherical spiral could be controlled by a magnetic field then the material of the spiral could at an uncompressed state be transparent, and at each stage of compression represent a color alteration.  The material of the quantum spherical spiral could be fashioned out of graphene with laser changing it from an insulator to a conductive material and therefore reactive in a magnetic field. As a side note, The nature of the spiral could also cause it to act as a variable filter, allowing filtering at any particulate or molecular level.  The material could look solid, but could transform to a transparent window state.

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums