The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Has anyone tried Windows 10?  (Read 12228 times)

Offline ScientificMind

• First timers
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone tried Windows 10?
« Reply #25 on: 23/08/2015 16:23:52 »
I use it.. and it's quite awsome!

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 23/08/2015 20:01:44 »
apparently Windows 10 is awesomely sneaky ....

Quote from: boingboing.net
By default, Windows [10] listens to you, gathers your keystrokes, watches your browser history and purchases and sends them to Microsoft and its partners -- but even if you turn off all the tickboxes in the hellishly complex privacy dashboard it still gathers and sprays your data.
http://boingboing.net/2015/08/14/even-when-you-turn-on-win-10.html

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/08/even-when-told-not-to-windows-10-just-cant-stop-talking-to-microsoft/

I can see why they can afford to give Windows 10 away : if it generates valuable marketing data, [ it's similar to spyware ].
« Last Edit: 23/08/2015 20:13:58 by RD »

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 25/08/2015 20:47:07 »
If you read my posts from the last year you can see how it has evolved from something rather useless to something brilliant

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 02/09/2015 19:15:39 »

Offline PmbPhy

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 08/10/2015 01:41:25 »
I tried it and am having problems with it. I don't think its bad. In fact I like it a lot. The problem is that it's very hard to get help for things like bookmarking a site and adding websites to the favorites bar in Windows Explorer. So for now I want to go back to windows 8.1. Does anybody know how to do that?

Offline ProjectSailor

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 08/10/2015 13:46:54 »
Pete, when you upgraded, the system creates a roll back point and there is an option somewhere in the windows update screens that allows you to roll back.

I think its brilliant and rolls the great features from 7 into the new features in 8.. and thankfully away form the smart phone/tablet feel of 8...

Offline PmbPhy

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 08/10/2015 14:47:19 »
Quote from: ProjectSailor
Pete, when you upgraded, the system creates a roll back point and there is an option somewhere in the windows update screens that allows you to roll back.

I think its brilliant and rolls the great features from 7 into the new features in 8.. and thankfully away form the smart phone/tablet feel of 8...
Thanks. I'm sure that will be very helpful if I can figure out how to do that. Do you know how? If so can you post the step by step procedure to do it, please?

But before I do that I think that I'll try to figure out how to use it before I roll it back. Can you, and others of course, tell me how to bookmark webpages and make visible the Favorites bar. Thanks.

Best wishes,
Pete

Offline ProjectSailor

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 09/10/2015 11:19:39 »

Thanks. I'm sure that will be very helpful if I can figure out how to do that. Do you know how? If so can you post the step by step procedure to do it, please?

But before I do that I think that I'll try to figure out how to use it before I roll it back. Can you, and others of course, tell me how to bookmark webpages and make visible the Favorites bar. Thanks.

Best wishes,
Pete

I will have to go squirrelling around on my lappy later tonight to see if I can do screen dumps etc for you..

Is this within the browser? or on the desktop?

The browser that comes with Win 10 is windows edge.. which I am also struggling with (and keeps crashing on me) try downloading firefox or google chrome which should have the same functionality that you are used to.

Offline PmbPhy

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 12/10/2015 17:21:12 »

Best wishes,
Pete

I will have to go squirrelling around on my lappy later tonight to see if I can do screen dumps etc for you..

Is this within the browser? or on the desktop?
Thank you. Any luck yet?

The browser that comes with Win 10 is windows edge.. which I am also struggling with (and keeps crashing on me) try downloading firefox or google chrome which should have the same functionality that you are used to.
Thanks.
Any luck yet?

Offline chris

• Neilep Level Member
  • The Naked Scientist
    • View Profile
    • The Naked Scientists
« Reply #34 on: 23/10/2015 07:35:49 »
Has any one tried alternative operating systems recently.
How does Linux stand up these days.
Does it do all the annoying updates and security checks windows and various internet search engines want to do.
Does it turn your computer into a brick:-\

I love linux. Over the last couple of years I have built several standalone machines and a few servers / webservers (LAMPs) based on the Debian distro. It installs like a charm, there are drivers for everything I have tried to use, including even on a machine that was about 10 years old, and it's extremely stable.

For me, the most memorable thing as it installs is the message "Prepare to re-take control of your PC!".

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #34 on: 23/10/2015 07:35:49 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums