The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What are remedies for back pain?  (Read 1380 times)

Offline thedoc

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
What are remedies for back pain?
« on: 21/11/2014 06:30:01 »
brandi lockhart  asked the Naked Scientists:

I'm concerned about my mother's back pains! Sometime she can't even sleep at night, I was researching some alternatives for any kind of surgery, cannabis oil just might work. So how could I possibly get any cannabis oil for my mother?

What do you think?
« Last Edit: 21/11/2014 06:30:01 by _system »

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: What are remedies for back pain?
« Reply #1 on: 22/11/2014 08:36:48 »
There are several states in the USA where Medical Marijuana has been legalized, and is distributed through licensed dispensaries in various forms.  And, the diagnosis of a legitimate medical requirement is often rather lax. 

If your locale hasn't legalized medical marijuana, then purchasing it, transporting it, shipping it, or bringing it through customs may be illegal. 

As far as Marijuana being a "wonder drug", there seem to be many claims without a lot of support, although I suppose anything that alters one's mental state could potentially interact with one's perception of pain. 

No doubt there are different kinds of back pain, symptoms, and causes.  For many people, some degree of regular exercise and stretching (within reason) may be helpful.  I've had low-level back pain for years, and have tried to learn some of the things that make my pain better or worse.  For me, a tight belt or pants is really bad.  I've also discovered that I can sleep better in an easy-chair than in my bed.  I'm not quite sure why, but perhaps the bed flattens out contours that shouldn't flatten out.  Yet, firm also seems better than soft.

Good luck with pain reduction.

Offline alancalverd

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • life is too short to drink instant coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22/11/2014 15:04:00 »
Beware of treating the symptoms: get a proper diagnosis first. Nonlocalised back pain that is not relieved by chiropractic manipulation can be a sign of bowel cancer.

Offline chiralSPO

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22/11/2014 16:40:52 »
As with any ailment, don't just treat the symptoms, figure out what the problem is and treat that! Back pain could be related to muscle spasm, arthritis, a slipped disk, or, as alancalverd pointed out, something much more serious. All of these conditions should be treated differently.

As far as cannabis goes, it has be shown to help treat some seizure disorders, glaucoma, and nausea/lack of appetite associated with chemotherapy. Some extracts have been used to to treat inflammation or shown promise as antibiotics. It is also a lot safer than opioid drugs for the treatment of chronic or idiopathic pain. That said, it cannabis is not a cure-all, and anyone claiming it can do something amazing better have the data to support their claims! Unfortunately, in their infinite wisdom, the US federal government has done all they can to prohibit any studies that are not designed to show harmful effects... not how science or medicine should be practiced!
« Last Edit: 22/11/2014 17:12:10 by chiralSPO »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #3 on: 22/11/2014 16:40:52 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums