The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Resonance of Cancer Cell Membranes  (Read 5948 times)

Offline ron123456

• View Profile
Resonance of Cancer Cell Membranes
« on: 21/11/2014 18:58:33 »

Can a cancer cell membrane be resonated to burst using ultrasound of the correct wattage and wave characteristics ( pulsed , continuous wave , shape )? I heard that all the various cancer cell shapes are vulnerable between 100 KHz and 300 KHz and I think that ultrasound goes between 20 KHz and 20 MHz? So with the correct everything that is required can a wand with conductive gel introduce the correct ultrasound frequencies into the body to resonate the cancer cells into destruction? I think the speed of sound within the body is 1540 m/s. I also heard that normal human cells have a resonant frequency of around 1 Mhz, so I suspect that the frequency range of 100 KHz to 300 KHz would only resonate the cancer cells of various shapes and not affect normal human cells.
« Last Edit: 21/11/2014 22:29:04 by ron123456 »

Offline chiralSPO

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: Resonance of Cancer Cell Membranes
« Reply #1 on: 21/11/2014 19:13:02 »
I would be surprised if one could achieve any substantial selectivity for the destruction of cancerous vs healthy cells in this manner, but it's an interesting concept.

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21/11/2014 22:25:05 »
sounds a bit like "irreversible electroporation" ...
https://www.google.com/search?q=irreversible+electroporation+cancer+treatment+NICE

[ but that's done using electricity , not sound ]
« Last Edit: 21/11/2014 22:37:05 by RD »

Offline cancer20.info

• First timers
    • View Profile
    • cancer20.info
« Reply #3 on: 22/11/2014 15:40:50 »
- Do you know what are the causes of the cancerous cells?
- After removing the cancerous cells by radiation or your mentioned way or other invasive symptomatic removal ways, can you stop cancer coming back?
- I self cured my cancer on the hard palate 14 years ago. If you want to find more about self cure cancer therapy, you are welcome to visit my website. 8)

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22/11/2014 16:43:41 »
- I self cured my cancer on the hard palate 14 years ago ...

If your story is true have you considered the possibility it was spontaneous remission , or false diagnosis, rather than your "self cure"?

Quote from: cancer20.info
  Generally, only 1.5% of chemo patients survived longer than two years after their treatment.
cancer20.info/story-part-4.html

Cancer Research UK says different ...

http://publications.cancerresearchuk.org/downloads/Product/CS_KF_ORAL.pdf

Quote from: cancer20.info
  Please go onto the internet yourself ... you will find almost everything you want.
cancer20.info/story-part-4.html

If you have ever succeeded in curing cancer I'd have thought you'd should have more than "1 like" on FaceBook ...

www.facebook.com/pages/Cancer-To-Zero-Group
« Last Edit: 22/11/2014 17:36:04 by RD »

Offline alancalverd

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • life is too short to drink instant coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22/11/2014 18:21:39 »
http://www.icr.ac.uk/our-research/researchers-and-teams/professor-gail-ter-haar is the acknowledged guru on the subject. She seems to be concentrating on spot heating rather than cell wall rupture. We haven't spoken for a while but after about 30 years in the field I suspect she knows what she is doing!

Offline ron123456

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23/12/2014 18:34:27 »
Even if the resonance measurements were done with isolated cancer cells, which may have been the case, should it still not be possible to resonate cells within their environment? Many suspension bridges fell often due to resonance. The walls of Jericho fell also possibly by resonance and they were not isolated from their environments.
« Last Edit: 24/12/2014 21:51:45 by ron123456 »

Online evan_au

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 25/12/2014 10:32:52 »
Cells in solid tissues are bound to adjacent cells, which are in turn coupled to other cells. This sounds to me like this structure will not have a well-defined resonance frequency, which would be different between different cell types or cancer/non-cancerous cells. (The amount of resonance is sometimes called the "Q-factor" - I expect that body cells would have a low Q-factor).

Sufficiently intense ultrasound will cause cavitation (bubbles) in the fluid of cells, which would kill the cells. This does not rely on a high-Q resonance.

To achieve these intensities, you can't use a simple ultrasound source, but you need a phased array of ultrasound transducers, which focus the ultrasound on the target area.

But this is a brute-force approach, and will kill any cell near its focus, including the walls of blood vessels. The real concern is if this process allows a few cancer cells to survive the treatment, and escape into the bloodstream, and circulate to other parts of the body.

Offline ron123456

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 05/01/2015 17:37:21 »
Is it possible to prevent the cavitation with a simple ultrasound source? Then the problem of cavitation would be eliminated and perhaps a dampened harmonic oscillator problem may exist providing the mathematical correct parameters. 

Online evan_au

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 05/01/2015 22:08:04 »
On a somewhat related topic, there has been some recent work looking at the vibration characteristics and resonances of living cells using Atomic Force Microscopy.

Some of these vibrations are due to internal metabolic processes within the cell.
Cancer cells have a disrupted metabolism, so it is possibly that this technique might be able to detect cancerous cells?
By then increasing the power to the AFM probe, you may be able to puncture the cell membrane and kill the cell.
...but this won't help with tumors in solid organs.

Offline ron123456

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 12/01/2015 17:06:53 »
       This topic is now continued in a new post called "Destroying tumors by halting cancer cell glycolysis": Last Post Feb23 2015.

« Last Edit: 25/03/2015 01:35:54 by ron123456 »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #10 on: 12/01/2015 17:06:53 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums