The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Building a tube magnet ?  (Read 2701 times)

Offline Going2try

• First timers
    • View Profile
Building a tube magnet ?
« on: 25/11/2014 03:28:41 »
I'm new to the forum and am not sure if this question has ever been addressed . I need to build a tube electromagnet 2" x 1' for a small project I'm doing. I need to know what size wire I will need to use to wind it with, I want the magnetic charge to be quick, powerful and be constant so the wire will need to be able to handle the current for a long period of time, I also need to know what type of material to use for the tube, can I use stainless Steel,conduit or other non magnetic material or will that not work for this application, any information would be greatly appreciated.

Offline RD

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: 25/11/2014 03:47:30 by RD »

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Building a tube magnet ?
« Reply #2 on: 25/11/2014 06:46:59 »
I was imagining something more like the Shake Flashlights which turn out to not be quite as effective as advertised.

There are a lot of variables.  Are you using your tube magnet in conjunction with a permanent magnet?  How powerful?  What are you making?  Oh, and your target voltage/amperage? 

Your core material may depend on whether you choose to periodically reverse the magnetic field (AC), or if it will always be the same direction of field (DC)

Offline alancalverd

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • life is too short to drink instant coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25/11/2014 09:20:29 »
If you want a really fast risetime, don't use a conductive former. Plastic conduit or drainpipe is excellent. I have made demonstration solenoids with single-strand 0.5 mm varnished copper wire - it holds its shape better than regular plastic-covered wire.

But you really need to start with a specification: what field strength do you want? Do you have the skill to wind a multi-layer solenoid, or just a single coil? What power supply do you have available? It's an interesting balancing act between risetime (the fewer turns, the faster the risetime), current capacity (fewer turns = more current for the same field, but you will need thicker wire to carry the current), and heat dissipation (pulsed or continuous field?)   

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #3 on: 25/11/2014 09:20:29 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length