The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Advice for someone getting into science journalism...  (Read 1147 times)

Offline thedoc

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Alba Vitobello  asked the Naked Scientists:

As you are a well know scientific journalist, I would like to have your advice about how my daughter could get into the same scope. My daughter is doing her GCSE's this year.  She is very passionate about Science and Geography and she would like to combine this passion with journalism as she enjoys to share her knowledge with others.  What pathways would you advise her to follow? Thank you for your time. Kind regards,
Alba

What do you think?
« Last Edit: 25/11/2014 11:30:02 by _system »

Offline alancalverd

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • life is too short to drink instant coffee
    • View Profile
Re: Advice for someone getting into science journalism...
« Reply #1 on: 25/11/2014 16:32:58 »
The best and most respected science journalists I know have a degree in a basic science (physics, chemistry, engineering, medical sciences...) with either a final year module or an MSc in science communication. A good GCSE in English is essential, even if she is going to write in another language, because it is by default the common language of most of her primary sources, and some knowledge of Chinese, Japanese or Russian will put her way ahead of most rivals for any job. An interest in geography suggests that she might consider studying physical geography or earth sciences if she wants to pursue a somewhat narrow but rich vein of journalism.

Offline Georgia

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25/11/2014 17:53:00 »
My advice would be to start taking every opportunity to write, start a blog - get into the habit of writing regularly and getting feedback. Also, keep reading and listening to current science reporting - especially The Naked Scientists ;)

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 25/11/2014 17:53:00 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums