The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How does male libido alter with age?  (Read 2446 times)

Offline PmbPhy

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
How does male libido alter with age?
« on: 28/11/2014 15:41:31 »
Does anybody know how the libido of a man changes with age? Does it drop radically in a few years or is it steady decline?
« Last Edit: 29/11/2014 13:09:41 by chris »

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Libido and age
« Reply #1 on: 28/11/2014 21:34:51 »
I think testosterone levels peak in the 30's, and decrease after that, although perhaps "free testosterone" peaks even earlier. 

Marriage and children also apparently negatively affects the testosterone levels.

Offline PmbPhy

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28/11/2014 21:45:45 »
I think testosterone levels peak in the 30's, and decrease after that, although perhaps "free testosterone" peaks even earlier. 

Marriage and children also apparently negatively affects the testosterone levels.
I read that there was no set relationship between the tw

Offline alancalverd

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • life is too short to drink instant coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29/11/2014 00:04:12 »
Libido is affected by opportunity as well as hormones, and opportunity generally decreases with age.

Offline PmbPhy

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29/11/2014 02:00:45 »
Libido is affected by opportunity as well as hormones, and opportunity generally decreases with age.
Thanks. I had a feeling that was a factor too.

Does anybody know the accuracy of this page?  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libido

Offline PmbPhy

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 29/11/2014 09:47:29 »
Here's a question that I thought that I'd never be asking in my lifetime. If my libido is on the fritz then that means I have no desire for intimacy, right? Since I'm single anyway what would be the point of fixing it? It appears to me that the only thing that would change would be that I'd have the ability to "get revved up." But what's the sense of getting all revved up if you have no place to go? It's not as if I'm automatically going to have a lady friend when the problem is fixed so it appears to me that fixing it would be the problem, not actually having the problem as it stands.

See what I mean by ha question that I never thought I'd be asking in my lifetime! Lol!!

Offline PmbPhy

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01/12/2014 03:27:44 »
For those men who are passed their 50's I'm sure you've experienced a reduction in such desires, correct? If so then did they come gradually over many years or sudden over a period of a year or two?

Offline alancalverd

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • life is too short to drink instant coffee
    • View Profile
Re: How does male libido alter with age?
« Reply #7 on: 01/12/2014 08:52:02 »
For those men who are passed their 50's I'm sure you've experienced a reduction in such desires, correct?

Far from it. There's nothing like a houseful of kids and commuting to a 9 to 5 job for suppressing the urge to reproduce - and indeed the opportunity. It's a classic case of superposition (what a lovely the double entendre!) of desire, opportunity and performance curves, complicated by the fact that desire and opportunity are crosslinked respectively to the performance and desire curves of another person, and overlaid by social status: being single and unencumbered by debt, children, or whatever, increases opportunity by several orders of magnitude.     

The Naked Scientists Forum

Re: How does male libido alter with age?
« Reply #7 on: 01/12/2014 08:52:02 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums