The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: What are the rules about naming genes?  (Read 2131 times)

Offline thedoc

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
What are the rules about naming genes?
« on: 17/02/2015 10:02:42 »
In a recent Naked Genetics podcast Dr Kat talks about genes called "unkempt" and "headcase". This caused me to wonder how they came to have such bizarre names.   Then I wondered what the "rules" are for naming genes? Who gets to christen them? Is there a classification system and agreed nomenclature for genes (as there are for plants and animals) or can people who discover them call them whatever they like? Surely a free-for-all would be chaotic - no-one would know which gene was which, there would be some genes that were "discovered" by several different people all of whom called it by a different name, and possibly lots of different genes with the same name (although I doubt whether too many people would name their newly discovered gene "headcase").  Thank, Nicky        

Asked by Nicky Peng

Visit the webpage for the podcast in which this question is answered.

...or Listen to the Answer or [download as MP3]

« Last Edit: 17/02/2015 10:02:42 by _system »

Offline thedoc

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 17/02/2015 10:02:42 »
We answered this question on the show...

Kat - At this point wed usually be hearing about our gene of the month - over the past couple of years weve had some wonderfully-name examples, from Sonic Hedgehog to Superman. Most of these are named by researchers working with model organisms such as fruit flies, who tend to pick a name inspired by the appearance of a fly lacking that gene. But listener Nicky Peng wants to know more and has written in asking
« Last Edit: 17/02/2015 10:02:42 by _system »

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #1 on: 17/02/2015 10:02:42 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums

Login
Login with username, password and session length