The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Alcohol use helps boost income: study  (Read 2664 times)

Offline Hadrian

• Neilep Level Member
  • Scallywag
    • View Profile
Alcohol use helps boost income: study
« on: 15/09/2006 20:57:03 »
Thu Sep 14 news.yahoo.com

People who consume alcohol earn significantly more at their jobs than non-drinkers, according to a US study that highlighted "social capital" gained from drinking. The study published in the Journal of Labor Research Thursday concluded that drinkers earn 10 to 14 percent more than teetotalers, and that men who drink socially bring home an additional seven percent in pay.

"Social drinking builds social capital," said Edward Stringham, an economics professor at San Jose State University and co-author of the study with fellow researcher Bethany Peters.

"Social drinkers are out networking, building relationships, and adding contacts to their BlackBerries that result in bigger paychecks."

The authors acknowledged their study, funded by the Reason Foundation, a libertarian think tank, contradicted research released in 2000 by the Harvard School of Public Health

More: http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20060914/hl_afp/afplifestylehealthalcohol

What you do speaks so loudly that I cannot hear what you say.

another_someone

Re: Alcohol use helps boost income: study
« Reply #1 on: 15/09/2006 21:48:55 »
Ofcourse, it may be that people with more money can simply afford to buy more booze.

George

Offline Hadrian

• Neilep Level Member
  • Scallywag
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15/09/2006 21:52:53 »
tell the to the bums in my local  LOL :D:D

What you do speaks so loudly that I cannot hear what you say.

Offline gecko

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16/09/2006 02:53:04 »
i would really double or triple consider something like this(and all things, while youre at it). an issue like this, with so many factors, cant be summed up in "drinkers earn more! dont you feel less guilty now?" there has to be a motivation. consider the source.

for example: "The authors acknowledged their study, funded by the Reason Foundation, a libertarian think tank, contradicted research released in 2000 by the Harvard School of Public Health"

so the study was made with the intention to discredit and contradict harvards work, by the work of a "libertarian think tank": a likely enemy. they didnt study 'how alcohol consumption affects income', they studied 'what methods can we use to come to the opposite conclusion of that harvard study?'.

of course i would take harvards study with a grain of salt, too.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #3 on: 16/09/2006 02:53:04 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums