The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: sphinx  (Read 2128 times)

Offline cthyme

• First timers
    • View Profile
sphinx
« on: 20/12/2014 15:17:06 »
Is there any evidence suggesting that the sphinx was originally carved with a lions head. The ancient builders were
 so precise with measurments, the sphinx is not balanced the head is much to small for its body.
thanks. Very curious.

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: sphinx
« Reply #1 on: 21/12/2014 11:03:28 »
Interesting idea.

I'm not sure how certain the dates are, but the Sphinx of Hetepheres II apparently pre-dated the Giza Sphinx by a couple hundred years, so the lion/human symbol would already have existed prior to the creation of the Giza Sphinx.

I believe the Sphinx was sculpted out of a natural hillside.  So, the underlying shape of the previous hill could have determined the shape of the statue, or perhaps there was a natural defect that reduced the size of the head during the process of carving it. 

Does the Sphinx carry the face of a Pharaoh?  Could a later Pharaoh have had the sculpture revised with his own face? 

Offline evan_au

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21/12/2014 11:46:02 »
It doesn't have the muzzle of a lion, and the headdress does not look much like a lion's mane.

It was more human-like in the past, but it's nose was chiseled off. At one point it also had a pharaoh's beard (now in the British Museum).

Offline cthyme

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21/12/2014 13:47:57 »
Revisions of more than one Pharaoh's likeness, along with wind and sand  doing its own sculpting could account for it. The original Pharaoh's likeness being in proportion with the body.....There still seems to be a lot of stone missing. This has teased me for many years, and it's great to have feedback on it.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #3 on: 21/12/2014 13:47:57 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums