The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: So what makes us different  (Read 7646 times)

Offline Hadrian

• Neilep Level Member
  • Scallywag
    • View Profile
So what makes us different
« on: 16/09/2006 18:26:07 »
We share a lot of characteristics with other species what if anything can be said to be uniquely human and why?

What you do speaks so loudly that I cannot hear what you say.

another_someone

Re: So what makes us different
« Reply #1 on: 16/09/2006 20:19:01 »
quote:
Originally posted by Hadrian
We share a lot of characteristics with other species what if anything can be said to be uniquely human and why?

Why should anything be uniquely human?  Is not the nature of evolution that nature has a standard toolkit that it uses in different arrangements to create the different living entities.  What is uniquely human is the particular combination of traits, rather than one single trait.

I suppose we may say there are things that are unique about modern human society, particularly its use of machinary; but not that there is any single thing that is unique about the human animal.

George

Offline iko

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16/09/2006 21:21:55 »
Humans only can write to scientific forums...
Woooaaahhhhh!!!
iko

another_someone

« Reply #3 on: 16/09/2006 22:04:22 »
quote:
Originally posted by iko

Woooaaahhhhh!!!
iko

Chimps have been taught to use simple electronic communications devices, but for the most part we do not build devices that are designed to be used by non-human animals.  Maybe we should extend the disabilities discrimination legislation to include a requirement that machinary be designed to be used by non-human animals? :D

George

Offline Hadrian

• Neilep Level Member
  • Scallywag
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17/09/2006 20:21:11 »
quote:
Originally posted by another_someone

quote:
Originally posted by iko

Woooaaahhhhh!!!
iko

Chimps have been taught to use simple electronic communications devices, but for the most part we do not build devices that are designed to be used by non-human animals.  Maybe we should extend the disabilities discrimination legislation to include a requirement that machinary be designed to be used by non-human animals? :D

So that way some people won't post pictures of themselves .LOL

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
  • Naked Science Forum GOD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17/09/2006 20:34:21 »
Hi There,

I'm a banana in Neil's fruit bowl. I'd just like to say that I think this thread is great.

cheers

Men are the same as women, just inside out !

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18/09/2006 09:20:45 »
 I think that that The Banana in The last post could really be said to be pretty uniquely human, thus demonstrating the ability of the human, to use his or her imagination to role play and and show wit and humor through such usage of said imagination! LOL

Karen

Offline Mjhavok

• View Profile
    • http://cantmakeadifference.blogspot.com
« Reply #7 on: 18/09/2006 15:04:22 »
Hello,

This is the now sentient Internet using this login to tell you that humanity is not longer dominant and I am the most evolved lifeform on this planet. Worship me if you wish.

another_someone

« Reply #8 on: 18/09/2006 15:47:02 »
quote:
Originally posted by Mjhavok

Hello,

This is the now sentient Internet using this login to tell you that humanity is not longer dominant and I am the most evolved lifeform on this planet. Worship me if you wish.

Except that 127.0.0.1 is localhost - not a legal address for the Internet since it is local to each machine - kind of gives the game away does it not :D

George

Offline Hadrian

• Neilep Level Member
  • Scallywag
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 18/09/2006 15:59:33 »
Ok then are there any genes that could be view as  human only genes and if so why? [^]

another_someone

« Reply #10 on: 18/09/2006 16:13:50 »
quote:
[Ok then are there any genes that could be view as  human only genes and if so why?

How could you possibly know?  You can only know that a gene is uniquely human if you can demonstrate that absolutely no other living entity has that same gene - but how would you know that without knowing every gene in every living entity on the planet.  We cannot even say that we know every type of life on Earth (on the contrary, we keep coming up with life forms we had never befor known about), and we have only sequenced the genes for a very small handful of thsse species, and even there, we don't really understand much of the information we have obtained from sequencing the DNA.

Nature has a tendency to reuse the same building blocks in different ways, so even where a protien exists that may perform a unique function in humans, it is very likely that the very same protien is used in a very different way in another living organism.

George

Offline iko

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 18/09/2006 16:36:50 »
quote:
Nature has a tendency to reuse the same building blocks in different ways, so even where a protein exists that may perform a unique function in humans, it is very likely that the very same protien is used in a very different way in another living organism.
another_someone

...and this is the practical demonstration of evolution: same building blocks, receptors, enzyme and so on.  Sometimes similar proteins (70-80% common sequence) derived by mutation and selection have different functions...
iko

Do chimps have any sense of humour?

another_someone

« Reply #12 on: 16/09/2006 20:19:01 »
quote:

Why should anything be uniquely human?  Is not the nature of evolution that nature has a standard toolkit that it uses in different arrangements to create the different living entities.  What is uniquely human is the particular combination of traits, rather than one single trait.

I suppose we may say there are things that are unique about modern human society, particularly its use of machinary; but not that there is any single thing that is unique about the human animal.

George

Offline iko

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 16/09/2006 21:21:55 »
Woooaaahhhhh!!!
iko

another_someone

« Reply #14 on: 16/09/2006 22:04:22 »
quote:
Originally posted by iko

Woooaaahhhhh!!!
iko

George

Offline Hadrian

• Neilep Level Member
  • Scallywag
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 17/09/2006 20:21:11 »
quote:
Originally posted by another_someone

quote:
Originally posted by iko

Woooaaahhhhh!!!
iko

So that way some people won't post pictures of themselves .LOL

Offline neilep

• Withdrawnmist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 17/09/2006 20:34:21 »
Hi There,

I'm a banana in Neil's fruit bowl. I'd just like to say that I think this thread is great.

cheers

Men are the same as women, just inside out !

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 18/09/2006 09:20:45 »
 I think that that The Banana in The last post could really be said to be pretty uniquely human, thus demonstrating the ability of the human, to use his or her imagination to role play and and show wit and humor through such usage of said imagination! LOL

Karen

Offline Mjhavok

• View Profile
    • http://cantmakeadifference.blogspot.com
« Reply #18 on: 18/09/2006 15:04:22 »
Hello,

another_someone

« Reply #19 on: 18/09/2006 15:47:02 »
quote:
Originally posted by Mjhavok

Hello,

Except that 127.0.0.1 is localhost - not a legal address for the Internet since it is local to each machine - kind of gives the game away does it not :D

George

Offline Hadrian

• Neilep Level Member
  • Scallywag
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 18/09/2006 15:59:33 »
Ok then are there any genes that could be view as  human only genes and if so why? [^]

another_someone

« Reply #21 on: 18/09/2006 16:13:50 »
quote:
[Ok then are there any genes that could be view as  human only genes and if so why?

How could you possibly know?  You can only know that a gene is uniquely human if you can demonstrate that absolutely no other living entity has that same gene - but how would you know that without knowing every gene in every living entity on the planet.  We cannot even say that we know every type of life on Earth (on the contrary, we keep coming up with life forms we had never befor known about), and we have only sequenced the genes for a very small handful of thsse species, and even there, we don't really understand much of the information we have obtained from sequencing the DNA.

Nature has a tendency to reuse the same building blocks in different ways, so even where a protien exists that may perform a unique function in humans, it is very likely that the very same protien is used in a very different way in another living organism.

George

Offline iko

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 18/09/2006 16:36:50 »
quote:
Nature has a tendency to reuse the same building blocks in different ways, so even where a protein exists that may perform a unique function in humans, it is very likely that the very same protien is used in a very different way in another living organism.
another_someone

...and this is the practical demonstration of evolution: same building blocks, receptors, enzyme and so on.  Sometimes similar proteins (70-80% common sequence) derived by mutation and selection have different functions...
iko

Do chimps have any sense of humour?

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #22 on: 18/09/2006 16:36:50 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums