The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Water as a fuel ?  (Read 9533 times)

Offline lightarrow

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: Water as a fuel ?
« Reply #25 on: 22/09/2006 15:39:14 »
quote:
Originally posted by Karen W.

Science stuff confuses me.. I wish it did not take me so long to get something!
I think you could be much more good in science if you were very much interested in it. I can easily remember formulas or physical/chemical values, because they have a deep meaning for me, but not for others. The same for other kinds of things; it's incredibly difficult for me to remember a law, for example, even if I study it a lot of times (this would be very important for my work).

Offline lightarrow

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 22/09/2006 15:46:01 »
quote:
Originally posted by neilep

I understand that there could in fact be some instances when a fire is so hot that water would in fact act as a fuel.....Some of those weird explosive metal type things ! :D (hope my technical terminology is not to too complicated for you) :D
Yes, metallic magnesium, for example, burns better in the presence of much water vapour than of air: if you take a little piece of magnesium and you ignite it with a flame, it burns with a bright white light; if then you put it over a pot with boiling water, it burns faster and brighter.

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 01/10/2006 02:30:22 »
OH that is really cool. thats interesting,! If it burns brighter does that also mean it will burn hotter, and perhaps apply that to powering something when the presence of water comes into play!! I am not sure I phrased that the way I meant it! Answer me first and I will see if that is what I meant, I confused myself!! LOL not hard to do at all!

Karen

Offline moonfire

• Neilep Level Member
  • Can't stand the heat, step away from the fire!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.m2global.com/stormdiamonds
« Reply #28 on: 01/10/2006 03:05:09 »
quote:
Originally posted by lightarrow

quote:
Originally posted by neilep

I understand that there could in fact be some instances when a fire is so hot that water would in fact act as a fuel.....Some of those weird explosive metal type things ! :D (hope my technical terminology is not to too complicated for you) :D
Yes, metallic magnesium, for example, burns better in the presence of much water vapour than of air: if you take a little piece of magnesium and you ignite it with a flame, it burns with a bright white light; if then you put it over a pot with boiling water, it burns faster and brighter.

I love experimental science...I remember when I was learning the chemical symbols....oh, yeah...boring, but mixing certain chemicals together and coming up with combinations...yes...I used to scare my professor..hehe  so did my middle son Michael...and he scared me at home as he was always trying something...yikes![B)]

"Just Me, Lo" Loretta

Offline moonfire

• Neilep Level Member
  • Can't stand the heat, step away from the fire!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.m2global.com/stormdiamonds
« Reply #29 on: 01/10/2006 03:09:43 »
Now we have not even touched cold elements at all yet...hehe

"Just Me, Lo" Loretta

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 01/10/2006 05:06:41 »
I would not know one from the other as my science S****S!

Karen

another_someone

« Reply #31 on: 01/10/2006 11:10:18 »
quote:
Originally posted by Karen W.
OH that is really cool. thats interesting,! If it burns brighter does that also mean it will burn hotter, and perhaps apply that to powering something when the presence of water comes into play!! I am not sure I phrased that the way I meant it! Answer me first and I will see if that is what I meant, I confused myself!! LOL not hard to do at all!

Burning hotter does not necessarily mean producing more energy, you also have to take into account how long it will burn.

I cannot believe that having to use the energy of combustion to disassociate water will actually provide more energy overall than using free oxygen (even if it is diatomic oxygen) that does not need to use energy to disassociate water; but I can well imagine that the oxygen in water may be more available in some way to the magnesium, and so allow the magnesium to burn faster.

George

Offline Gaia

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 01/10/2006 13:09:13 »
quote:
Originally posted by another_someone

Science is easy.  Now, languages confuse me.  OK, it does not help that we never actually learn formal grammar in school here, so there is a lot about the structure of language that we are missing; but I think the bigger problem is that I have a very visual memory, and I cannot remember sounds.

Geography is OK only insofar as I can remember maps (visual again).  History, I used to have problems at school with (but then there were lost of things I could learn outside school, but got bored with at school), but I always enjoyed history away from school.  Not that good with dates, but am OK with remembering the relationships between events (that was always the problem with school - they tried to teach history as a series of isolated events, rather than a set of interrelated events).

George

Georgie, you may not have learnt formal grammar in school but I did - right down to Greek and Latin roots (in English lessons). But then you never were that keen on formal education - you're much better at 'teach yourself' 'cos you can study what and when you like.

I like the Montessori rational, learning through play!!!

Gaia  xxx

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 01/10/2006 18:11:15 »
I do better with hands on too!

Karen

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #33 on: 01/10/2006 18:11:15 »