The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Nervous System Problem  (Read 2989 times)

Offline PmbPhy

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Nervous System Problem
« on: 26/12/2014 21:05:28 »
I appear to have a severe problem with what appears to be my nervous system. I just noticed can't hold a book in my hands without my hands trembling. My hands tremble so much that I can't hold the book  correctly, i.e. so I can read it. What could be the problem?
« Last Edit: 27/12/2014 03:19:43 by PmbPhy »

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Nervous System Problem
« Reply #1 on: 27/12/2014 04:18:52 »
Is this a new problem?  Something that has been building over time?

Talk to your doctor about it.

Tremor can be caused by, many drugs such as Caffeine, Lithium,  Haloperidol, and a number of other meds.  Some are reversed with removal of the meds, however, some are not fully reversed with removal of the meds.

There are also disease states such as Parkinson's Disease which a medical doctor should be able to help you with.

Offline PmbPhy

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27/12/2014 04:31:16 »
Quote from: CliffordK
Is this a new problem?  Something that has been building over time?
Hi Cliff. Thanks do much for responding, Cliff.  :)

It appears to have been building over time.  I was planning on talking to my doctor during my next session next month.

Tremor can be caused by, many drugs such as Caffeine, Lithium,  Haloperidol, and a number of other meds.  Some are reversed with removal of the meds, however, some are not fully reversed with removal of the meds.
I was thinking that it had to do with the narcotics I take for pain.

There are also disease states such as Parkinson's Disease which a medical doctor should be able to help you with.
Hey! That's a idea. I'll let you know what happens. Thanks, Cliff.

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27/12/2014 05:46:46 »
I think the risk of tremors with alcohol and narcotics is related to withdrawal symptoms.

Offline PmbPhy

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27/12/2014 06:00:15 »
I think the risk of tremors with alcohol and narcotics is related to withdrawal symptoms.
Thanks. I think you're right. That's probably why I've never noticed it much before unless its been some time between doses.

Offline cheryl j

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28/12/2014 12:50:54 »
The nervous system is very adaptable and compensates for the depressant actions of the medication by up regulating so you can still move normally and at the correct speed to make contact with objects. But then when that depressant is removed from your system, it takes a while to down regulate, so people experience shakiness in their motor movements, and it may even explain temporary psychological sensitivity or irritability as well.

Here's an interesting test - is the tremor worse in left or right hand, and are you left or right handed?

Offline PmbPhy

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05/01/2015 20:39:15 »
Quote from: cheryl
Here's an interesting test - is the tremor worse in left or right hand, and are you left or right handed?
Hi Cheryl,

The tremor is not worse on either side. I'm right handed. I saw the doctor today and she's sending me to see a neurologist.

Offline alancalverd

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • life is too short to drink instant coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 05/01/2015 22:44:38 »
A quick suggestion: does it improve if you take a hefty slug of sugar? Chocolate often works surprisingly well. If not, and if it turns out to be early Parkinsons, you can get a lot of symptom relief from medication. Best wishes for a quick diagnosis and relief of whatever it is, my friend.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #7 on: 05/01/2015 22:44:38 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums