The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: How can I clean up the ocean?  (Read 1310 times)

Offline thedoc

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
How can I clean up the ocean?
« on: 30/12/2014 23:30:01 »
Justin asked the Naked Scientists:
I want to clean the beaches, lakes and oceans in my neighborhood was reading Mr. Lomax article ((Ocean Cleaners)) and I was thinking maybe if I bought some photoplanktons and dumped them in the ocean that would help or I was thinking about buying seagrass or eelgrass but I could not find them or maybe I could plant some algea?? Do you have some suggestions on how I could clean up the beach in my area?

What do you think?
« Last Edit: 30/12/2014 23:30:01 by _system »

Offline alancalverd

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • life is too short to drink instant coffee
    • View Profile
Re: How can I clean up the ocean?
« Reply #1 on: 31/12/2014 00:17:08 »
First, you need to stop the tide, otherwise everything you do will be swept away and replaced with crap twice a day. After that, anything is possible.

Offline CliffordK

• Neilep Level Member
  • Site Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 31/12/2014 00:23:04 »
DO NOT DUMP foreign plants into the ocean without first contacting your local government and regulatory bodies. 

There should be plenty of naturally occurring algae, plankton, and etc, most which has evolved local to your area.  Importing some from another area or another country would mean the introduction of invasive species, and could do far more harm than good.

You will read many stories of invasive species which were imported to do good, but in the end are far more aggressive than originally intended, although there are a few success stories. 

For example, here we have a European Beach Grass which is just destroying our sand dunes.  Now one might argue that it is doing its intended job, just a little too well.  Somebody also had the bright idea of importing gorse, which is like a living barbed wire fence, the only problem is that it doesn't stay put.

On the other hand, dung beetles have been an important augmentation to areas where cattle have been imported, and the Cinnabar Moth has been very help in controlling Tansy Ragwort, another invasive species.

As far as cleaning the beach, what about organizing a bunch of friends to do a spring beach cleanup after the winter storms have washed junk up onto the beaches?  Another thing to do is to discourage littering and the contamination of our waterways.

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #2 on: 31/12/2014 00:23:04 »

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums