The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: FAO Exodus  (Read 14836 times)

Offline Andy28

• View Profile
FAO Exodus
« on: 19/09/2006 16:42:43 »
There was a scheduled Electric chair execution in Tennessee. It was set for today but the prisoners lawyer has won a stay.

Offline Karen W.

• Naked Science Forum GOD!
  • "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
Re: FAO Exodus
« Reply #1 on: 19/09/2006 17:10:16 »
Thats depressing!

Karen

Offline Andy28

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19/09/2006 18:11:09 »
Yes but it's also interesting! As it's not very often you here of the chair being used nowadays. The man is a bit strange because he asked to be fried rather than face lethal injection. Strange character! lol

Offline Mirage

• Neilep Level Member
  • Dry Hump anyone?
    • View Profile
    • http://brokenzanymind.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: 19/09/2006 22:21:58 »
Or mentally disturbed, which in theory would get him off a death penalty surely!!

-------------------------
Flying Monkey Slayer AKA The Big Cheese

another_someone

« Reply #4 on: 19/09/2006 22:51:30 »
quote:
Originally posted by Mirage
Or mentally disturbed, which in theory would get him off a death penalty surely!!

I would regard about 90% of murderers to be mentally disturbed, but that does not let them off the hook.

George

Offline ukmicky

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.space-talk.com/
« Reply #5 on: 20/09/2006 00:29:42 »
I don't believe in the death penalty , its a let off .

Some one found guilty of a crime which would warrant such a penalty should be placed in a prison for life and made to do hard labour for the rest of it. And of course if during their imprisonment if its found that a miscarriage of justice has occurred then at least their will be someone to release.

Michael
« Last Edit: 20/09/2006 00:33:50 by ukmicky »

another_someone

« Reply #6 on: 20/09/2006 01:22:33 »
quote:
Originally posted by ukmicky

To a substantial extent I would agree with you - which ofcourse is why people like Ian Huntley choose to commit suicide.

quote:

And of course if during their imprisonment if its found that a miscarriage of justice has occurred then at least their will be someone to release.

While, from the judicial point of view, this is a good thing; for someone who has spent 20 years in prison for a crime they have not commited, the man who walks out of prison is just a shell of a man - he has very little life left (not just in terms of years, but in terms of the trauma of being imprisoned for a crime you did not commit - I have heard this is more difficult than doing time for a crime where you at least know that you are the cause of your own fate - and after 20 years out of circulation, you are unemployable, and will find it generally very difficult to reintegrate into society).

George

Offline Andy28

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20/09/2006 12:22:12 »
Life in prison would be a suitable punishment if it was like living on death row for life. However, lifers at present get a better quality of life behind bars than those on death row. On death row you are completely isolated and do not come out of your cell apart from for 1 hour excersize and family/Legal visits. I would imagine after a few years of that you would be dying to go to the death chamber (so to speak).

Offline Gaia

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 20/09/2006 16:48:17 »
In my opinion the death sentence is nothing but legalised murder! What's also bad is that the people who make the decision then rely on someone else to carry it out.

Gaia  xxx

Offline Mirage

• Neilep Level Member
  • Dry Hump anyone?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 20/09/2006 16:59:17 »
quote:
Originally posted by another_someone

quote:

I would regard about 90% of murderers to be mentally disturbed, but that does not let them off the hook.

George

I see your point.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 19/09/2006 17:10:16 »
Thats depressing!

Karen

Offline Andy28

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 19/09/2006 18:11:09 »
Yes but it's also interesting! As it's not very often you here of the chair being used nowadays. The man is a bit strange because he asked to be fried rather than face lethal injection. Strange character! lol

Offline Mirage

• Neilep Level Member
  • Dry Hump anyone?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 19/09/2006 22:21:58 »

another_someone

« Reply #13 on: 19/09/2006 22:51:30 »
quote:

George

Offline ukmicky

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.space-talk.com/
« Reply #14 on: 20/09/2006 00:29:42 »

Some one found guilty of a crime which would warrant such a penalty should be placed in a prison for life and made to do hard labour for the rest of it. And of course if during their imprisonment if its found that a miscarriage of justice has occurred then at least their will be someone to release.

Michael
« Last Edit: 20/09/2006 00:33:50 by ukmicky »

another_someone

« Reply #15 on: 20/09/2006 01:22:33 »
quote:
Originally posted by ukmicky

To a substantial extent I would agree with you - which ofcourse is why people like Ian Huntley choose to commit suicide.

quote:

And of course if during their imprisonment if its found that a miscarriage of justice has occurred then at least their will be someone to release.

While, from the judicial point of view, this is a good thing; for someone who has spent 20 years in prison for a crime they have not commited, the man who walks out of prison is just a shell of a man - he has very little life left (not just in terms of years, but in terms of the trauma of being imprisoned for a crime you did not commit - I have heard this is more difficult than doing time for a crime where you at least know that you are the cause of your own fate - and after 20 years out of circulation, you are unemployable, and will find it generally very difficult to reintegrate into society).

George

Offline Andy28

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 20/09/2006 12:22:12 »
Life in prison would be a suitable punishment if it was like living on death row for life. However, lifers at present get a better quality of life behind bars than those on death row. On death row you are completely isolated and do not come out of your cell apart from for 1 hour excersize and family/Legal visits. I would imagine after a few years of that you would be dying to go to the death chamber (so to speak).

Offline Gaia

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 20/09/2006 16:48:17 »
In my opinion the death sentence is nothing but legalised murder! What's also bad is that the people who make the decision then rely on someone else to carry it out.

Gaia  xxx

Offline Mirage

• Neilep Level Member
  • Dry Hump anyone?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 20/09/2006 16:59:17 »
quote:
Originally posted by another_someone

quote:

George

I see your point.

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 21/09/2006 15:23:49 »
Any one ever thought about the burden this puts on the person having to carry out this kind of penalty!! I could not take anothers life, and to think about what that would do to in my mind would be devastating! To become so hardened that I could do such a thing is uncomprehendable to me? I don't know anyone in that position, but I am sure there must be reprecuccions of mental dilema, wouldn't you think?? So very sad that we as a country would lay that kind of a burden on another human being ...taking another life because perhaps he or she took one... I was always taught that taking any life was not acceptable, and that two wrongs do not make a right!! I believe the older I get the more I believe this to be true!! I agre with you Michael... whats a bit of money and jail for life in comparison to adding this kind of burden to an innocent soul!! Scares the soup out of me!!!:([B)][:0]

Karen
« Last Edit: 21/09/2006 15:25:11 by Karen W. »

Offline Andy28

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 21/09/2006 21:11:59 »
As an adult you have to take responsibilty. If you are foolish enough to murder someone while being fully aware of the consequences i think death is nothing more than you deserve. I do, however, think that it is wrong that some people get the death penalty and others get life. I would like to see capital crimes dealt with by death everytime and very swiftly. I think it's wrong to keep someone incarcerated for years before carrying out the sentence of death. That is no better than torture.

another_someone

« Reply #21 on: 22/09/2006 05:36:45 »
quote:
Originally posted by Andy28

As an adult you have to take responsibilty. If you are foolish enough to murder someone while being fully aware of the consequences i think death is nothing more than you deserve. I do, however, think that it is wrong that some people get the death penalty and others get life. I would like to see capital crimes dealt with by death everytime and very swiftly. I think it's wrong to keep someone incarcerated for years before carrying out the sentence of death. That is no better than torture.

Firstly - you should never put someone in a position where they have nothing more to lose.  If you place someone in a position where, if they are caught, there is an automatic punishment, and they know that whatever they do now will not alter that situation (by either making it worse, or mitigating it in any way), then you have lost control over that person.

Secondly, I suspect the vast majority of murders are not premeditated in cold blood.  Any crime that leads to the death of a person (even if you had not intended that death) is classified as murder.  Also, many murders are committed in the heat of the moment, and are not cold blooded at all.  In neither case can you be said to have acted in the full knowledge of the consequences of your action, although there is no doubt that you were foolish in your actions.

Ofcourse, there are some murders which are deliberate, calculated, and cold blooded; but they are in my view the exception rather than the rule.

George

Offline Andy28

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 22/09/2006 08:17:14 »
But is'nt that why they have degrees of murder? Death penalty is only be for first degree murder. The death penalty will remain so everyone needs to get used to it.
« Last Edit: 22/09/2006 08:17:48 by Andy28 »

another_someone

« Reply #23 on: 22/09/2006 11:33:16 »
quote:
Originally posted by Andy28
But is'nt that why they have degrees of murder? Death penalty is only be for first degree murder. The death penalty will remain so everyone needs to get used to it.

I am not sure, but I think the US 2nd degree murder is our manslaughter (i.e. where homicide occurs through negligence, but where there is no criminal intent or malice of any kind).  I do not believe 2nd degree murder either refers to homicide committed in a fit of anger, nor homicide that occurs as a accidental by-product of another crime (i.e. the malice associated with the other crime, even if death was not the intention, is still regarded as being malice that brought about a death).

George

Offline Karen W.

• "come fly with me"
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 23/09/2006 11:39:31 »
right on George!

Karen

The Naked Scientists Forum

« Reply #24 on: 23/09/2006 11:39:31 »