The Naked Scientists

The Naked Scientists Forum

Author Topic: Is it possible to build a full size car that gets 200 miles per gallon?  (Read 26153 times)

Offline wolfekeeper

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
Re: It's possible to build a full size car that gets 200 mpg
« Reply #50 on: 06/03/2015 11:54:09 »
Electric cars have the amazing innovation, found 'nowhere else', called 'Satellite Navigation System' which tells you where you are and car also tells you how far you can go before recharging. It's actually pretty hard to run out.

And the fast chargers only need to be on the motorways, you don't need them in the inner cities much at all. Inner cities usually use 'level 2' chargers; which are up to 19 kW but can just be 13 amps at 240 volts. A 7kW charger gives you a mile every 2 minutes, so if you go to the store for half an hour you get 15 miles of range, which is plenty for going to the store.

In other words, virtually every single thing you've said in this thread is flat wrong.

Electric cars are literally better cars than your god-awful stone-age diesel, and mostly easier to use. Small cars like the Nissan Leaf are not very good for long distances, but they can do them, they're just somewhat slower. Most people that do frequent long distance driving would be better off with a plug-hybrid; you literally can get 200 mpg range with a plug-in hybrid (mpge is not 200 though!)

Offline alancalverd

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
  • life is too short to drink instant coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 06/03/2015 17:17:00 »
Practically all cars have a gadget that tells you how much fuel you have left, and most nowadays will tell you where you are. But still, even after 100 years of adaptation, the most common callout for the rescue services is "out of fuel". The ability to quickly get fuel into the car anywhere, any time, is extremely useful. 

No fast chargers in town? So I drive from London to Oxford but I can't go directly to my client's premises because I won't be able to leave the city: I have to stop at a motorway service station just before I get there. But annoyingly, they don't put motorway service stations close to the cities - that wouldn't be sensible, would it? 

Everything you have said about electric cars is indeed true, which is why I don't have one. I buy machines to make my life easier, not more complicated.

The plug-in hybrid is an unnecessary branch on the evolutionary tree.  I guess it's a response to the California  zero-emissions requirement and an anticipation of similar legislation in European cities, but a large battery pack is an encumbrance - better to use buses and taxis in town anyway. If you run a diesel engine or preferably a gas turbine at constant speed and use an infinitely-variable electric transmission to couple it to the wheels, you can end up with an extremely efficient, fast, long range vehicle. There is already an aeroplane flying with just this system: a fuselage-mounted turbine/generator feeding electric motors driving propellors on the wings. 

Offline wolfekeeper

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 06/03/2015 17:38:43 »
There certainly are fast chargers in London, but you don't need many of them.

The plug-in hybrid is an unnecessary branch on the evolutionary tree.

We Have Been Told. Please take your arrogance over to another website and don't bother to come back.

Offline alancalverd

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 07/03/2015 00:37:19 »
There certainly are fast chargers in London, but you don't need many of them.

There are, according to TfL, almost 7,000,000 car parking spaces in London. If all road vehicles were electric, how many of these spaces would you want to have fast chargers? If not all, how will traffic flow be affected by people queuing to get to the fast charger before they look for a parking space?

Human greed and idiocy being what they are, whenever petrol is in short supply, people will queue for hours to get whatever is on offer and garages limit the amount they dispense to each car. The way to eliminate queues is instead to set a minimum quantity: you will be billed for at least 5 gallons, however little you take. But I can't see how that would shorten the queue for electric chargers as some people will indeed need a 20 minute charge.

But trolleybuses are a very good idea, if you have a reliable source of electricity.
« Last Edit: 07/03/2015 00:41:13 by alancalverd »

Offline wolfekeeper

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 07/03/2015 02:19:24 »
There are, according to TfL, almost 7,000,000 car parking spaces in London. If all road vehicles were electric, how many of these spaces would you want to have fast chargers?
Want?

All of them!

But need?

Almost none!!

Not in central London anyway; on the main roads out of central London, sure.

Fast chargers- the level 3 chargers that can deliver 80% charge in 20 minutes, you don't really need them within a city; or perhaps just a few for the taxis.

What we have here is a fundamental lack of understanding on your part. Plug-in hybrids, you claim that they're not necessary; but all new London taxi cabs are plug-in hybrids. The taxi drivers can make an extra 10k a year using hybrids. According to you, hybrids are a waste of space; but a diesel London taxi gets 15 mpg. A plug-in hybrid gets more like 80 mpg(e) in the same conditions. Other dinosaur powered cars get similarly awful mileage.

And we see similar complete lack of understanding and imagination on electric cars.

If not all, how will traffic flow be affected by people queuing to get to the fast charger before they look for a parking space?
Why would anyone fast charge before parking??? You do charging while you're parked, and only if you need to. In the context of London, you'd have to live more than 30 miles from where you work to need to do any charging at all; or live somewhere that had no provision for charging. A full level 2 charge only takes 3.5 hours, which happens while you're working, if you even need it. A fast level 3 charge is completely unnecessary in virtually all cases within London. Imagine if every road and car park has a short row of level 2 chargers on it- cos that's where we're headed.

You think you're being clever, but you're simply showing your absolute and total ignorance.

Offline alancalverd

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 07/03/2015 08:39:13 »

Why would anyone fast charge before parking??? You do charging while you're parked, and only if you need to. In the context of London, you'd have to live more than 30 miles from where you work to need to do any charging at all; or live somewhere that had no provision for charging. A full level 2 charge only takes 3.5 hours, which happens while you're working, if you even need it. A fast level 3 charge is completely unnecessary in virtually all cases within London. Imagine if every road and car park has a short row of level 2 chargers on it- cos that's where we're headed.

There's a difference between need and want. Unfortunately, cars are driven by humans, most of whom are driven by want, and do not have any intention of spending more than an hour parked in any particular place (blokes do stuff and move on, only girls go shopping). But let's consider a real need.

If I lived in London I wouldn't own a car anyway, and when I had a 9 to 5 job in the city, I rarely drove to work unless I was intending to go somewhere else in the evening. But now as a tradesman having to drive my Leaf 50 miles to get to a 1 hour job in the West End, I'm going to need a full charge before setting off for the next task. So I need a Level 3 charger, but as you say there won't be very many, and they will be occupied by taxis, I can see myself having to queue for an hour before parking somewhere else.

Life is complicated enough trying to find time to work without neglecting a dog and a girlfriend. I want a car that makes it simpler and saves time. I don't care if it's powered by a nuclear reactor or fairydust, but it has to travel at 70 mph for at least 300 miles then take no longer to refuel than it takes me to empty my bladder, and have a life expectancy of at least 200,000 miles before major overhaul or replacement. Right now, a non-plugin hybrid seems to be the best alternative to a diesel but the actual performance figures and cost of ownership are, apparently, disappointing.

Offline wolfekeeper

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 07/03/2015 10:45:08 »
I'm sorry if you somehow got the wrong impression that this thread is about your opinions, needs or wants in a car; but we really don't care about you at all. Please take your car shopping list to another website.

Offline alancalverd

• Global Moderator
  • Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 07/03/2015 11:57:24 »
Quote from: wolfekeeper

We Have Been Told.

but we really don't care about you at all.

I apologise for wasting Your Majesty's time. I had no idea I was addressing royalty.
« Last Edit: 07/03/2015 11:59:06 by alancalverd »

Offline janamh

• First timers
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 30/06/2015 16:33:23 »
Hopefully it will be possible, I saw this a while ago

newbielink:http://blog.4wheelonline.com/2015/03/04/ford-plans-to-debut-electric-vehicle-with-200-mile-range-later-this-year/ [nonactive]

I don't think an electric car with 200mpg is too far fetched, and hopefully they don't have issues with the batteries like the chevy volt  :-\

Offline wolfekeeper

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 02/07/2015 16:09:09 »
You can't get an electric car with 200mpg, because where would you put the gallon, and how would it use it?

Offline Drifty

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: 29/10/2016 13:22:52 »
Something happened to the links to my videos in my posts so I'm going to repost them.  There must be some kind of glitch.  If they disappear again, do YouTube searches on the titles.

"Running Your Car on Gas Vapor - Stop Getting Screwed at The Pump"

This white vapor comes from separating the Atoms in gasoline.

the truth about gas and vapor part 1

the truth about gas and vapor part 2

Diesels, Gaswagons & Zyklon-B Part 3 of 6

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=200%2B+MPG+Gasoline+Vaporizer+Project+Original+Design+%28Driving+On+Only+Gasoline+Vapor%29 [nofollow]

Here's some additional info.

http://fuel-efficient-vehicles.org/energy-news/?page_id=968 [nofollow]
http://www.rexresearch.com/auto2/blackmoreconomy.pdf [nofollow]
http://www.apparentlyapparel.com/uploads/5/3/5/6/5356442/200mpg-carb.pdf [nofollow]

http://watchdocumentary.org/watch/gashole-video_4af5b6c2e.html [nofollow]

If the above link disappears, click on this one.
https://www.google.es/?gfe_rd=cr&ei=eJEUWN-sGeOJ8QfqiIGgDg&gws_rd=ssl#q=Gashole [nofollow]

The name of the documentary is, "Gashole".

Offline syhprum

• Neilep Level Member
    • View Profile
I have seen it published many times the answer is to have a wind driven generator generating Hydrogen from water that is injected into the engine giving vastly improved efficiency (the faster you go the more Hydrogen you get).
Kits are available for $1000.00

The Naked Scientists Forum

SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums